Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

If I am successful in my efforts, all of you guys will be liberals in a few years!
okay, maybe not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandshaws View Post
Another problem is that we really like to be "urban" people and have never felt drawn to live in the suburbs. Any advice for me? Will we find like-minded people?
As someone who moved here recently from Durham, I'm not sure what you are calling "urban" in Durham. There is nothing urban about the place, unless you are calling 9th street "urban" (yeah right). Durham is a big suburb, as is the rest of the triangle. So, though you may have "never felt drawn to live in the suburbs", you in fact live there right now, by Atlanta standards anyway.

But you are right, within the Atlanta area, Decatur is the most similar social environment to Durham.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM

115 posts, read 212,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
As someone who moved here recently from Durham, I'm not sure what you are calling "urban" in Durham. There is nothing urban about the place, unless you are calling 9th street "urban" (yeah right). Durham is a big suburb, as is the rest of the triangle. So, though you may have "never felt drawn to live in the suburbs", you in fact live there right now, by Atlanta standards anyway.

But you are right, within the Atlanta area, Decatur is the most similar social environment to Durham.
I know you're right, 10 feet tall! I guess my point is that (for Durham), living close to the downtown (as small as it is) is more "me" than say, Woodcroft or American Village...
Portland was much more of a bigger city, but still small when compared with Atlanta.
What do you think are the biggest differences between the 2 places? Do you like living in Atlanta more than you liked Durham? We live in Durham but both work in Raleigh so we do have a little more urban in our lives...
I would love to hear more thoughts from you about the differences!
And I'm guessing we can't afford Decatur, as much as I wish we could.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Portland,
Don't be sad about having to pass up Decatur. It's a little bit overhyped, I think. It's just a place that is really kid friendly with good schools. It really isn't that urban at all. It really feels (to me) like surburbia in the middle of the city. And it's not all that well-maintained (in terms of lawns). I lived in Northern Cali for awhile and I liken it to a place that kinda wants to feel like Berkeley...but misses the mark just a tad. I think you'd probably like Inman Park, Candler Park, Morningside much more. It feels a bit more urban, I'd say. These are just my opinions, of course. The Decatur people will be on to trample all over my post in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

Quote:
And I'm guessing we can't afford Decatur, as much as I wish we could.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Portland,
Don't be sad about having to pass up Decatur. It's a little bit overhyped, I think. It's just a place that is really kid friendly with good schools. It really isn't that urban at all. It really feels (to me) like surburbia in the middle of the city. And it's not all that well-maintained (in terms of lawns). I lived in Northern Cali for awhile and I liken it to a place that kinda wants to feel like Berkeley...but misses the mark just a tad. I think you'd probably like Inman Park, Candler Park, Morningside much more. It feels a bit more urban, I'd say. These are just my opinions, of course. The Decatur people will be on to trample all over my post in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...
We gon' git you, LovelySummer...

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
we gon' git you, lovelysummer...

Old 08-22-2013, 06:04 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
Quote:
I know you're right, 10 feet tall! I guess my point is that (for Durham), living close to the downtown (as small as it is) is more "me" than say, Woodcroft or American Village...
Portland was much more of a bigger city, but still small when compared with Atlanta.
What do you think are the biggest differences between the 2 places?
Like everyone always says, it would help to move here and rent a place until you get the vibe of the place. That is really the only way you'll know where you want to be. The two places really are not comparable in the sense that place X is Durham is similar to place Y in Atlanta. For example, the widely derided "out in the suburbs" area of Dunwoody/Sandy Springs is far more urbanized than anything in Durham or Raleigh.

In my experience people use the word "urban" as a code word for something else. Do you mean diverse? Liberal? Tolerant? High rise/apartment living? Walkability? You see, in Atlanta, these things all don't necessarily go together. For example, some of the most liberal areas are the least diverse (Decatur), and some of the most racially diverse areas (Dunwoody/Sandy Springs) lean conservative. The farther out suburbs of Alpharetta and Gwinnett County are some of the most racially diverse areas of the metro region. Also, true high rise/apartment living and true walkability are rare as hen's teeth in Atlanta and only available in a few pockets.

But here is the most significant difference between Atlanta and Durham. In Durham, social currency (i.e. what people value socially, and what social networks are based on) is education. Whereas in Atlanta, social currency is perceived money/wealth. Plain and simple, that will be the biggest culture shock for you.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Like everyone always says, it would help to move here and rent a place until you get the vibe of the place. That is really the only way you'll know where you want to be. The two places really are not comparable in the sense that place X is Durham is similar to place Y in Atlanta. For example, the widely derided "out in the suburbs" area of Dunwoody/Sandy Springs is far more urbanized than anything in Durham or Raleigh.

In my experience people use the word "urban" as a code word for something else. Do you mean diverse? Liberal? Tolerant? High rise/apartment living? Walkability? You see, in Atlanta, these things all don't necessarily go together. For example, some of the most liberal areas are the least diverse (Decatur), and some of the most racially diverse areas (Dunwoody/Sandy Springs) lean conservative. The farther out suburbs of Alpharetta and Gwinnett County are some of the most racially diverse areas of the metro region. Also, true high rise/apartment living and true walkability are rare as hen's teeth in Atlanta and only available in a few pockets.

But here is the most significant difference between Atlanta and Durham. In Durham, social currency (i.e. what people value socially, and what social networks are based on) is education. Whereas in Atlanta, social currency is perceived money/wealth. Plain and simple, that will be the biggest culture shock for you.
Thanks for your post. It's an interesting thought that I can have a more "urban" experience in a suburb like Dunwoody/Sandy Springs than Durham... I'll definitely check that out. Maybe I just need to change my perception of a suburb (in my head, they are pretty much strip malls and cookie-cutter homes, but that's what it's like here and in Portland). Yes, diversity is very important. Yes, tolerant is very important. High rise/apartment... not important. Walkability? Yes, would LOVE IT but we don't really have that here and I've gotten accustomed to it (but that was a big shock coming from Portland).
What you said about what people value is a bit shocking to me. Are you saying that if you're not wealthy, people don't value you and you won't be accepting socially? We've never had a ton of money but that has never stopped us from having a huge circle of friends. Aren't there enough transplants in Atlanta that would be like-minded... people that aren't caught up in the glitz and glamor of Southern wealth?
And one last question: do you LIKE living in Atlanta?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM

280 posts, read 389,686 times
Quote:

Atlanta is very diverse, so this also depends where you are and what social group you are talking about. There are massive numbers of people with academic backgrounds in the city proper and to many their education is more important than their wealth. In the Emory/GA Tech, Decatur, East Atlanta, VAHI, Morningside, and in the areas North of Emory (especially Oak Grove), there are a lot of education based social networks. I will meet the same people at museum and gallery openings, lectures, galleries, poetry and spoken word events (Write Club, Naked City, etc). The academic/charity/theology groups are extremely active tying Atlanta Charities (i.e., Care or the Carter Center) with the CDC, schools of public health and seminaries and churches. The academic music/theater and arts people in the city are very close knit. In Buckhead as a private school parent, there was a strong network of academics or people who had left academia to pursue business in their field.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
Atlanta is very diverse, so this also depends where you are and what social group you are talking about. There are massive numbers of people with academic backgrounds in the city proper and to many their education is more important than their wealth. In the Emory/GA Tech, Decatur, East Atlanta, VAHI, Morningside, and in the areas North of Emory (especially Oak Grove), there are a lot of education based social networks. I will meet the same people at museum and gallery openings, lectures, galleries, poetry and spoken word events (Write Club, Naked City, etc). The academic/charity/theology groups are extremely active tying Atlanta Charities (i.e., Care or the Carter Center) with the CDC, schools of public health and seminaries and churches. The academic music/theater and arts people in the city are very close knit. In Buckhead as a private school parent, there was a strong network of academics or people who had left academia to pursue business in their field.
We are neither in academia nor wealthy... just hoping to find open-minded, accepting awesome people that aren't judging me on having the wrong handbag! (Or am I suppose to call it a pocketbook?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta