Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times

Advertisements

GSU's speakers are a marketing ploy. We had John Legend and a bunch of other speakers. How else will GSU trick students into studying here? We do have a good marketing program you know.

Every school's SAT/GPA hasn't really been going up and even if they have they have always been BELOW AVERAGE! GSU has been passed by other schools. You keep avoiding this. You keep comparing GSU to itself. Obviously they've improved if you compare GSU with GSU in the 90s. All schools have. Go watch Azziz's video mathman. Schools compete with each other too. It's friendly competition, but it's still competition. GSU is losing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Regarding GRU,

Ricardo Azziz - YouTube

I highly recommend anyone interested in GRU or higher ed in Georgia to watch this video. Ricardo Azziz, President of GRU, addresses many of the changes of GRU.

Our question of why merge ASU and GRU also comes into play. Mathman, give it a whirl if you've got time.
I change my mind about Azziz. I like how he doesn't accept being pushed around by people who have no idea what they're talking about. We can't let tea party rednecks in Augusta run a research university and medical school. I'm glad we have Azziz. I hope GRU can become top 50 like he says.

Thanks for the link dichloro. More people need to view that video. The view count is way too low.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Anything GSU does, Chef will say it's bad. He posted a link to a dance marathon raising money for children that UGA students were doing. Had GSU done that, he'd be complaining about how black girls are twerking their arses around. Give up with him. It's more of a deep hate for the school more then anything else. A lot of times, he just sounds completely unreasonable. He wants GSU to become UGA or Tech basically.

He overrates UGA big time just like many other Georgia students here so yeah. The only reason UGA has became such a solid school is HOPE. They still lack a high out-of-state student population. If it wasn't for HOPE, many bright, in-state students would have probably would have went to other schools out of the state.

As for Tech, I can understand the praise. It's near or at world-class level. World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Tech is at 25 in world rankings. Amazing...I'd consider that world-class. My beloved UCLA is at rank 8. Continues to go up the rankings. UGA not even top 200.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
GSU's speakers are a marketing ploy. We had John Legend and a bunch of other speakers. How else will GSU trick students into studying here? We do have a good marketing program you know.
Community volunteer work, sustainability and LEED buildings are about PR too. I'd be more impressed if GT and UGA did these things and made a point not to advertise that they do.

Inviting speakers is what universities do to expose their community to new ideas. And I think GSU is doing better than most in this regard. GSU has brought in a broad range of speakers covering many areas of life which in itself can broaden any student's university experience. I hope Becker keeps it up and GSU continues this program after Becker leaves.

Quote:
Every school's SAT/GPA hasn't really been going up and even if they have they have always been BELOW AVERAGE! GSU has been passed by other schools. You keep avoiding this. You keep comparing GSU to itself. Obviously they've improved if you compare GSU with GSU in the 90s. All schools have. Go watch Azziz's video mathman. Schools compete with each other too. It's friendly competition, but it's still competition. GSU is losing out.
In an earlier post, I insinuated that I watched Azziz's video. He mostly emphasizes that GRU will be one university and calls upon the local community to support it. He's probably learning that his "It's my way or the highway" style won't work in winning financial contributions. A former Georgia Tech president learned that the hard way. Azziz's "talking big" is easy but he can't force or shame local support for the university.

And I have pointed out that GSU is in competition with other schools. I'm mostly engaging those that suggest that GSU is a poor academic school which seems to be based solely on entering freshman SAT scores. I don't think that is so much based on GSU's academics as it is in quality of college life. GSU is a downtown urban campus and students have more choices now than they did in the 1970s when all there was was a more engineering oriented GT, and KSU, CSU, AMC were Junior Colleges, GPC was Dekalb Community College, and their was no GGC. Ga Southern was a tiny nobody and few other state supported schools were much of anything, and even UGA was more of a party school that wasn't that hard to get into. GSU's mistake was sticking with Noah Langdale for all of 31 years (10 years too long), and being stalled while a new president served a little over 1 year and interim presidents came and went. I think GSU wasted about 15 years and advanced little except for the law school which took forever to get in the first place. I still find it hard to believe that GSU got the law school despite opposition from UGA and their powerful political supporters.

But president Patton got GSU going again. If GSU had done nothing you could point to Ga Southern's sprawling green 700 acre campus with football which perhaps will be going FBS. Or KSU's campus that is smaller than Ga Southern's but more like a traditional college with dorms, dining hall, and soon football. GSU has taken some hits but I don't think its out of contention. They still enjoy the advantage of being a research university but GSU has to move carefully. That's why...if consolidation happens in Atlanta...GSU would need to be the one taking over other campuses and I think the most strategic would be SPSU because of its programs. Other merging schools would be just good because of their suburban locations.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-10-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Anything GSU does, Chef will say it's bad. He posted a link to a dance marathon raising money for children that UGA students were doing. Had GSU done that, he'd be complaining about how black girls are twerking their arses around. Give up with him. It's more of a deep hate for the school more then anything else. A lot of times, he just sounds completely unreasonable. He wants GSU to become UGA or Tech basically.

He overrates UGA big time just like many other Georgia students here so yeah. The only reason UGA has became such a solid school is HOPE. They still lack a high out-of-state student population. If it wasn't for HOPE, many bright, in-state students would have probably would have went to other schools out of the state.

As for Tech, I can understand the praise. It's near or at world-class level. World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Tech is at 25 in world rankings. Amazing...I'd consider that world-class. My beloved UCLA is at rank 8. Continues to go up the rankings. UGA not even top 200.
HOPE doesn't have too much to do with it. It's the quality of the honors program and the program offerings that bring Marshall, Rhodes and other big-time scholars to a university. Most of the top scholars that UGA has had have come to UGA in the past decade. HOPE has resulted in all schools having a slight increase in averages, but you don't attract top students with just HOPE. All you needed for HOPE is a 3.0. Now all you need a 3.2. We're not even accounting for the massive increase in tuition compared from then till now. Do you really think the sub 3.0 students were filling up UGA and Tech? No. The average GPA at UGA was still a 3.53 in the 90s, which isn't good, is higher than GSU has ever been.

You're really uninformed about UGA ant, and you keep playing this ridiculous "I'm from Cali" card. You're like that one stereotypical kid who always says he's from New York or Cali and how much better New York or California is, yet you spent most of your life here and attend school in Georgia. You didn't even know UGA's average ACT score let alone the details of the school. I had to literally post the Collegeboard link for you. With OOS, UGA is the flagship school for Georgia. Georgia is going to serve Georgians. UGA's president already said he doesn't want to privatize UGA like Bama, Michigan and UVA have done. Schools do that to make up for lost monetary support. It's not an indicator prestige. It just means UGA doesn't accept as many OOS students as in-state students because UGA is funded by in-state tax dollars. If they do, maybe they can't afford to come?

Your bias gets in the way of logic. I've already gone over this with you several times while providing many links and credible sources from topics ranging from selectivity of students to diversity and inclusion at UGA. True about the ranking though. But really if you think about it..it makes sense. UGA doesn't have its own medical school and it JUST got an engineering school. I think it's amazing where UGA stands without those two key components. Rankings are all about research. Without the key pieces to STEM, it's hard to get a name for yourself. It speaks volumes about the quality of UGA's other programs imo. That being said, they're making evident improvements even on the global scale.
World University Rankings - World University Rankingsss - 2012-13 - University of Georgia

Look at the 1 year comparison. Improvement takes time. I wonder where UGA would be if Tech hadn't been formed.

And Tech is never given enough credit. Atlanta would be a total wasteland without Tech and Georgia. Who built Atlanta's skyline? UGA and Tech grads(betcha didn't even know this). What Tech lacks in outreach, support and volunteering, it makes up for in research. I would love to go to Tech OR Georgia. Tech does amazing things and their students are incredible. I still think Tech's curriculum is harder than UCLA or Michigan's.

No.. I know GSU can never become like UGA and Georgia Tech. I just wish GSU would TRY to become better instead of falling farther and farther behind. Did you see those new signs on campus for Patton Hall(Freshman Hall) and Langdale Hall(GCB) and other smaller ones near LISO? I wonder how much that costs? We could have spent that money setting up a small print station in Kell Hall next to the student advisement center or maybe some more computers in the library. You can do small stuff like that and it'll make a big difference to students.

And that's not true at all ant about the achievements. I would praise GSU if they tried to organize something like this(even though the students alone did it at UGA). At GSU, it's the top 5-10% who work hard and do amazing things. Majority of the school either don't care or are still trying to find their way in life(smoking weed every day and every night). To be honest, I don't know why I feel so adamantly about GSU. In the real world, GSU is nothing to employers, grad school or researchers. Outside of metro Atlanta, people don't really care/know about GSU. Even in metro, there is growing support for GA Southern, KSU, GCSU and other schools.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM

When I first started looking this stuff up with dichloro's first GSU thread, I didn't know that GSU fell behind GA Southern, GCSU, SPSU and these other schools. That was sad news to me. Like you, I also felt that GSU was slowly getting better..NOT on Tech or UGA's level, but a solid third choice. Now I started to do my own research and the truth all comes out.

I just feel a research university should try to walk the walk. Especially for a school situated in Atlanta. GSU has a lot of potential, and I feel that potential is not going to be reached with GSU's downhill trajectory. Go talk to true Panther fans and they'll tell you all this(just less intense). Most of them believe that Patton was the best thing for GSU. Becker seems to be taking the school in a different direction. From what Azziz said in his video, I have a really bad feeling in a few years GRU is going to pass GSU in terms of budget and research expenditure. They won't be able to suddenly steal students from UGA and Tech, but all the former ASU students and students in that area will head to GRU. Meanwhile, KSU and GA Southern will continue to eat away at GSU's core enrollment. Grad student applications have already started decreasing. GSU's future is questionable. That's why I'm so sdgfkjdfshg about GSU. At the end of the day, I still went here.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

And I have pointed out that GSU is in competition with other schools. I'm mostly engaging those that suggest that GSU is a poor academic school which seems to be based solely on entering freshman SAT scores. I don't think that is so much based on GSU's academics as it is in quality of college life. GSU is a downtown urban campus and students have more choices now than they did in the 1970s when all there was was a more engineering oriented GT, and KSU, CSU, AMC were Junior Colleges, GPC was Dekalb Community College, and their was no GGC. Ga Southern was a tiny nobody and few other state supported schools were much of anything, and even UGA was more of a party school that wan't that hard to get into. GSU's mistake was sticking with Noah Langdale for all of 31 years (10 years too long), and being stalled while a new president served a little over 1 year and interim presidents came and went. I think GSU wasted about 15 years and advanced little except for the law school which took forever to get in the first place. I still find it hard to believe that GSU got the law school despite opposition from UGA and their powerful political supporters.

But president Patton got GSU going again. If GSU had done nothing you could point to Ga Southern's sprawling green 700 acre campus with football which perhaps will be going FBS. Or KSU's campus that is smaller than Ga Southern's but more like a traditional college with dorms, dining hall, and soon football. GSU has taken some hits but I don't think its out of contention. They still enjoy the advantage of being a research university but GSU has to move carefully. That's why...if consolidation happens in Atlanta...GSU would need to be the one taking over other campuses and I think the most strategic would be SPSU because of its programs. Other merging schools would be just good because of their suburban locations.
We basically posted the same thing. Agreed. GSU needs to get its act together. Things are going to get more competitive. Ironically, GSU just dedicated GCB as "Langdale Hall" they put up shiny expensive signs within the last month. But really, Michael Adams did the same thing Landale did for GSU. If it weren't for Adams..I think UGA would be top. That's no excuse. You can't just blame the president. Things were different in that time. GSU was nothing more than a little commuter school. Nobody chose to go to GSU. They went to GSU because of conflicting interests or to study part-time. UGA wasn't as selective back then, but UGA was still a lot more selective than state. So it's not like GSU could become like OSU and UGA like OU or anything like that.

KSU's growth is a very new thing from a students perspective. I was completely shocked to hear GSU being compared to KSU when I first read dichloro's thread a few months ago...now it all makes sense.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
We basically posted the same thing. Agreed. GSU needs to get its act together. Things are going to get more competitive. Ironically, GSU just dedicated GCB as "Langdale Hall" they put up shiny expensive signs within the last month. But really, Michael Adams did the same thing Landale did for GSU. If it weren't for Adams..I think UGA would be top. That's no excuse.
I doubt you know what Langdale did and how the two compare. You don't know much USG history.

Quote:
You can't just blame the president. Things were different in that time. GSU was nothing more than a little commuter school. Nobody chose to go to GSU. They went to GSU because of conflicting interests or to study part-time.
Little commuter school? GSU topped 20k by that time. And nothing happens without the president's ok. There was some talk of redeveloping some nearby former old downtown hotels into dorms but that never got off the ground. Langdale had an opportunity to merge with Dekalb College and he blew that deal. GSU faculty pressured Langdale for a suburban campus as KSU was basically eating GSU's lunch in terms of growth and Langdale responded with North Metro Center by leasing some space in an office park near Perimeter Mall. A temporary and mediocre response. And Langdale launched a fundraising drive for GSU's 75th anniversary which was a colossal flop as GSU raised only slightly more money than it normally did each year. In fact, until Patton came along, GSU never had a successful fundraising drive. Langdale was fine for 20 years but for his last 10, he failed to respond as other schools were making great strides.

Quote:
UGA wasn't as selective back then, but UGA was still a lot more selective than state. So it's not like GSU could become like OSU and UGA like OU or anything like that.

KSU's growth is a very new thing from a students perspective. I was completely shocked to hear GSU being compared to KSU when I first read dichloro's thread a few months ago...now it all makes sense.
Again, you don't have knowledge of history on your side. KSU has experienced inexorable growth even way "back then". And the gap wasn't that great between UGA and GSU in enrollment and the SAT much narrower. In academics, it's widened considerably since. Hard to say what would have happened if GSU did the right thing and added a real suburban campus. I knew a lot of people who admitted that GSU was better academically but chose KSU because it was not in downtown.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-10-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
HOPE doesn't have too much to do with it. It's the quality of the honors program and the program offerings that bring Marshall, Rhodes and other big-time scholars to a university. Most of the top scholars that UGA has had have come to UGA in the past decade. HOPE has resulted in all schools having a slight increase in averages, but you don't attract top students with just HOPE. All you needed for HOPE is a 3.0. Now all you need a 3.2. We're not even accounting for the massive increase in tuition compared from then till now. Do you really think the sub 3.0 students were filling up UGA and Tech? No. The average GPA at UGA was still a 3.53 in the 90s, which isn't good, is higher than GSU has ever been.

You're really uninformed about UGA ant, and you keep playing this ridiculous "I'm from Cali" card. You're like that one stereotypical kid who always says he's from New York or Cali and how much better New York or California is, yet you spent most of your life here and attend school in Georgia. You didn't even know UGA's average ACT score let alone the details of the school. I had to literally post the Collegeboard link for you. With OOS, UGA is the flagship school for Georgia. Georgia is going to serve Georgians. UGA's president already said he doesn't want to privatize UGA like Bama, Michigan and UVA have done. Schools do that to make up for lost monetary support. It's not an indicator prestige. It just means UGA doesn't accept as many OOS students as in-state students because UGA is funded by in-state tax dollars. If they do, maybe they can't afford to come?

Your bias gets in the way of logic. I've already gone over this with you several times while providing many links and credible sources from topics ranging from selectivity of students to diversity and inclusion at UGA. True about the ranking though. But really if you think about it..it makes sense. UGA doesn't have its own medical school and it JUST got an engineering school. I think it's amazing where UGA stands without those two key components. Rankings are all about research. Without the key pieces to STEM, it's hard to get a name for yourself. It speaks volumes about the quality of UGA's other programs imo. That being said, they're making evident improvements even on the global scale.
World University Rankings - World University Rankingsss - 2012-13 - University of Georgia

Look at the 1 year comparison. Improvement takes time. I wonder where UGA would be if Tech hadn't been formed.

And Tech is never given enough credit. Atlanta would be a total wasteland without Tech and Georgia. Who built Atlanta's skyline? UGA and Tech grads(betcha didn't even know this). What Tech lacks in outreach, support and volunteering, it makes up for in research. I would love to go to Tech OR Georgia. Tech does amazing things and their students are incredible. I still think Tech's curriculum is harder than UCLA or Michigan's.

No.. I know GSU can never become like UGA and Georgia Tech. I just wish GSU would TRY to become better instead of falling farther and farther behind. Did you see those new signs on campus for Patton Hall(Freshman Hall) and Langdale Hall(GCB) and other smaller ones near LISO? I wonder how much that costs? We could have spent that money setting up a small print station in Kell Hall next to the student advisement center or maybe some more computers in the library. You can do small stuff like that and it'll make a big difference to students.

And that's not true at all ant about the achievements. I would praise GSU if they tried to organize something like this(even though the students alone did it at UGA). At GSU, it's the top 5-10% who work hard and do amazing things. Majority of the school either don't care or are still trying to find their way in life(smoking weed every day and every night). To be honest, I don't know why I feel so adamantly about GSU. In the real world, GSU is nothing to employers, grad school or researchers. Outside of metro Atlanta, people don't really care/know about GSU. Even in metro, there is growing support for GA Southern, KSU, GCSU and other schools.
I moved here around 13 so technically, I still spent most of my life in California. That's why I have a deep love for UCLA. I'm using UCLA as an example because that's an example of a public school that is world-class. I also give Tech much praise. Who doesn't? Most people around the country know where Tech stands at the moment. It ain't MIT level, but it still a very solid school. That's a school I highly respect, maybe even more then UCLA.

I said UGA is a solid school, but it ain't world-class that so many Georgians here make it out to be. Can it be world class a decade or two from now? Sure, but at the moment, it still ain't up there.

As far as being harder then UCLA, you're probably right when it comes to STEM. I mean, it is a tech school after all while UCLA has a broader range of programs, but UCLA is still much more selective so you'll get similar types of students going to each school, though a lot more Asians go to UCLA.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
UGA's own study suggests:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA Study
Still, Cornwell and Mustard believe that Georgia's role as the first mover in this race has given the state's colleges and universities an advantage. They cite changes at UGA as evidence. In just 15 years, the University of Georgia made a meteoric rise through the rankings in Barron's Guide to Colleges, and is now placed among some of the most selective public universities in the country.

"Georgia, in a relatively short period of time, went from the fourth category, up to the third category and then up to the second category," Mustard said. "It's pretty unusual to jump even a single Barron's cohort because there are hundreds of schools in most of these groups."
University of Georgia study finds far-reaching enrollment effects of HOPE Scholarship

HOPE was very important to UGA's rise.

Quote:
Your bias gets in the way of logic. I've already gone over this with you several times while providing many links and credible sources from topics ranging from selectivity of students to diversity and inclusion at UGA. True about the ranking though. But really if you think about it..it makes sense. UGA doesn't have its own medical school and it JUST got an engineering school. I think it's amazing where UGA stands without those two key components. Rankings are all about research. Without the key pieces to STEM, it's hard to get a name for yourself. It speaks volumes about the quality of UGA's other programs imo.
I don't know if medicine and engineering are key other than they bring in big research bucks. But ratings are not based solely on the amount of research. If it did, US News wouldn't have much to do.

Quote:
And Tech is never given enough credit. Atlanta would be a total wasteland without Tech and Georgia. Who built Atlanta's skyline? UGA and Tech grads(betcha didn't even know this).
Do you really believe Atlanta would be a wasteland without GT and UGA? They were the ones who built Atlanta's skyline? Is Atlanta development an exclusive club or will no one other than GT and UGA want to touch it?

Quote:
What Tech lacks in outreach, support and volunteering, it makes up for in research. I would love to go to Tech OR Georgia. Tech does amazing things and their students are incredible.
Yes, we are.

So transfer.

Quote:
I still think Tech's curriculum is harder than UCLA or Michigan's.
For one, they are comprehensive universities. But I'm sure the level of difficulty is just a guess on your part. But I can say that GT's curriculum is ridiculously hard at times.

Quote:
Your school matters some, but what really matters is you. What you did and what you accomplished...not what school you graduated from. And believe it or not...that's true of Tech as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta