Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Why are you guys bashing the OP? Two years before moving to Atlanta, I made the same mistake. I came down to visit for a weekend, and I booked a hotel downtown (the big Hyatt on Peachtree) cause my NYC brain said that's where all the action is. I was shocked to see what a ghost town, downtown was. You guys using 3 am as a reference, I was shocked to wake up Monday morning and looking out the window to find Peachtree empty at 9 am. At the time I worked in the Wall Street area, so it was really weird that downtown ATL looked like the set from "I Am Legend" on a Monday morning. Now that I live here and understand the dynamics here, it makes sense to me now. As much as I love Atlanta, downtown will never be brought back to life due to the overall non-progressive attitude of the Metro area's residents. Living in NYC we used to joke about the "bridge and tunnel" folks, but that is exactly what Atlanta needs to breathe some life into it's downtown. We need some progressive suburban "bridge and tunnel" folks to invest and appreciate the value of cities, and not just look down on them. In the interim, please ease up on people just trying to share their opinion.
You are so correct. I've lived here for ever and an age, and I don't think being an out of region tourist in downtown would be such a swell thing. However, I believe that, despite all of our challenges, Atlanta is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. But, to be a tourist? Not so much so.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I said the same when I was in the Bronx

DOWNTOWN LA , San Diego, Bmore, Miami, Dallas, Houston,etc

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I said the same when I was in the Bronx

DOWNTOWN LA , San Diego, Bmore, Miami, Dallas, Houston,etc
Bronx isn't the center of NYC....how can you compare an outer borough with downtown Atlanta, the center of the metropolitan area?

It's easier and more fair to compare Manhattan with Downtown/Midtown Atlanta since that's the central hub of NYC.

Admit it....Atlanta is dead at night and morning and it will NEVER get eve half as vibrant as the big apple.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Admit it....Atlanta is dead at night and morning and it will NEVER get eve half as vibrant as the big apple.
You are right. Not in my lifetime. But, ya know, that's okay. I will never be able to afford to live in Manhattan and raise a family either. But, I can in live in Midtown Atlanta and do that. To many of us in Atlanta, night life is not that important. I know to folks younger than I am that it is, and Atlanta still offers nightlife to those who would like to seek it out. I, as do many others, live here for something other than that, though. That's Atlanta. All of the comparisons to NYC aren't, well, particularly relevant. It's an apples and oranges thing, I think.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
WARNING:

Things are getting personal, and confrontational. Stop. If you wish to keep the thread open, then debate WITHOUT the jabs, please.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You are right. Not in my lifetime. But, ya know, that's okay. I will never be able to afford to live in Manhattan and raise a family either. But, I can in live in Midtown Atlanta and do that. To many of us in Atlanta, night life is not that important. I know to folks younger than I am that it is, and Atlanta still offers nightlife to those who would like to seek it out. I, as do many others, live here for something other than that, though. That's Atlanta. All of the comparisons to NYC aren't, well, particularly relevant. It's an apples and oranges thing, I think.
I would say apples and peaches

Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
Nice sales pitch, but you are DEAD wrong with respect to the DOWNTOWN district. It is NOT more vibrant down there today than it was in earlier times.
You don't seem to be very familiar with the downtown area.

GSU has made downtown better than it was. I went to GSU for the entirety of the '90s, and I have been working downtown for 13 years. Thanks to the olympic park, and the expansion of GSU, including the creation of student housing, the downtown area is far nicer and more vibrant than it was in the '90s.

I went to a concert at the Rialto ten years ago, or so. We wanted to get a beer and maybe a snack before the show at a bar or restaurant nearby, but at that time there were zero bars or restaurants nearby to get a beer. Now, there are many options.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Bronx isn't the center of NYC....how can you compare an outer borough with downtown Atlanta, the center of the metropolitan area?

It's easier and more fair to compare Manhattan with Downtown/Midtown Atlanta since that's the central hub of NYC.

You are the only one making a direct comparison between NYC and Atlanta. I like how you also ignored the other cities he mentioned that also have "weak" downtowns just so you COULD make a NYC comparison.

I can tell you are close to my age becuase your immature attitude and brain haven't developed much. I bet you are a under 25 male living at home in the burbs right?

Last edited by GeorgiatoChina; 01-02-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Why are you guys bashing the OP? Two years before moving to Atlanta, I made the same mistake. I came down to visit for a weekend, and I booked a hotel downtown (the big Hyatt on Peachtree) cause my NYC brain said that's where all the action is. I was shocked to see what a ghost town, downtown was. You guys using 3 am as a reference, I was shocked to wake up Monday morning and looking out the window to find Peachtree empty at 9 am. At the time I worked in the Wall Street area, so it was really weird that downtown ATL looked like the set from "I Am Legend" on a Monday morning. Now that I live here and understand the dynamics here, it makes sense to me now. As much as I love Atlanta, downtown will never be brought back to life due to the overall non-progressive attitude of the Metro area's residents. Living in NYC we used to joke about the "bridge and tunnel" folks, but that is exactly what Atlanta needs to breathe some life into it's downtown. We need some progressive suburban "bridge and tunnel" folks to invest and appreciate the value of cities, and not just look down on them. In the interim, please ease up on people just trying to share their opinion.

The point is ;

1. He (and you)should have researched the city a bit to know where stuff was before coming because having done that he'd know midtown and northern downtown had more.

2. He could have easily hopped on Marta and been at the aforementioned areas based on where he was, but he did not a kick of research to see that.

No sunbelt metro over 2 million people, not even LA or Miami for that matter has most or much of the "action" in thier downtowns. It only take 10-20 minutes of research to know this if you don't live in the sunbelt region.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

95 posts, read 186,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I went to GSU for the entirety of the '90s, and I have been working downtown for 13 years.
Downtown has expanded outward, but for the most part the area around 5 points station has not improved in my opinion from 1992. That particular area which is the center of the downtown district has not improved. The aquarium and olympic park areas have improved but I wouldn't consider those areas to ever have been very vibrant, even today.

I would consider 5 points to be the center of Atlanta where most clueless visitors go first. Everything around that area was already there in 1992 when I visited as a kid. All the same major hotels, marta, the Hard Rock, etc. etc. were all there and still are the main and only attractions within walking distance.

The aquarium and other features were an OUTWARD expansion, not an improvement of the central downtown district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta