Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Pretty good data. I'm glad you noted the difference between liberal and democrat. There were majority black precincts in the metro area where I'm sure Obama got almost all of the vote, but black voters aren't liberal on every issue- the way more classic liberals are in a place like Decatur. Still, they are liberal on many economic issues, jut not every social issue. Do you have any data for 2012?
There is also a difference between conservatives and Republicans. The original Republicans (the northeast establishment) are not social conservatives unlike the TeaParty types in the south who are extremely conservative in every possible area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
There is also a difference between conservatives and Republicans. The original Republicans (the northeast establishment) are not social conservatives unlike the TeaParty types in the south who are extremely conservative in every possible area.
very much in agreement. Let's hope the Republicans can get back to their original roots.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I think it'll be interesting to see what happens to these demographics in the future given the influx of people and the area's population growth. I used to think that the liberal/democratic centers were well within the perimeter, but I think I see that changing recently -- especially along the perimeter and even into some parts of Cobb county. But that's just what I've noticed on bumper stickers, yard signs, etc.
Well, Gwinnett and Cobb aren't nearly as Republican as they used to be. I guess we'll just have to see what happens there in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Gwinnett goes blue in 2016.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM

368 posts, read 539,076 times
^Yep, large areas of Gwinnett went for Obama in 2008:
https://sites.stanford.edu/sssl/2008...-vote-precinct

Also note a few precincts in Carrollton, Newnan, Griffin, etc went for Obama.
On the other side of the coin, some parts of Buckhead, North Atlanta, and North Druid Hills went for McCain.

There are precincts in downtown Atlanta where Obama won 99% to 1%, and one in Vine City where Obama got 710 votes and McCain got only 1 vote.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
In my opinion, mostly "liberal" is anything inside 285 outside of Buckhead itself, meaning, SE, SW and NW Atlanta.
I would consider Buckhead a very strong mix. It's actually very interesting to drive through the 'urban' part of Buckhead (i.e., Lenox Mall area) and then the more 'residential' part (i.e., Paces Ferry and those back areas). In the former, with a younger rich crowd, the people tend to be more liberal (though some might identify as Republican fiscally - it's important to note the difference as others have pointed out). In the more established, older homes part of Buckhead/NW Atlanta, you will see very strong 'conservative'/Republican roots the further away from the 'urban side' of Buckhead. I remember driving through from Vinings to Buckhead through the 'back way' (i.e., through Mt. Paran Rd. to Wieuca Rd and into Buckhead) and noting the almost gradual transition from McCain/Palin signs to Obama/Biden signs on my journey.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
I think the conservative areas need to be re-done. Where the heck is Pike County, and who cares about SE Fayette, and Hall?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
Even if all the black people voted for Obama in all the "liberal areas", it's still not enough to elect him, since we are not the majority and are below the Hispanic minority. Think about it???? It's also the other ethnic groups and the large Caucasian population that voted for him as well in those liberal areas....

Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I know places like Hall and Pike county are not part of the Metro ATL in the traditional sense, but I included them in the CSA definition because they are within about 80 miles of the city and are close enough that they do get commuters to the city. As for Clayton county, I would not even call it moderately liberal. Parts of Morrow near Clayton State, as well as areas of Lake City and Forest Park may lean a bit more liberal than the rest of the county but not by much. As for Newnan and Griffin, those precincts that went democrat were also majority minority areas (can be seen on the larger map demographics option on Spacial Social Science Lab site) though Carrollton may be influenced by the University of West GA being there. I also like the ARC GIS 2008 election results by precint map because you can go down to street level (I choose the Bing hybrid map option) and see exactly where the precinct lines run. On another note the results I gave initially for Grant Park and Little Five Points are mixed up. Little Five Points is 81% Obama and Grant Park is 80%. Having lived in Peachtree City and being a fairly liberal guy originally from NH, being so close to Brooks and Woolsey was quite the culture shock for me!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM

115 posts, read 212,577 times
Hi all,
I started browsing around this forum for this exact info and found this thread. My husband is being lured to the area for a new restaurant that is slated to open in Alpharetta. We are in the early, early stages of discussing a move but it's a very real possibility. I am from Portland, OR and he is from DC (he's black, I'm white, if that makes any difference). We moved from Portland to Durham, NC 4 years ago. One of my concerns about moving to the area (besides the traffic that I've been reading about so much on here) is that I will be surrounded by conservative-minded people. I keep hearing that Decatur is great but it looks like there's no way we would be able to live there with the cost-of-living (we can probably sell our house here for around $270,000). Another problem is that we really like to be "urban" people and have never felt drawn to live in the suburbs. Any advice for me? Will we find like-minded people? We've really enjoyed living in Durham, which is a lot like Portland in many ways (educated, pretty liberal, gay-friendly etc). Help!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandshaws View Post
Hi all,
I started browsing around this forum for this exact info and found this thread. My husband is being lured to the area for a new restaurant that is slated to open in Alpharetta. We are in the early, early stages of discussing a move but it's a very real possibility. I am from Portland, OR and he is from DC (he's black, I'm white, if that makes any difference). We moved from Portland to Durham, NC 4 years ago. One of my concerns about moving to the area (besides the traffic that I've been reading about so much on here) is that I will be surrounded by conservative-minded people. I keep hearing that Decatur is great but it looks like there's no way we would be able to live there with the cost-of-living (we can probably sell our house here for around $270,000). Another problem is that we really like to be "urban" people and have never felt drawn to live in the suburbs. Any advice for me? Will we find like-minded people? We've really enjoyed living in Durham, which is a lot like Portland in many ways (educated, pretty liberal, gay-friendly etc). Help!
There are several intown neighborhoods that you can afford with the money from selling your house. I suggest you start a new thread with this same paragraph and use the first post as a example of the type of answers to give for better suggestions from posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta