Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 AM

8 posts, read 27,190 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m a 28 single African American female
I’m a mother of three lovely children and I’m currently a pre nursing student in Wisconsin I reside in a very small town, I travel an hour to and from school. I moved here with my children’s father and my fiancé at the time because we need affordable living well now it’s me and the kids alone. I have section 8, I work as a CNA, I get a nice amount of child support, and I also just got done with the phlebotomy program. However the reason of me wanting to move is it’s very boring here, I do nothing but work and go to school. I don’t have a social life what so ever, my children are happy here but they want to do more which I can’t provide! I could go back to Minnesota with family but I prefer to start over some where fresh. I also want to move because after this term I will be almost done with all of my generals and the waiting list here for my core is 2 and half years. I’m a Nursing student, freelance makeup artist, CNA, and Phlebotomist….. I’m trying to decide between outside of LA or outside of Atlanta????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Unemployment is still high in metro Atlanta, so please do not move unless you have a job lined up. That is #1.

Cobb County is fine and there are many of great, affordable areas. Again, however, it is all dependent on where you will find work.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM

Yeah, that's the part i'm stuck at because I don't want to move any where to fail. Also I have some savings so I paln on being good for at least 6 months but that still sucks if I cant find a job. Thanks a lot....

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,135 times
You will like Cobb and metro ATL, traffic is bad here so if you can find a job near your home that would be great otherwise you are looking at a similar commute that you currently have. I live in northern Cobb and commute to the other side of the metro with no traffic its close to an hour, with traffic its 90-120mins so it can be very frustrating at times. I don't think the ATL metro differs from similar sized metros when it comes to jobs, its bad everywhere! And its good you have savings for that fact. SOCAL, I would say is ATL double sized with less black people and more hispanics and Asians, and of course more traffic. ANd SOCAL does have a higher cost of living. If you looking for warmth SOCAL does has ATL beat as most of SOCAL is in the 60s-70s in the winter, ATL is in the 40s-60s(some 70s in the winter but not much) in the winter with plenty of chilly nights in the 20s-30. I used to have a boss who was based out of WS but was moving his operations to here and said 'wow, its almost as cold as Wisconsin here'. It doesn't snow here much though and when it does it shuts the city down. As for boring, I think both SOCAL and ATL offers the same excitement with LA probably offering a bit better just because its bigger and its Hollywood!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Thank you so much for all the positivity but also great advice

Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM

The rental assistance I get allows me 1050 for a 3 bedroom in Cobb County. I'm currently a student which allows me to get grants plus I've saved up enough to get us by for at least six months. I currently make 15,000 a year and that don't count against the $1,000.00 a month I receive in child support so were okay for the most part. I know it's a sacrifice but once I complete school it will be much better. However I currently have to pay for childcare and I found out today the college in Huntington Beach , CA has childcare on campus and will pay half of my son's tuition which will allow him to go to daycare full time for only 75 dollars a week, where here I'm paying 108 for only 3 half days. I also found a childcare at Atlanta Tech, but they don’t offer childcare assistance at all. I take out loans for school and they don't count against my rent because I have children. I'm one to plan because failure isn't an option so that's why I’m on here seeking advice but I moved to Wisconsin with nothing, no help or anybody to help. Also if I don’t get a job right away my rent and utilities will be taking care of automatically, so no worries at all about that which is good… I give it to god, because 3years ago I was spending half my income on rent and bills….. The only thing is scary is they don't help with childcare and that's the boat I’m in now, I currently take my Pell grant and another grant to pay for childcare but in Cali the daycare’s offers financial assistance to those in school full time, which is good! I currently live in Knapp and I love my school just can’t stay here no longerL the kids are ready for more and so am I. The only part that scares me is I’m in the 2year nursing program and the only school I found accredited is Atlanta Tech but many say it’s far but I found a college called Chattooga but it’s not accredited so that’s a problem because I’m on a two year track so it wouldn’t make since to switch up now.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
FYI -- Unemployment in the 10-county ARC region fell to 8.1 percent in November, down from 8.9 percent a year ago. The statewide rate was 8.5 percent in November, down from 9.5 percent a year ago.

In some parts of the metro, the situation is even better: Fayette County's jobless rate is down to 6.8, while Coweta's is 7.2.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
With your skill set, would think you would find good work. If you can get the nursing degree finished, you would be employable almost anywhere despite the economy.

FWIW, living expenses will be MUCH lower in Atlanta than LA.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,254 times
hi did you move to Cobb county do you like it Thinking about moving to Cobb county

Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof004 View Post
hi did you move to Cobb county do you like it Thinking about moving to Cobb county
The OP has not been back to City-Data since 5/2013...

You might want to read "Moving to Atlanta" and start your own Thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: