Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,895,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's not uncommon for entertainers to discuss their performances when they are in a university setting.
Its not uncommon but it also doesnt mean he has too. Perform and leave like most do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,655,315 times
It's a smh moment if anyone read this is questioning it.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM

32,000 posts, read 36,614,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Morehouse will be the first HBCU to have a LGBT course on campus
That shows real leadership on the part of Morehouse and is a great example of why it is a highly regarded institution.

Way to go, gentlemen.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,127,682 times
Noting that there are different types of rappers, based on the title of his song, I'm wondering if he is another misogynistic rapper? If so, why is he welcome at a school for the upliftment of men of caliber like Morehouse. Misogyny should be the problem of men AND women. It's not just a problem that women need to deal with.

Don't be quick to jump on the bandwagon of someone who is promoting negativity in one form or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Amen.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,127,682 times
I'm sorry. I disagree that allowing a rapper that promotes the objectification of women to come on Morehouse's campus is the way to handle the issue of objectification of women! This is like parents letting their kids to exposed to crap/nonsense and then sitting down having a discussion with them about it. I think the leadership at Morehouse should have shown these young men what MEN do about the objectification of women. They don't PROMOTE it.
This is why women are objectified. Nobody is willing to take a stand. Until it is THEIR daughter/sister/mother. Rape, the idea that women are the property of men - e.g., domestic violence against girlfriends and wives (which is becoming more widespread as against girlfriends and murders by boyfriends), the culture of child traffic (which is more widespread in Atlanta than most cities in the nation), prostitution AND *misogyny in music* - all of these things are related believe it or not in terms of what motivates people to have certain attitudes that women are to be objectified and/or are property to be handled as a man sees fit. Down with these attitudes. Morehouse men need to be taught what MEN do with misogynistic music. Just as a father (I presume) would teach his son. College is for more than just book studies. Lessons of how to grow into a man should be included and I think this was an opportunity for the older men/leadership to show the younger men what manhood is really all about (as if I know LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, that can open up a discussion as to what motiv
tes an objectification of women in modern rap music and what the intended and unintended consequences of that are. Maybe he can provide some insight as to why he does it and exactly what he means by it. Also, what is the motivation behind the acquisition of flashy material possessions? Does this type of idea give young African American men something to strive for, or send a dangerous message that money should be spent on material possessions instead of invested and grown to build wealth for future generations?

I bet 2 Chainz would probably have a lot to say if he was given a forum where an open and lively dialogue could take place between some ambitious college students and himself. It would be interesting.

Of course, that may be having hopes that are too high. I've never been more ashamed of my city than when I went to see an anniversary screening of Do The Right Thing at the Fox Theater followed by a q&a session with Spike Lee. Not a single person asked a poignant racial question, everyone in the audience only asked silly questions about the production of the film and of course half of the people who got through just begged Spike to read their screenplays. It was humiliating.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 01-20-2013 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM

492 posts, read 787,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I'm sorry. I disagree that allowing a rapper that promotes the objectification of women to come on Morehouse's campus is the way to handle the issue of objectification of women! This is like parents letting their kids to exposed to crap/nonsense and then sitting down having a discussion with them about it. I think the leadership at Morehouse should have shown these young men what MEN do about the objectification of women. They don't PROMOTE it.
This is why women are objectified. Nobody is willing to take a stand. Until it is THEIR daughter/sister/mother. Rape, the idea that women are the property of men - e.g., domestic violence against girlfriends and wives (which is becoming more widespread as against girlfriends and murders by boyfriends), the culture of child traffic (which is more widespread in Atlanta than most cities in the nation), prostitution AND *misogyny in music* - all of these things are related believe it or not in terms of what motivates people to have certain attitudes that women are to be objectified and/or are property to be handled as a man sees fit. Down with these attitudes. Morehouse men need to be taught what MEN do with misogynistic music. Just as a father (I presume) would teach his son. College is for more than just book studies. Lessons of how to grow into a man should be included and I think this was an opportunity for the older men/leadership to show the younger men what manhood is really all about (as if I know LOL).

I'm sorry, women aren't objectified becuase grown men are listening to party rap by a entertainer. I can see if these were impressionable kids but at this age music isn't going to really influence anything.

I don't even blame music causing anything for kids in most cases. I heard all kinds of stuff growing up but I was still taught right from wrong and knew what was just entertainment or not something to emulate for the most part.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Great points.

You have to wonder if Morehouse would allow a performer on campus who sexualized and objectified young black men. Would they dismiss it and say, "Oh, it's just entertainment, nobody is actually affected by that stuff."

Why the double standard when it comes to treating women that way? I'd say that Dr. Boyce Watkins is right on target.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 PM

492 posts, read 787,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Great points.

You have to wonder if Morehouse would allow a performer on campus who sexualized and objectified young black men. Would they dismiss it and say, "Oh, it's just entertainment, nobody is actually affected by that stuff."

Why the double standard when it comes to treating women that way? I'd say that Dr. Boyce Watkins is right on target.
What performer sexualitizes young black men? Got any examples?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM

16,647 posts, read 29,370,081 times
Quote:
Noting that there are different types of rappers, based on the title of his song, I'm wondering if he is another misogynistic rapper? If so, why is he welcome at a school for the upliftment of men of caliber like Morehouse. Misogyny should be the problem of men AND women. It's not just a problem that women need to deal with.

Don't be quick to jump on the bandwagon of someone who is promoting negativity in one form or another.

Uh, bandwagon? Huh?

My "Amen" was to acknowledge the notion of Morehouse trying to do different things and diversify the college experience--and the fact that many people always knock whatever Morehourse (and black men in general) tries to do.

Misogyny in music artists and college life is a whole other topic--and this is really not the thread for it.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
What performer sexualitizes young black men? Got any examples?
Er, that's the point. They don't, because if they did it would be considered an intolerable outrage against humanity.

With young women, folks just brush it off and say, "Oh, we're just having a little fun. It doesn't mean anything at all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta