U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,960,947 times

Advertisements

I remember going to their very first game. It was pretty packed. 30,000 - 40,000 people or so? I think they won it too. Now I don't hear about anyone going to their games lol. I can't imagine how dead the stadium is if there are really only 3,000-4,000 people going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,346,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I remember going to their very first game. It was pretty packed. 30,000 - 40,000 people or so? I think they won it too. Now I don't hear about anyone going to their games lol. I can't imagine how dead the stadium is if there are really only 3,000-4,000 people going.
A good chunk of those people are actually the marching band, frats and soros and color guard..or people that get free tickets like the Signal staff and certain RAs/SGA members

I hear everyone leaves after halftime anyway. I love how Frenchy never touts the football team in his videos..

I wish we would just get rid of that joke and focus on basketball.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,373,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Well that's exactly my point. Everybody DOES want to become the next USF. That's precisely what GSU, KSU and GA Southern aim for. Georgia State had a great coach starting the program. I'm not sure what happened. Every year they've gotten worse.
Really, Bill Curry wasn't that great of a coach. He was so-so at Tech, run out of town in Tuscaloosa, and couldn't do much for a bad Kentucky program. Hopefully the new coaching staff is what the doctor ordered for them.

Quote:
In the case of KSU and GA Southern...you've got to start somewhere don't you?
Ga Southern has a good fan base and tradition in football but a small market. They'd have to win over the state like Auburn has but the State of Georgia is not an empty slate.

Quote:
And actually, the case KSU makes for football is more about branding and name recognition rather than immediate money.
Yes, making money at the FCS level is tough. I think Ga Southern typically breaks even.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I wonder if SPSU will get a team, so there can be a rivalry up I-75. KSU's stadium is attractive, from what I saw during Atlanta Beat games.
I doubt it. If so, SPSU would be NAIA.

It'll be interesting to see how many fans KSU draws. I don't think their basketball programs draw well and their program is really bad after they left DII with a national championship. GSU has a problem attracting students back to campus on Saturdays. They really should play more Thursday night games.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I wish we would just get rid of that joke and focus on basketball.
I don't think they can do much more in basketball. They tried to focus on basketball in the Lefty Driesell era with great success but it didn't amount to much in fan support. And this season doesn't look so good so far.

If football fails, GSU should consider the Spelman approach and just drop sports.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't think they can do much more in basketball. They tried to focus on basketball in the Lefty Driesell era with great success but it didn't amount to much in fan support. And this season doesn't look so good so far.

If football fails, GSU should consider the Spelman approach and just drop sports.
Please stop comparing GSU to HBCUs. We are not an HBCU, nor are we a women only HBCU. We are a public research university with a very high black population.

I actually enjoy going to basketball games though. It's hard getting to the Dome. It isn't too hard getting to the Sports Arena.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Please stop comparing GSU to HBCUs. We are not an HBCU, nor are we a women only HBCU. We are a public research university with a very high black population.

I actually enjoy going to basketball games though. It's hard getting to the Dome. It isn't too hard getting to the Sports Arena.
But just think....$0 Athletic Fees.

Universities typically do have sports but who says they have to?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But just think....$0 Athletic Fees.

Universities typically do have sports but who says they have to?
I think all schools who are not doing so hot financially or academically should cut misc sports like soccer, track, hockey etc. Unless it's a major sport for the school, there isn't a point in giving a brickhead a full ride and charging the rest of the students along with it.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM

7,439 posts, read 10,089,722 times
I am wondering if KSU will stay in the Atlantic Sun for all other sports and compete in the football only Pioneer Conference. This is what Mercer and Stetson, fellow Atlantic Sun members that are also starting football are doing.

The Southern Conference would be a good fit as well. Nearby Jacksonville State is in the Ohio Valley Conference, the Big South is also an option. All these conferences are FCS (I AA).

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,695,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Well that's exactly my point. Everybody DOES want to become the next USF. That's precisely what GSU, KSU and GA Southern aim for. Georgia State had a great coach starting the program. I'm not sure what happened. Every year they've gotten worse.

But, I'd argue that it's because of GSU's demographics that the football involvement has fizzled. It's still a commuter campus for one, few students live on campus. Financial aid is a thing of concern to the majority of Georgia State's students(around 45% receive Pell as opposed to 15 or 16 at UGA or GT)..many more are part time. The tailgating scene just isn't there. I simply think it was a poor call.

In the case of KSU and GA Southern...you've got to start somewhere don't you?

And actually, the case KSU makes for football is more about branding and name recognition rather than immediate money.
Yes... everyone wants to achieve that, but few do. GSU is a perfect example of how excitement can fizzle into apathy very, very quickly.

GSU is a commuter school as is KSU. There are a lot of similarities between the two in this regard. Both are trying to shake that image, but they both have a long way to go.

I think KSU has the better chance of fielding a successful FCS or lower-level FBS team, but what is the ceiling for their program? At best they could become a North Texas or FIU IMO and that won't excite a state that is a majority UGA fans and used to 10 win seasons in 'big boy' football. The idea of playing Troy and Florida Atlantic is not going to generate a huge influx of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta