Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And--what these little boys just don't realize is how Georgia State University has come since the late 1990's. The change (and improvement) has been drastic in just over a decade.

GSU has the potential to be a state-school version of BU or NYU--somewhat similar (maybe even better someday) to Temple.

Continuing to embrace downtown (and connecting neighborhoods) and continuing to build more dorms will help with this. As well as marketing itself to the UGA-rejects as an excellent in-state university alternative. GCSU has done a good job with this--but I think GSU could do an even better job with these wannabe-UGAers if they put their mind to it.

-Not when the school SAT's score are back in a decline.

-Not when Calculus is taken out of the standard college curriculum.

-Not when downtown Atlanta is still the way it is.

-Not when you have ghetto hoodrats constantly hanging around the campus even when they aren't students.

-Not when you have hip hop dominating the school's culture.

-Not when graduate students teach the vast majority of your undergraduate courses

-Not when you have some professors who come in simply for their money and not have any passion in teaching

GSU has ages before it becomes a NYU or Penn State if it EVER does. GSU has MASSIVE spending issues and the university gets no donations from it's alumni. It can barely afford to pay it's professors. What makes you think they want to put more passion into teaching if they are getting paid less and less each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
If a school is offering you thousands of dollar a year back in refunds, I would probably take it too.

Perhaps but not necessarily.

Getting into a great, top-notch school would negate his "situation"--but then getting into a top-notch grad school would be a must (since he cares about the reputation thing so much--and it seems important to him).

Otherwise, riding the Tech repuation wave can be a boon (for those that care about these things)...especially at the bargain/steal in-state tuition price.

It is important to look at the long-game (if that's important).

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
Quote:
And--what these little boys just don't realize is how Georgia State University has come since the late 1990's. The change (and improvement) has been drastic in just over a decade.

GSU has the potential to be a state-school version of BU or NYU--somewhat similar (maybe even better someday) to Temple.

Continuing to embrace downtown (and connecting neighborhoods) and continuing to build more dorms will help with this. As well as marketing itself to the UGA-rejects as an excellent in-state university alternative. GCSU has done a good job with this--but I think GSU could do an even better job with these wannabe-UGAers if they put their mind to it.
You know how I know you don't know what you're talking about? You comparing a poor, state school like GSU to two top PRIVATE research universities. That doesn't even make sense! NYU and BU are completely different from us. The only thing these schools have in common is being in the city. Why not add Tokyo University to the list?

I second what ant said..so..so...so..soooo many times. smh.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Perhaps but not necessarily.

Getting into a great, top-notch school would negate his "situation"--but then getting into a top-notch grad school would be a must (since he cares about the reputation thing so much--and it seems important to him).

Otherwise, riding the Tech repuation wave can be a boon (for those that care about these things)...especially at the bargain/steal in-state tuition price.

It is important to look at the long-game (if that's important).

His money can be saved up for graduate school where he can get a Maste's degree, get potentially better jobs and higher salary....with a master's, his chances for a good job increases. It just means a few more semester of college.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:

-Not when you have ghetto hoodrats constantly hanging around the campus even when they aren't students.

-Not when graduate students teach the vast majority of your undergraduate courses

-Not when you have some professors who come in simply for their money and not have any passion in teaching

GSU has ages before it becomes a NYU or Penn State if it EVER does. GSU has MASSIVE spending issues and the university gets no donations from it's alumni. It can barely afford to pay it's professors. What makes you think they want to put more passion into teaching if they are getting paid less and less each year?
Not when your schools' theme song is about losing HOPE scholarship...if they have it in the first place. We have plenty of potential..but a long way to go before we become the Michigan State or Florida State like you imply. I just wish we would spend more money improving things that matter.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
If true, this is a big problem.
Quote:
GSU no longer offerc Calculus? I find that hard to believe. Most colleges only require 6 credit hours of math, and that can be satisfied with courses other than calculus like stats and other maths. That's true most places.
Quote:
People in college don't need urban areas. Most great colleges are in pathetic college towns.
Quote:
If GSU has a security problem, the university definitely needs to address this. I went to University of Florida the year after the Danny Rolling murders, and UF took huge strides to make sure the campus was 100% safe at all times. GSU probably needs to do this now and not wait for one of its students to get murdered first.
Quote:
I don't believe it. GSU has too large of a student body for hip hop to dominate the culture. I'm sure there are hundreds of cultures happening there from nerd culture to jock culture and everything in between. Just like everywhere else.
Quote:
That's everywhere from Berkely to Northwestern. Graduate TAs always teach undergrad courses. If you study computer science, you're lucky to have any that speak good enough English for you to even understand. That is universal, except maybe at the Ivy Leagues, and probably even there.
Quote:
All schools have this. Every single one.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM

And it really does genuinely bother me that a Canadian rapper had to mention GSU out of ALL the ghetto schools he could've picked in the nation or WORLD(he's Canadian mind you). All the possible HBCUs, all the possible state schools, all the possible community colleges, technical colleges, minority majority schools, football schools, Ivy leauges...he just had to rap about GSU.

That hurts. Freaking Drake.

Oh believe it ATLJL. You need to check out the 2012 SAT/GPA trend thread..and GSU's campus while you're at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1q_blnBgNA

Omg..the first few words too. fml man. I'm glad my major and career path isn't really heavy on where I went for undergrad. Look at our endowment too.

And no, it's the undergrads who teach classes..not graduate students. We wish.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:

1. A one (or few) year decline in SAT scores is nothing to be alarmed about--yet.

2. Do you know how many top-university alumni I know that have never taken Calculus while in college--regardless of AP credit/high school courses?

3. As GA State improves, so will Downtown Atlanta. It is much better than it was--a testament to GSU's improvement.

4. That's part of an urban experience/urban university. When I was at Georgia Tech, we were constantly harassed by homelessmen--more of a nuisance than harmless "hoodrats."

5. What's wrong with hip-hop? It's a beautiful American art form. Don't let your biases or prejudices get in the way.

6. This is very common--probably even worse at schools that are considered more "top-notch."

7. Very common--do you know what is really like with professors at many of the Ivy Leagues, GT, and other top schools? Ever heard of publish or perish?

And Penn State is not an urban university. What you are describing are common gripes at most large universities. If UGA or Tech weren't in the cards for you, you probably should have considered GCSU in Milledgeville. I think it would have had what you are looking for--at a fabulous in-state price.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
You know how I know you don't know what you're talking about? You comparing a poor, state school like GSU to two top PRIVATE research universities. That doesn't even make sense! NYU and BU are completely different from us. The only thing these schools have in common is being in the city. Why not add Tokyo University to the list?

I second what ant said..so..so...so..soooo many times. smh.

You need to it read again--and improve your critical reading skills.

I specifically said a state-school version of BU and NYU.

And I distinctively compared GSU to Temple--another public urban university.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If true, this is a big problem.

GSU no longer offerc Calculus? I find that hard to believe. Most colleges only require 6 credit hours of math, and that can be satisfied with courses other than calculus like stats and other maths. That's true most places.

People in college don't need urban areas. Most great colleges are in pathetic college towns.

If GSU has a security problem, the university definitely needs to address this. I went to University of Florida the year after the Danny Rolling murders, and UF took huge strides to make sure the campus was 100% safe at all times. GSU probably needs to do this now and not wait for one of its students to get murdered first.

I don't believe it. GSU has too large of a student body for hip hop to dominate the culture. I'm sure there are hundreds of cultures happening there from nerd culture to jock culture and everything in between. Just like everywhere else.

That's everywhere from Berkely to Northwestern. Graduate TAs always teach undergrad courses. If you study computer science, you're lucky to have any that speak good enough English for you to even understand. That is universal, except maybe at the Ivy Leagues, and probably even there.

All schools have this. Every single one.

Sorry, ATLTJL...we were writing at the same time and I didn't see your post (you got it in first). But we said a lot of similar things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta