Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,657,442 times

Advertisements

I was hoping it was climate change. Props to Coke though

Sorry about using a Yahoo news link...

Coca-Cola to address obesity for first time in ads - Yahoo! Finance

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,223,610 times
Quote:
The Atlanta-based company on Monday will begin airing a two-minute spot during the highest-rated shows on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC in hopes of flexing its marketing muscle in the debate over sodas and their impact on public health.
Quote:
For Coca-Cola, the world's No. 1 beverage company, the ads reflect the mounting pressures on the broader industry. Later this year, New York City is set to enact a first-in-the-nation cap on the size of soft drinks sold at restaurants, movie theaters and sports arenas. The mayor of Cambridge, Mass., has already introduced a similar measure, saying she was inspired by New York's move.
UGH.

Do we have to politicize EVERYTHING? I know that's where this is heading, already if you count the NYC ban. I don't drink sugary sodas and I don't really want my kids drinking much at all. But public health? There they go again. The over zealous media, the unfortunate "conversation makers" for American politics, are going to attempt to increase their ratings by making this into some sort of issue that needs to be regulated.

"But we have to do something!" How about.... "NO!!!!!!"

I for one wish Coke would ignore this. But they won't. They will end up taking some stand where they take quasi responsibility for obesity. Then help craft favorable legislation that helps them enhance the sales of their diet drinks. If they don't, Pepsi will. Government and corporations working together. Awwwww, isn't that nice.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,112,583 times
Guess we'll be seeing the Coke Polar Bears exercising while drinking Coke.

"Hava Coke....and exercise!"
"Hava Coke....and exercise!"
"After a long workout..have a Coke...you've burned enough calories!"
"And smiling burns more calories than a frown"
"So have a Coke...and a smile...now those calories are gone!"

Or will the ads be
"Should I have the burger...or the Coke...hmmmm." (and tosses the burger in favor of the Coke)

But really, regular Coke is empty calories. No nutrion for its caloric content. And I think high fructose corn syrup is bad for you and your liver. I gave up soft drinks years ago and now just drink filtered water.

And I don't trust the artificial sweetners either. I go with Stevia and if not that, real sugar over artificial sweentners or high fructose corn syrup.

And does anyone remember the old "Coke in the Morning" ads? Coke was trying to convince us to drink Coke for breakfast.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM

163 posts, read 430,325 times
All companies that manufacture food--especially food that could be construed as contributing to health issues--has to stay abreast of this. I used to work for Mars (manufacturer of Snickers, M&Ms, Twix, Starburst, etc.). There are a host of regulations on marketing to kids to be aware of, there are laws (such as the NYC ban) to stay current on and ahead of, on and on. These companies absolutely HAVE to play along to some degree if they want to continue to operate much as they want, without being called out for only contributing to a "problem" and not a solution. Does it suck? Sure does. Is it reality? Sure is.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,345,507 times
You mean drinking tons of a sugary beverage might be bad for me?

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,017,531 times
The biggest problem is that people are imbeciles who can't do simple things like read labels.

One thing that always tickled me is that you will see many parents order sodas for themselves, but insist on ordering Hi-C or the equivalent fruit drink from the soda fountain for their kids. Most of those drinks have in the neighborhood of triple the number of calories in the same serving size of Coca-cola.

It's intereresting to see companies bow to the pressure of dumb people. But Coke is incredibly savvy, they will just use it as a way to market lower calorie drinks.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,112,583 times
Problem is...we aren't blitzed by clever human psychology driven ads to eat more unprocessed fruits and vegetables. The processed food industry is an unchallenged advertising army.

We don't know how or don't have the time to eat healthy. And processed food is so convenient and easy to find. And the stuff will last for months, and even years.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,017,531 times
I know someone who was an engineer for Fresh Express.

I had been amazed by bagged salads and how ingredients from different regions could be brought together, put in a bag, and shipped to my grocery store and still stay fresh for a week, so I asked her how they did it.

It was fascinating. I don't know all the details, but she did tell me that if lettuce isn't refrigerated within 12 hours of being picked, it has to be thrown away. So they transport it on big refrigerated trucks. She also said they have teams of engineers that study each ingredient of each salad and all the bags are different depending on what is inside. They use all different kinds of plastic that are permeable to different gasses at different rates to maxmize how long the salad can stay fresh. Fresh Express also has a big simulated grocery store salad section and they test how long their salad can stay on the shelf and stay fresh.

The reason I bring this up is because I think convenience is the big thing that keeps people from eating healthy foods. Who has the time to go grocery shopping 2 or 3 times a week to keep getting fresh food and make sure you eat it before it goes bad? But Fresh Express kind of figured out how to keep bagged salad fresh for a while longer and make it more convenient, so maybe if this principle was applied to other kinds of fresh foods people would be more inclined to buy and eat them. It's hard to buy something that can't last a week in your refrigerator.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,133,653 times
Drinking soda doesn't make anyone obese.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM

368 posts, read 538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Drinking soda doesn't make anyone obese.
"For each additional serving of sugar-sweetened drink consumed, both body mass index (BMI) and frequency of obesity increased after adjustment for anthropometric, demographic, dietary, and lifestyle variables."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta