Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I understand your not responding to me and I was not attacking you at all. Sorry if it came across that way.
You came across a bit stubborn (I'm sure I do as well, sometimes). I didn't feel attacked, though. No apology necessary.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCowl View Post
I'm glad to see some posters are at least agreeing with me. I gave the city a chance and stayed where I felt we could walk to all the attractions. Unfortunately it was a bad decision. As for those saying Peachtree has many restaurants I saw maybe one block of restaurants and then it was a ghost town on either side. I also must admit the MARTA on some trips didnt feel that safe either to me at night. We did end up renting a car the last three days and headed to Mall of Georgia, Atlantic Station and Stone Mountain which were enjoyable. Also on the way to airport we ended up stopping for gas in Lakewood and lets just say that was the icing on the cake for my wife.
I listed well over a dozen restaurants. They are all in the Peachtree Center area near your hotel, and not all of them are on Peachtree. If you walked down Peachtree and didn't find a suitable restaurant, that says more about you than it does about Atlanta.

I was in Chicago a couple years ago, wandering around between the library and Grant Park. I was getting hungry and didn't see any restaurants on the route I was walking. It's possible you were just walking down the streets that didn't have restaurants. All the cities that I've visited have streets like that.

Last edited by JPD; 01-04-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think things will change anytime soon with the vibrancy of downtown at night and I do believe you would have had a more enjoyable time in Midtown, but it isn't necessarily your fault that you didn't know that downtown Atlanta was going to be dead. People generally do not research whether or not a downtown is energetic or not....you just assume that it is. I mean, it is the downtown area after all...generally, the most dense part of a metro area.

But...unfortunately, people on these boards would rather blame the tourist then the city itself.
Actually, quite the opposite is the case. Every thread in which a visitor asks for recommendations, and there have been many, we tell them to get out of downtown and visit places like Little Five Points, Virginia Highland, Midtown, Buckhead, Grant Park, Stone Mountain, etc. And we do that because we openly acknowledge that Downtown is usually dead.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Typical troll response.

This site needs age requirement of 25 or something.
It needs a testosterone limit.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
It needs a testosterone limit
Ok, new rule= No juicing before logging onto City Data.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
When my late husband and I visited Atlanta years ago, someone took us to the Underground area. Very entertaining. I know it had to be closed, which is too bad.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
What happened to a top tier hotel like the Hyatt having a concierge or other guest related services that can make recommendations? Perhaps the Hyatt needs a better person in this position or it wasn't utilized properly, but I know this is one way to find inside info and I am not near as travelled as the OP.

My good friend took his wife on an anniversary trip to NYC a couple of years back via the Southern Crescent from Brookwood Station. They did several of the standard touristy sites but one evening asked their concierge for a recommendation for an authentic NYC restaurant experience off the beaten tourist path. He got them reservations at an Italian restaurant on a side street. They ended up sitting at a table next to Adam Sandler. They didn't hound him because they aren't that type of people, but a celeb siting like that ended up being a great memory to make the trip extra special.

Certainly all the downtown hotels have people on staff that can steer tourists to interesting places and give basic instructions on getting around. A simple explanation that going from the Hyatt south on Peachtree and cutting thru Fairlie Poplar to get to Centennial Park as opposed to the straight line thru the rather uninviting trade mart buildings is one of those little things that a local would know that would make it much more interesting for a visitor. Just a thought.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What is a "real NYCer"? What makes a real and fake NYCer?
Seriously? I'm guessing your familiarity with NYC extends to 3 day trips and movies/tv.

Here is the breakdown in order:

1. A real New Yorker is a New Yorker born in one of the five boroughs (though Richmond County has a dubious distinction in the realness category) and has either lived there their entire lives within the confines NYC or spent at least the entirety of their pre-adult years.

2. Overseas immigrants hold a special place in NYC life. A part of the city yet they continue to bring their home with them. They are neither real nor fake New Yorkers, but definitely above fake New Yorkers.

3. Fake New Yorkers is anyone who is from somewhere else who moves to NYC...and acts like a native after living there for a month. They have arguments about the best pizza or bagels but couldn't tell you why. They act smug about other cities (usually where they came from) saying things like "I don't understand how anyone can live there?!". They go to Times Square because they want to, not because they have to. They "claim" Brooklyn, but are afraid to go to Flatbush. They are in an eternal conflict with real New Yorkers whom would be just fine if the city was reduced to rubble...if it meant the fake New Yorkers would be gone forever.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post

I grew up in NYC on the UES and a lot of the city is DEAD at night. People have some weird fantasies about NYC. And there were articles a few years back in NYC papers people complaining when they moved downtown how hard it was to find a grocery store.

Thanks for shedding some light. People do have some strange fantasies about NYC.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Seriously? I'm guessing your familiarity with NYC extends to 3 day trips and movies/tv.

Here is the breakdown in order:

1. A real New Yorker is a New Yorker born in one of the five boroughs (though Richmond County has a dubious distinction in the realness category) and has either lived there their entire lives within the confines NYC or spent at least the entirety of their pre-adult years.

2. Overseas immigrants hold a special place in NYC life. A part of the city yet they continue to bring their home with them. They are neither real nor fake New Yorkers, but definitely above fake New Yorkers.

3. Fake New Yorkers is anyone who is from somewhere else who moves to NYC...and acts like a native after living there for a month. They have arguments about the best pizza or bagels but couldn't tell you why. They act smug about other cities (usually where they came from) saying things like "I don't understand how anyone can live there?!". They go to Times Square because they want to, not because they have to. They "claim" Brooklyn, but are afraid to go to Flatbush. They are in an eternal conflict with real New Yorkers whom would be just fine if the city was reduced to rubble...if it meant the fake New Yorkers would be gone forever.
I know about this argument...I've read about it many times in the NYC forum, but I asked him specifically what makes a real NYCer. I don't want or need your opinion. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta