Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 31,797 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are planning to relocate to ATL this summer. I have a plethora of questions interms of good school districts. I have a child that will be entering HS and a child that will be entering Kindergarten. Which counties have great school districts?

How is the job market? I have a masters degree in education but I dont think I necessarily want to teach what are my opinions?

I hear that Georgia is blantantly racist...in your face, but I guess I've heard that about the majority of the Southern States. Is this true?

If your wondering why Im leaving NYC, well its b/c I want a better quality of life and its just oober expensive to live here and every activity is $$$$.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Please read this thread and answer the questions regarding budget etc.

Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

Are you moving to Atlanta without a job - note that we have one of the highest unemployement rates. That is a huge risk that is not recommended - why have you chosen Atlanta

As far as rascism in Altanta and the South - NO NO and NO. That is not that we dont' have our issues but you need to lose that thought before moving here or you will just set yourself up for failure.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
There may be certain parts of Georgia where racism is more in your face. Just like there are certain parts of New York state where that is true.

In Atlanta it is simply untrue. There is no more racism here than there is in New York or Washington DC. There is probably considerably less because we tend to have an open and healthy dialogue on race instead of sweeping it under the carpet and pretending it doesn't exist.

Keep in mind that Atlanta has a huge black population. White people here are used to seeing and dealing with black people every day, so we don't think anything of it.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
depends on what you mean by 'in your face' racist. if you mean, people get in your face and they're like "we don't like yerr kind around these here parts" or whatever— no. honestly, there are only a couple of areas in georgia that i've seen where they might look at you funny, and they're all these super out-of-the-way backwater places. plus, georgia is a huge state, it's 400 miles from top to bottom. you won't see anything like that within 30 miles of atlanta easy. atlanta also has a huge korean population in gwinnett county (top 5 in the nation, actually, you can drive for miles and see nothing but signs in korean), muslims in sandy springs through alpharetta, indians all over the place, somalians in clarkston, and we jews are speckled all over the city.

however, you'll have to specify how much you're willing to spend, whether you want to rent or buy, whether you want a house or an apartment/condo, whether you want access to the subway system, and if you'd feel more comfortable in an urban setting or a suburban setting. just a quick warning, "suburban" here doesn't mean what it means in the northeast. if you say you want to live in the suburbs, you're talking about this kind of house, at least 15 miles away from the urban core:

whereas someone from the northeast might think *this* looks suburban:

which is a neighbourhood called cabbagetown, we'd call that 'intown'.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks for your reply! I will more than likely have to rent until I become employed. I hope landing employment will not be to difficult. As I have contacted serveral staffing agencies that have advised that I only apply to positions when I have a GA residence incase Im called in for an interview.

As for living requirements, I definately want to live in the suburbs the 1st picture you posted. I am so ovver city living I just want peace and quiet, you know a better quality of life for my children...something that is very difficult to get living here in the concrete jungle of NYC...

Do you have any suggestions on the job front? Any specific companies that I should like at?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Hi Lorilove,

Ive choosen ATL for a couple of reason one being a better quality of life. I am totally aware that relocating without a job is risky but its something that Im willing to do b/c NYC just isnt cutting it anymore....honestly it never cut it in my opinion. Thoughout my travels I just know there are better places to live and raise children and Ive heard ATL is one of them.

I am hopeful that my education will aid in getting me decent employment.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
The job market is still mixed at best here. It would be hard to tell you companies to look at without knowing what you are wanting to do/qualified to do.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Westau, I have a masters degree in education but I really do not want teach....but I would like to work in the school system in some other capacity. I also have ten years ++ as a admin asst. I constantly look on indeed and there seems to alot of job openings but I guess I will be able to better tell once I arrive.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I new GM building is currently hiring

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATENYC View Post
I hear that Georgia is blantantly racist...in your face, but I guess I've heard that about the majority of the Southern States. Is this true?
I don't think that's true, though it will vary by location. This region has a long history, and that history has left a lasting mark so at times the discussions here on City-Data can get a bit heated, but there are so many transplants in the Atlanta metro that you probably won't see much of it unless you look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta