U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM

7,750 posts, read 9,626,927 times

Advertisements

From the posts of people wanting to move to Atlanta without jobs lined up, I've read a lot of good strategies and suggestions from posters on this board regarding how to find a job.

I even remember someone saying "learn how to use LinkedIn."

So I was just wondering, can you all make suggestions for good job seeking strategies in Atlanta? When you say learn how to use LinkedIn, does that mean just to use the job board section of the site and try to use people you know to connect to people in target companies, or are there some other LinkedIn secrets?

I'm just curious because even though I'm gainfully employed, I'm starting to get a little itchy and ready to explore the next big thing. I think I may even want to have a bit of a career change, so utilitzing industry contacts probably isn't going to work. So I need strategies for people who don't have skills on a resume that are going to jump out as "exactly what we're looking for!" but more of for how to get people to give you a chance based on what you have achieved in your own field and your critical thinking abilities, etc.

I know the basic strategies of networking, going to meetings, using all your contacts, and so on. I was just wondering if there are specific strategies that are working well in this market, if there is a single place where a lot of good people to know are, if there is a great website I'm not aware of, if there are big LinkedIn secrets, etc. I haven't launched a major job search campaign in a really long time. It was in the 90s!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, what I am hoping to do is finally start using the MBA I earned many years ago. It would hopefully be in the field of marketing, brand management, or even public relations. I know I'll probably have to take a step down, but I'd like to minimize that as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,319,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
From the posts of people wanting to move to Atlanta without jobs lined up, I've read a lot of good strategies and suggestions from posters on this board regarding how to find a job.

I even remember someone saying "learn how to use LinkedIn."

So I was just wondering, can you all make suggestions for good job seeking strategies in Atlanta? When you say learn how to use LinkedIn, does that mean just to use the job board section of the site and try to use people you know to connect to people in target companies, or are there some other LinkedIn secrets?

I'm just curious because even though I'm gainfully employed, I'm starting to get a little itchy and ready to explore the next big thing. I think I may even want to have a bit of a career change, so utilitzing industry contacts probably isn't going to work. So I need strategies for people who don't have skills on a resume that are going to jump out as "exactly what we're looking for!" but more of for how to get people to give you a chance based on what you have achieved in your own field and your critical thinking abilities, etc.

I know the basic strategies of networking, going to meetings, using all your contacts, and so on. I was just wondering if there are specific strategies that are working well in this market, if there is a single place where a lot of good people to know are, if there is a great website I'm not aware of, if there are big LinkedIn secrets, etc. I haven't launched a major job search campaign in a really long time. It was in the 90s!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, what I am hoping to do is finally start using the MBA I earned many years ago. It would hopefully be in the field of marketing, brand management, or even public relations. I know I'll probably have to take a step down, but I'd like to minimize that as much as possible.
I think JobFox is a good resource. They send out updates of Jobs available in your desired field of interest. It's free too.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM

1,198 posts, read 3,379,358 times
I think if you are not sure how to do something, may be it is worth talking to a HR / staffing agency, and let them do the work for you. I have seen people refer to these even in this forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 21,820 times
Getting a job in ATL is very hard, unless you have the specific skill set that is in the the job description you are applying for. Even then don't expect to get a call for a interview. I am currently employed, have an MBA and 8 years of corporate analytical experience as an Analyst. I have been in the market looking and applying for a few years and still have had minimum luck. LUCK and CONNECTIONS in high places are the 2 weapons you will need in the ATL job market. Sites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and Linkedin are good sites to focus on. Also I recommend that you have your resume written by a professional before applying. Don't expect a call from the HR or the Recruiter for any position you apply for, even if you meet all of the requirements. If you get a interview, and they invite you back for a 2nd, and 3rd; don't expect an offer. Don't get excited if you get a call or interview, just go on with life as normal because chances are you won't get the job. Only get excited when they call or email you with an official offer. I hope I don't sound negative in anyway, but ATL job market is jacked up. I have mostly concentrated on Business Analyst, Project Management, or any other type of Analyst titled job; I have had several great interviews, even had hiring managers tell me in the interview that they like me and what I can bring to the company and I should hear from HR soon, but guess what Rejection email (get used to those, you will get a lot of them). Just my luck about 6 months ago I got a offer from a company but the salary was less than I make now, they would not bulge on it. They wasted my time and their's and I specifically indicated on my application what my salary requirements would be. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by Determined2; 01-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,167,948 times
My friends and I all had luck using websites like Indeed for job search purposes, networking at various professional conferences (a lot of which are held in ATL), and using job search directories on our fields various organizational websites.

I've seen lots of negativity concerning the Atlanta job market on this forum, but maybe people just aren't selling themselves correctly? I'm not sure, but myself and a good portion of friends here all found jobs within a few months of graduating from a masters program in 2011. I actually started applying well before graduation because of the job market, but landed full-time employment before I graduated. Not everyone was so lucky, but almost everybody I know had a job in Atlanta within 5 months of graduation. Just my experience, I'm sure people in other fields may not be so lucky.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM

You guys have raised some excellent points, so I was wondering if you could follow up by answering a couple of specific questions:

1) Resume writing services - I agree, this is important. But I'm a writer myself, and I find that most "professional resume writers" are really just unemployed English majors that don't rewrite your resume for you as much as just reformat it. I probably need this help because even though I am an excellent writer, I am having a very difficult time framing my industry specific experience in a context that would make sense to someone outside of my industry. Can anybody recommend a professional resume writing service that knows how to get actual results and really give you a kick @ss document?

2) Industry meetings are really great. I have found that anything that bills itself as a "networking meeting" is just a bunch of job seekers, mostly unemployed. Any time I go to these, I end up answering questions from people wanting to work for my company instead of finding people who I can talk to about theirs. So far I have had good luck at local chamber of commerce and other meetings organized through the county where local business leaders attend. I know there are some professional business organizations that meet in the Atlanta Financial Center, etc., are any of these actually worthwhile? My female friends have had great luck networking through the Junior League of Atlanta. What would be a good male counterpart to that?

3) I wanted to try to keep this thread Atlanta-centric so it wouldn't get locked, but truth be told, it's not important to me to stay in Atlanta. If you were looking to get into the world of marketing (and I mean strategic business marketing, not advertising or sales), is there another city or region that you would concentrate on?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM

261 posts, read 329,739 times
I was laid off in May 2012 and it took me about 6 months to find a new job. I'm essentially a general manager, but did not start getting calls until I started focusing on analytics.

I would highly recommend Dice if you are in analytics. I've had a lot of recruiters contact me from Dice, although only one in Atlanta (others on the west coast, NYC, Boston, VA, etc). I would not pay for a professional resume writing service as after speaking to MANY executive recruiters and working with an outplacement firm, I soon realized they all had their own ways to write resumes. Actually, one of my recruiters (found through Dice) actually had me rewrite my resume to focus on analytics and gave me pointers based on what he knew the target company liked.

I would recommend finding executive recruiters in your field and following them on Twitter or putting your resume in their database. In general, my experience has been that it is all about your network in Atlanta and who you know. The exception is if you go the recruiter path.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM

Dice seems to be for IT professionals.

I'm not an IT pro. I know how to run analyses through Excel and Monte Carlo simulations and things like that, but truth be told, it's not my favorite thing to do. Even so, that's low level compared to what you see on Dice. My specialty isn't in running data, but rather in putting together the intelligence that the data indicates when deconstructed and put into the proper framework. But collecting and sorting the data itself, not so much my thing. Maybe I'm going to have to just accept that this is going to be a part of any decent job?

One big issue with marketing is when searching for jobs, it's an attractive category and a lot of total BS jobs get posted there. I know that it's impossible to get a job from a posting, but it's a way to start figuring out what is out there and the skills employers are seeking.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM

261 posts, read 329,739 times
All I can say is I'm not an IT pro either. In fact, I've never worked in an IT department and don't know any current languages. There appears to be a shortage of analysts who understand the web, social, etc. Essentially, the BA role I got was doing social media care analysis. I also got calls for other web/marketing BA-like roles although most were outside of GA.

I actually found the last job I had from a posting, but the posters were in NYC and it was a remote/work from home position. However, I admit my situation was unusual as it seems like in Atlanta it is all about who you know.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

38 posts, read 36,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined2 View Post
I have had several great interviews, even had hiring managers tell me in the interview that they like me and what I can bring to the company and I should hear from HR soon, but guess what Rejection email (get used to those, you will get a lot of them).

What's with this?? My husband, who's an accountant/CPA looking for work has had this happen several times. We are from DC where people are much more honest and to the point. Why can't people in the south be up front about ANYTHING, especially hiring managers?? At least then you could get some honest feedback to take to the next interview...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or