U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,518,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Im going to Atlanta this spring to see world of Coca Cola so I thought I would check out what else is new. But I dont think I would spend any time at any of those new places. If I was outlet shopping I would go to either Jersy Gardens or the Outlet Collection in Seattle both over a million square ft . And I dont understand how a U.S. headquarters for Porshe would be a tourist attraction. And the Markets new marketplaces are both just mixed use developments great for the city but far from a tourist attraction. Other food Markets that are tourist draws in other cities cater to only food , entertainment, and retail. Those are office and residential complexes with ground floor retail. The biggest the I saw was in Buckhead at a million Square ft . Compared to other Marketplaces thats small I hate to compare but so you can grasp the concept Pike Place Market is 9 square blocks of shops, stores, malls, resteraunts and farmer market's several million square ft and no office complexes. Thats the extreme but google Reading Farmers Market in Philly that would be kool if Atlanta had somthing like that, I would enjoy that. I will probably visit the Aquarim while Im there I think thats a world class attraction.
Well, you certainly shouldn't check any of these out in the spring because none of them will be open.

Porsche is planning a new "Porsche Experience" test track adjacent to their HQ. So Porsche enthusiasts will probably be interested.

Atlanta's strategy isn't necessarily to get tourists to come here just to see one particular attraction or "experience the city". It is to have people who are coming to the city for other purposes enjoy it more and potentially extend their trip by a day or two. That's not really the most exciting-sounding approach, but when a few tens of millions of people come here ever year for business, sports, or conferences/events, if you can get a just fraction of them to spend an extra day here you'll create hundreds of millions of dollars of additional economic activity. That's ultimately the goal.

And doing things like replacing City Hall East (which was pretty much a blight, albeit a fascinating and unique blight) with a bustling multi-use development makes Atlanta feel like a more appealing city to visitors. Lots of tourists will end up seeing it one way or another, and they'll be a lot more impressed than they would have been by a sketchy empty building. Atlantic Station is similar--no tourist would come to Atlanta just to see it, but I see tourists there all the time. It's certainly much better for the city than an abandoned steel mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,418,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Im going to Atlanta this spring to see world of Coca Cola so I thought I would check out what else is new. But I dont think I would spend any time at any of those new places. If I was outlet shopping I would go to either Jersy Gardens or the Outlet Collection in Seattle both over a million square ft . And I dont understand how a U.S. headquarters for Porshe would be a tourist attraction. And the Markets new marketplaces are both just mixed use developments great for the city but far from a tourist attraction. Other food Markets that are tourist draws in other cities cater to only food , entertainment, and retail. Those are office and residential complexes with ground floor retail. The biggest the I saw was in Buckhead at a million Square ft . Compared to other Marketplaces thats small I hate to compare but so you can grasp the concept Pike Place Market is 9 square blocks of shops, stores, malls, resteraunts and farmer market's several million square ft and no office complexes. Thats the extreme but google Reading Farmers Market in Philly that would be kool if Atlanta had somthing like that, I would enjoy that. I will probably visit the Aquarim while Im there I think thats a world class attraction.
I listed these projects to let people know the status of major projects in the metro area because I know most people are not aware of their status. I never stated that all of these projects would be tourist attractions. All I'm saying is that by the end of next year local residents and visitors will have a few more things to do here

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-07-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,191,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Funny how u skipped over all the other projects lol
What's funny about it? More than half of what was posted were shopping malls/mixed use developments. That's not taking metro Atlanta to another level. Lakepoint is a great complex - IN BARTOW COUNTY. You think that's going to draw people to Atlanta proper? That would me like me proclaiming a new sporting complex opening in Peekskill, NY or Morristown, NJ is going to take Manhattan or the NYC metro area to another level.

You know what takes a city to another level? World-class transit. Technological centers. Infusion of capital to rebuild poor, decrepit neighborhoods and provide jobs. Great institutions of learning (it has this with Georgia Tech and up and coming Georgia State, but specialty schools are needed too). You think the people who live in Oakland Park or the West End are going to benefit from an outlet mall in Woodstock or a new Ponce Market?

Yes, a College Football Hall of Fame gives an attraction for tourists, as does perhaps this new Porsche test track. But otherwise, Atlanta is still an overgrown suburb with LA-style traffic and a metro population that 90% resides outside city limits. Those things are not going to change that persona or the attitude of people in the metro counties. Without Cobb and Gwinnett willing to chip in to fund expansion of transit, Atlanta is doomed to keep the 'LA of the East' label.

By the way - the trend is for Atlanta itself to shrink in area, not increase. Look at the cities breaking off recently - Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Dunwoody. That trend will continue if MARTA continues to be mismanaged and tax dollars are not allocated properly, with even perhaps N Fulton (Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs) breaking off into its own county a strong possibility.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM

If you say so all the way in Massachusetts. Let us worry about our city and you can do the same for your city.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM

492 posts, read 601,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
What's funny about it? More than half of what was posted were shopping malls/mixed use developments. That's not taking metro Atlanta to another level. Lakepoint is a great complex - IN BARTOW COUNTY. You think that's going to draw people to Atlanta proper? That would me like me proclaiming a new sporting complex opening in Peekskill, NY or Morristown, NJ is going to take Manhattan or the NYC metro area to another level.

You know what takes a city to another level? World-class transit. Technological centers. Infusion of capital to rebuild poor, decrepit neighborhoods and provide jobs. Great institutions of learning (it has this with Georgia Tech and up and coming Georgia State, but specialty schools are needed too). You think the people who live in Oakland Park or the West End are going to benefit from an outlet mall in Woodstock or a new Ponce Market?

Yes, a College Football Hall of Fame gives an attraction for tourists, as does perhaps this new Porsche test track. But otherwise, Atlanta is still an overgrown suburb with LA-style traffic and a metro population that 90% resides outside city limits. Those things are not going to change that persona or the attitude of people in the metro counties. Without Cobb and Gwinnett willing to chip in to fund expansion of transit, Atlanta is doomed to keep the 'LA of the East' label.

By the way - the trend is for Atlanta itself to shrink in area, not increase. Look at the cities breaking off recently - Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Dunwoody. That trend will continue if MARTA continues to be mismanaged and tax dollars are not allocated properly, with even perhaps N Fulton (Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs) breaking off into its own county a strong possibility.
You win the Internet, Atlanta sucks. How are things in the MASSACHUSETTS forum?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM

I live in MA currently for work but attended Georgia Tech and lived in Atlanta for almost 6 years. I am not a livelong resident, but I know quite a bit about the city, its politics, and the attitudes of residents. Why my current location negates my informed opinions about metro Atlanta is unclear.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM

I post a thread about developments and half the people making negative comments do not even live in the metro Atlanta. The moral of the story is we average over 30 million tourist annually and that number will continue to increase especially once these projects are complete. People can hate all they want to the metro area will continue to improve with new developments, jobs, etc

Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM

492 posts, read 601,302 times
Quote:
I live in MA currently for work but attended Georgia Tech and lived in Atlanta for almost 6 years. I am not a livelong resident, but I know quite a bit about the city, its politics, and the attitudes of residents. Why my current location negates my informed opinions about metro Atlanta is unclear.
You moved away and yet you still come in the Atlanta forum to bash it. You figure out why folks are suspicious of your motives.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,508,183 times
Quote:
No, that is not a trend. None of those places were inside Atlanta city limits. Cities don't shrink in area.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM

I don't 'bash' Atlanta. I state facts. It is called the 'LA of the East'. Traffic is horrendous is most of the metro area, leading to a decreased quality of life. City planners study Atlanta for ways to avoid the sprawl.

Adding shopping malls is not elevating the city to a 'new level'. There are many improvements the metro area can make, with the proper will of the people. But most of the new projects listed are not going to improve Atlanta on the national or world stage. Having an outlet mall in Woodstock isn't suddenly going to increase tourism or make people flock to the city.

The items I listed in my prior post, however, will attract more residents, more capital, and more prosperity. Just because I am not 'ga-ga' over some new mixed-use development in the metro area is not 'bashing' it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or