Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
More than likely they can't afford them. Plus it's nasty, this guy breeds like rabbit.
You know Shawty Lo? You know for sure he can not afford his children with the help of the mothers? You know this as fact?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I'm not bugging out and I'm surely not trying to change anyone's perception of Blacks. But just want to point out a few things that's all.

Just for the record Blacks aren't trying to hide anything we would just like for there to be a balance in media coverage far as blacks are concerned.
Thats going to be hard to find on mainstream tv.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
Rappers do any and everything now.

So now everyone is trying to be a hip hop "thug".

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
So bascially people cant do things they enjoy, listening to music how they want.. I guess blacks better start blasting Garth Brooks. So they whites wont think there thugs lol
I'm not sure whose comments those are but just a brief response.

Obviously folks can do whatever they like. Equally obviously they should recognize that their behaviour sends signals to everyone else about how they'd like to be perceived. If you dress like Larry the Cable Guy and drive around in a pickup playing Hank Jr. you're telling the world that you identify with a certain subculture. If you wear a suit and tie and drive a Benz you're signifying you identify with another subculture. Likewise if you dress like a rapper and cruise around on rims blasting Gucci Mane.

But those are self-imposed choices.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM

449 posts, read 1,176,047 times
I think Oxygen might want to change the name of the show, but other than that, I don't think this is any worse than "Mob Wives", "Real Housewives of Hollywood", or "Jersey Shore".

Let the man make some more $ for all of those kids.

The show sends off a negative stereotype, but the perception in this country of ghetto blacks is already so far gone that people don't need to watch TV to form prejudice opinions.

Someone can go to six flags and look at a "ghetto baby mother" with a bunch of kids and probably see what's on this show.

I'm black, but just saying that people are going to form opinions regardless.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
I think Oxygen might want to change the name of the show, but other than that, I don't think this is any worse than "Mob Wives", "Real Housewives of Hollywood", or "Jersey Shore".

The show sends off a negative stereotype, but the perception in this country of ghetto blacks is already so far gone that people don't need to watch TV to form prejudice opinions.

Someone can go to six flags and look at a "ghetto baby mother" with a bunch of kids and probably see what's on this show.

close thread. Nothing more to say about it.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's highly unlikely that many people are going to equate middle and upper class blacks with the stereotypes being trotted out by Shawty Lo and his 10 baby mamas. Likewise, not many are going to equate the Honey Boo-Boo clan with middle and upper class whites.

Folks can be pretty dumb when it comes to stereotypes but most of them are not that stupid.
I wasn't specifically talking about that show. Again even shows like real house wives of Atlanta is label as ghetto when there upper class.

Also those though I'm responding to you I'm not coming at you because you don't make these comments. And I tell your beyond basic stereotyping.
Quote:
Well, maybe that's because three young black kids riding down the street listening to rap music on rims are purposely evoking a stereotype that appeals to them.

Likewise, if you see three young white kids riding down the street in a pickup listening to Hank Jr, would't that suggest some stereotypical ideas about them in your mind?

Nobody is making either group of kids do those things -- they choose them because they find them "cool" and culturally popular.
You making my point even more, three young black kids riding down the street listening to rap music on rims Is not equal to three young white kids riding down the street in a pickup listening to Hank Jr is more on the lines three young white kids riding down the street in a trick out import listening to, Dance music, rental or punk you know stuff they will actually play on MTV or VHI.

What is call redneck culture goes back generations, hiphop, riding in trick cars, and the slang terms these kids speaks don't back 35 years if 10. But your clearly missing the point if blacks kids go to lenox and buy all this expensive clothing and shoes? there lower class? But yet we have threads and posters saying "lenox" is ghetto and full thugs.

Quote:
I wouldn't think of them as "ghetto." From what little I've seen of these various Housewives shows they all play on some rather obnoxious and hackneyed stereotypes of women but I haven't seen anything suggesting ghetto.
But you seem these threads.

what I'm saying for minorities stereotypes are way more simplistic the box is way smaller. Where a young white kid could be the redneck, rebellious teenager, the hipster, the nerd, the crazies of MTV Jackass and etc. When your black everything is ghetto and everything is negative. Example names WTF is ghetto names? And Ghetto to whites is black rednecks so now pretty much because the vast major of the black youth are into Hiphop culture all black kids are now black rednecks. Error.

I said before I don't believe racism is rampant but I do believe this is the last major hurdle, Whites and blacks still need to build intercultural competence and empathy in some areas. We don't live in the world that Emmett Till did but we in Trayvon Martin's.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 55,206 times
Default Amen....

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
An um just here to let da church say...Amen...in my Meek Millz voice of course

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:

I don't care for dude show or what ever "though I think it stupid yet most of TV is anyways". More of the fact when Someone go to six flags they think they're looking at a bunch "ghetto baby mother"s. just cause they saw a black mother.

The truth is it's black and white if your black either your cast as ghetto or cast as some exceptional black person. Because all you got to do is go to six flags as a black single mother to be ghetto. So with that logic no wounder some posters think ATL is ghetto.

LOL speaking of the Osbournes and double standards that reminds of this.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Pepsi faces hip-hop boycott

-----------------------------

I'm shocked this wasn't mention in this thread, never the less in this forum at all yet. Oxygen is going all in. Anyways this has nothing to do with race, nothing to do with class. More to do with America and ratings,

Meet the Peaches of Bad Girls Club: Atlanta | Bad Girls Club

Bad Girls Club Atlanta Trailer - YouTube

Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I wasn't specifically talking about that show. Again even shows like real house wives of Atlanta is label as ghetto when there upper class.

Also those though I'm responding to you I'm not coming at you because you don't make these comments. And I tell your beyond basic stereotyping.

You making my point even more, three young black kids riding down the street listening to rap music on rims Is not equal to three young white kids riding down the street in a pickup listening to Hank Jr is more on the lines three young white kids riding down the street in a trick out import listening to, Dance music, rental or punk you know stuff they will actually play on MTV or VHI.

What is call redneck culture goes back generations, hiphop, riding in trick cars, and the slang terms these kids speaks don't back 35 years if 10. But your clearly missing the point if blacks kids go to lenox and buy all this expensive clothing and shoes? there lower class? But yet we have threads and posters saying "lenox" is ghetto and full thugs.

But you seem these threads.

what I'm saying for minorities stereotypes are way more simplistic the box is way smaller. Where a young white kid could be the redneck, rebellious teenager, the hipster, the nerd, the crazies of MTV Jackass and etc. When your black everything is ghetto and everything is negative. Example names WTF is ghetto names? And Ghetto to whites is black rednecks so now pretty much because the vast major of the black youth are into Hiphop culture all black kids are now black rednecks. Error.

I said before I don't believe racism is rampant but I do believe this is the last major hurdle, Whites and blacks still need to build intercultural competence and empathy in some areas. We don't live in the world that Emmett Till did but we in Trayvon Martin's.
The trut none of the whites in this thread want to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta