U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,339,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Yes... everyone wants to achieve that, but few do. GSU is a perfect example of how excitement can fizzle into apathy very, very quickly.

GSU is a commuter school as is KSU. There are a lot of similarities between the two in this regard. Both are trying to shake that image, but they both have a long way to go.

I think KSU has the better chance of fielding a successful FCS or lower-level FBS team, but what is the ceiling for their program? At best they could become a North Texas or FIU IMO and that won't excite a state that is a majority UGA fans and used to 10 win seasons in 'big boy' football. The idea of playing Troy and Florida Atlantic is not going to generate a huge influx of cash.
Yeah i dunno...they have Vince Dooley. That alone could bring in a butt load of gift dollars and support. Dooley is a God to football fans and a mighty one here in GA. They could still root for UGA/GT, but also KSU. It's not like they play in the same conference or level...

I'm pretty sure they want to make money of merchandise too. It also depends on their enrollment. We'll see how high their enrollment gets this year. More people more support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,339,388 times
The story hinted at a major donation coming their way. But I doubt Dooley being there will divert those loyal to UGA. GSU might have gotten a spike in enrollment and donations as a result of football so maybe the same will happen for KSU.

GSU being FBS will give them more attention as it is seen as the legit college football. Unless of course, GSU is as bad or worse at FBS football.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM

7,233 posts, read 10,006,579 times
Having football on campus brings a lot of life into the overall college experience that other sports just can't muster. It is a communal event for the university family... parents, alumni, larger community. I see no need for KSU to try to go Division IA (still like that terminology better than FCS and FBS). Division I AA is plenty for KSU to go for until they prove they are a viable program.

IMO, Georgia State moving to division I is WAY premature. They should put in a couple of dedades at I AA. Georgia Southern should be the one moving up instead, they have established a solid program for the last few decades.

I have wondered since the 70s why Georgia schools have lagged in football programs. Back then you had Georgia Tech and Georgia and the HBCUs playing college ball. That was it. Georgia Southern, West Georgia, and Valdosta State started programs about this time frame. Neighboring Alabama had UAB, Troy, North Alabama, as well as their HBCUs playing ball then, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi all had several smaller programs beside their flagship schools playing ball.... why was Georgia lagging when it is so much larger than these schools with a much bigger high school football program? If a kid had a decent talent that was somewhat less than a Dvision I A program, they had to go out of state.

Every football player from my small hometown of Hogansville that was offered a scholarship had to go out of state because they weren't quite UGA or Tech quality. University of Louisville, Wofford in SC, Troy State were schools that guys in my class went.

I think this is a great idea, but doesn't need to be a FCS program to fit a need.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

@Saintmark: Money and enrollment. We didn't have the "everybody must go to college or die" mentality back then. Less students. Less need for money(football is supposed to be a money maker. It wasn't until recently that BIG 10, SEC and ACC schools increased their giving to academic affairs)

One of the reasons GSU got the bump up is probably bc Southern's stadium doesn't have a high enough occupancy. They're expanding it as we speak..but GSU had easy access to the dome.

@mathman: GSU's enrollment is attributed to the BOR's proposal to 100k student enrollment capacity..not football. I dunno if gift giving had gone up. I doubt it seeing the way we play. Basketball, however, I can see people donating money. I don't think Dooley WANTS to divert any donations from UGA..but at least his name alone can get the program's foot in the door.

Dooley should have fixed up Southern's program instead though.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM

472 posts, read 660,521 times
We may not all like it, and it may not be for the direct benefit of higher ed, but college 'life' and college experience is here to stay. Dorms, sports, recreational centers, fancy chapel bells, wells and towers count in recruiting even the best students. It's much like moving to a country. Would you like to live in a wartorn developing world? Or would you like to live in a developed country?

I agree with Saintmarks. Football is a nice way for a group of young people to come together for a native cause.

Cheap beer and all. It gives them something to hold onto after graduation. Sports is always fun among alumni. I also think that Owl football will result in more gift giving by KSU alumni and boosters.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
We may not all like it, and it may not be for the direct benefit of higher ed, but college 'life' and college experience is here to stay. Dorms, sports, recreational centers, fancy chapel bells, wells and towers count in recruiting even the best students. It's much like moving to a country. Would you like to live in a wartorn developing world? Or would you like to live in a developed country?

I agree with Saintmarks. Football is a nice way for a group of young people to come together for a native cause.

Cheap beer and all. It gives them something to hold onto after graduation. Sports is always fun among alumni. I also think that Owl football will result in more gift giving by KSU alumni and boosters.
KSU isn't a research university like Georgia State. They can divert money to invest in their campus and other areas. I don't think KSU football will end up like GSU football.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM

1,061 posts, read 916,909 times
Quote:
Football is a big money maker for universities. GA Southern and KSU's students voted for a football team. It wasn't imposed on them by force. Many GSU students are disgruntled that they have to pay the "athletic fee" when few ever show up to games.

If 75% of the school population is willing to pay $100 more for football, then I'm sure they're willing to go to games. Maybe a TV deal or a bigger conference offering would be insight.

I'm sure Vince Dooley's dealing with KSU's program will grip the media by the nickers.
GSU's students voted for football too. Anyone that's complaining about it now decided to attend GSU after the fee was in place.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I also think that Owl football will result in more gift giving by KSU alumni and boosters.
It certainly did for GSU football. That's why schools are bringing/bringing back football. I forget when Mercer is getting its team back, but it's all about spurring alumni giving.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM

That's funny because my Facebook news feed is blowing up with "WHERE THE HELL IS MY REFUND CHECK" posts. -____-

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
A good chunk of those people are actually the marching band, frats and soros and color guard..or people that get free tickets like the Signal staff and certain RAs/SGA members

I hear everyone leaves after halftime anyway. I love how Frenchy never touts the football team in his videos..

I wish we would just get rid of that joke and focus on basketball.
It's a new football program with an entirely new staff coming in that's already recruiting and gaining commitments like crazy. Moving to the Sun Belt means we get more scholarships, better talent, and better competition.

Winning cures everything, the new staff is building a winning team, and Georgia State will be fine. The second largest university in the state will not just "focus on basketball," we'll find a way to make it work, just like when people said we should just give up on our law school and focus on business, 25+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta