U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

615 posts, read 426,952 times
Default Legislation would allow school boards to designate armed administrators

Legislation would allow school boards to designate armed administrators | Political Insider

The bill was filed by rep. Paul Battles (R) of Cartersville. School systems would be able to designate certain faculty at schools to carry weapons. He stresses that it wouldn't be required, it would be a decision left up to schools and school districts. School systems would be responsible for all expenses associated with training.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I commend rep Battles for trying to find a solution to gun violence in schools but I don't think this is the way to go. Having a loaded gun in a school every day could deter violence, but it also poses too many risks. I hope we can have an intelligent and thoughtful discussion over this very important issue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

615 posts, read 426,952 times
and of course, the ajc comments section is lighting up. Here's a comment that gives a good argument to oppose this type of legislation:

"This may be the beginning of the end of my career if this winds up taking hold. As an educator of over 25 years and a current school principal, I went into education to improve students’ lives through teaching and learning. If I wanted to carry a gun and be responsible for shooting a possible intruder, I would have gone into law enforcement. I am willing to do anything humanly needed to protect my staff and students, but I am not in education to be a gunslinger responsible for taking out a possible armed intruder. This goes over the line in reasonable expectations of school administrators. If there is that much fear about the safety of students, then tax payers need to pay up to allow for the employment of more trained school police officers at our buildings."

Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 PM

640 posts, read 517,935 times
Horrible.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM

2,275 posts, read 909,372 times
Finally. It's about time something like this got proposed. Limiting it to a handful of personnel is a good compromise versus allowing teachers to conceal carry. I can live with this.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 854,683 times
I wonder how much the NRA is paying him.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,357,126 times
Beautiful. I love Georgia

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,293,595 times
Over Forty billion dollars of unspent untax wealth sitting in the many various coffers of our fair state. But the bubbas at the capitol refuse to tax this bounty to fund this insanely dangerous idea of the NRA's.

No sir...we certainly don't want to upset our feudal lords, do we? Why burden our "job creators" with this trivial inconvenience like shared responsibility to society?

So let's go ahead and saddle our overworked and unpaid teachers with yet another duty.

My gosh...our state never seems to lack for a new definition of the word "stupid".

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,184,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

So let's go ahead and saddle our overworked and unpaid teachers with yet another duty.
I'd bet there would be plenty of teachers/administrators who would volunteer to accept the designation. I doubt they'd be "saddling" anyone with a duty, as if those armed teachers would be required to go running to an incident- instead, just the fact that some teachers/administrators might be armed would be a deterrent to whack jobs who think about going in to shoot up a school. Right now, they're guaranteed to not be met with resistance, so it's like shooting fish in a barrel

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM

230 posts, read 142,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Over Forty billion dollars of unspent untax wealth sitting in the many various coffers of our fair state. But the bubbas at the capitol refuse to tax this bounty to fund this insanely dangerous idea of the NRA's.

No sir...we certainly don't want to upset our feudal lords, eh? Why burden our "job creators" with this trivial inconvenience like shared responsibility to society?

My gosh...our state never seems to lack for a new definition of the word "stupid".
You must also hate Utah, where teachers can carry guns and it is one of the most wealthiest, affluent and safe places in America..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM

4,275 posts, read 3,673,681 times
It's ludicrous.

And I'm not saying that ideologically.

I'm saying it as a matter of reality.

It simply causes way too much potential for danger. I know in my high school, most of the teachers could have easily been overpowered by any of the male juniors or seniors in the school. I don't really like the idea of any junior or senior having immediate access to a gun just by overpowering a teacher.

It's also way too risky because you just know that not all teachers would keep guns on them at all times. A male teacher might put it in a desk drawer, a female teacher may leave it in a purse. The point is, during a lot of the time, the guns would be in places where students only have to be crafty to get them, they don't even have to overpower anybody.

You also have to consider how good of a shot your standard teacher is. Even if they go to the range every day, there is still a huge difference between target shooting and hitting a moving target during a hostile situation. If you arm teachers and there is an attack, now you've got bullets whizzing by in two directions. Are you going to tell me that the chance of students getting hit by friendly fire is minimal?

Let's just arm all the teachers with pepper spray and call it a day. Or have a button you can press where the entire school get sealed up and tear gas fills the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta