Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,439 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am moving to the area within the next couple of months for a promotion. I am trying to figure a budget and am thinking after paying back student loans and all that jazz I would be left with about $1300 for rent, utilities, food, gas.

In order to have a better idea of what I'm getting myself into I could really use y'all's help!

1. Safest neighborhoods to live in as I am a single 20's girl w/ a chicken of a cat. haha
2. How much do utilities cost for a general 1/1 or 2/1or2 apt.
- Gas:
- Electric:
- Internet/Phone/Cable Bundle:
- Water:
- Trash?:
3. If you have any suggestions for apartments? I am hoping to stay under $600/month.
4. I am Methodist so if you know if a great contemporary service/ young adults group please let me know!
5. How is traffic typically?

If you can think of anything else I would love to know!

Thanks So Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,298,590 times
Based on a quick internet search, it looks like your rent will be closer to $800 in the vicinity.

What is your closest intersection - eg. Jones Br or Medloc Br for N-S. And State Br, Abbotts Br, McGinnis for E-W. Knowing that, one can guide you towards Johns Creek itself (probably the more expensive of the lot), or Duluth/Suwanee (to the east) or Alpharetta (to the west).

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
And it really depends on what side of the river your job is on. Will you be working in Johns Creek or Duluth?

If you're by State Bridge Road, it doesn't matter so much because even though it gets busy, traffic at least flows over the 4 lane bridge. If you are near Abbotts Bridge, or McGinnis Ferry, forget about crossing the river during rush hour. It's brutal. McGinnis Ferry may get better when the construction on the bridge is done....whenever that is.

For your budget, I would concentrate on the Gwinnett side since things tend to be a bit less expensive over there. But if your job is in Johns Creek, I'd probably stay near there. For a young person, I'd really recommend beign near GA 400 as most of the "action" tends to be at least a little more focused there and it's a straighter shot into town than 85, and I'm sure you'll want to go out from time to time in the city.

Your budget is really low. My personal advice would be to defer your student loans for a year and drop $800 on a decent place. Then in a year if you aren't promoted again and can't afford that payment with picking up your loan again, that should be enough time to at least find a roommate in the area and you can easily get a fine 2 bedroom for under $1200.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM

I'll be working at State Farm... so Johns Creek Parkway. I think it'd McGinnis Ferry and Abbot's Bridge. What is the general commute time?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM

Further, I really need help with the utilities. I can get a rough idea from Comcast, but other than that it's a guessing game.

I'll check into deferring my student loans, but I've already been paying on them for the past few months and don't want any extra interest to accrue. My parents can, likely, help me out a bit, but I generally would prefer to stay with MAX 650ish in rent.

Thanks So Much!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,011,911 times
$650 a month? Get a roommate or rent a room in a house if you don't want to end up in a sketch apartment complex.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,865 times
I work at State Farm in Johns Creek as well so welcome. I also have high student loans(Roll tide) so I'm staying with my parents, so I could not give much info on apartment pricing, but I would say the best areas for someone like you would be either in peachtree corners/norcross, or like someone else said in Alpharetta by 400, there is a lot of things in that area and both of these locations would give you a pretty easy commute.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
There are many brand new apartment buildings very close to State Farm, but as mentioned, you may need a roommate to make it on $600ish.

Here's an example >

www.johnscreekwalk.com

http://oaksatjohnscreekapartments.com

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-09-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,298,590 times
I think you should say intersection of Medlock Bridge (N-S) and McGinnis (E-W).

There is an apt at Abbotts Br and Medlock Br (I cant get the name right now), NOT Johns Creek Walk or the one adjacent to it, which might be the lowest costs option with shortest commute. You could even bike to work from there.

Staying near 400 will be too far, but against the direction of peak traffic. Staying in Suwanee/Duluth will make you travel in the same direction as peak traffic. (Peak traffic is towards GA 400 in the morning, away from it in the evening). Staying at Abbotts Br and Medlock Br (2 apartments), or State Br and Medlock Br (2 or 3 apts) will be the best. The $100 you might pay more will be offset in gas and wear/tear of car.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,642 times
Check out what you can find on McGinnis Ferry...and I generally make that commute several times a week, and it isn't too bad to Johns Creek if you are on the road at the right time. And side roads will also help. I can get you plugged into a church that might suit you well...if there is somehow a way to contact you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta