Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,723,565 times

Advertisements

I should add that these folks I hired all had engineering degrees and 5 years work experience, OR an unrelated degree, great aptitude and 15 years experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM

23 posts, read 45,041 times
Yep...work experience is a huge factor
Education doesn't seem to have much merit then once originally thought.

Currently work at Wipro in buckhead which is currently doing a contracting project with Verizon
(So as far as the customer is concerned I'm from Verizon HSI business technical support)

Shrugs...

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Have you looked at Southern Poly? Don't worry about transfer credit so much..as others said, EET is almost useless in this economy. Do you want to do low level computer tech help/IT/administrator stuff, or move into routing, switching, network design/architecture?
That school never came to mind but I'll defiantly look into it.

I'll have to do this once I'm fully awak but, if I where to go back to DeVry I actually thought Computer Information Systems would sound more interesting to dabble with the overall world of computers...plus there's numerous specialization (if that really means anything)

Hows CIS in this day and age?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 AM

Guess not lol

Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Well I'm back...

And I've pretty much come to conclusion I'll either take EET or CIS

Which is more "in demand" in terms of jobs
both of them require the same remaining credits to graduate to technically doesn't matter which i choose as it's the same time frame but would still would like thoughts on it and decide which id enjoy more.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

42 posts, read 47,943 times
As discussed there are many opinions regarding DeVry good and bad I won't get into that :-). I graduated from DeVry with a Bachelor's in CIS and recently attained my Master's from Keller (DeVry's Grad School) in MISM (Information Systems Management). The knowledge you gain is on par with many of the more "respected" colleges/universities, but DeVry is expensive! If you do decide to return to DeVry, I think CIS is a very solid choice. There are many specialties or concentrations under the CIS umbrella that are in high demand. Do your research and make the decision that's best for you. Good Luck!!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,136,808 times
I would be very wary of going to a for-profit school, period. Their objective is to make money, not to serve the students.

I'd consider Georgia Perimeter College, if it has something you're looking for.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 PM

93 posts, read 109,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I would be very wary of going to a for-profit school, period. Their objective is to make money, not to serve the students.

I'd consider Georgia Perimeter College, if it has something you're looking for.
This.

I would suggest working toward IT certifications than to buy a college degree from a for profit diploma mill. Hiring managers do not take the for profit schools seriously. Get a marketable skill not a diploma from a school that carries no weight.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM

847 posts, read 1,453,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
Well I'm back...

And I've pretty much come to conclusion I'll either take EET or CIS

Which is more "in demand" in terms of jobs
both of them require the same remaining credits to graduate to technically doesn't matter which i choose as it's the same time frame but would still would like thoughts on it and decide which id enjoy more.
You have to be careful when it comes to choosing something simply because it is "in demand". Demand can change at a moment's notice, so what is in demand in 2013 may or may not still be in demand a few years down the line.

EET and CIS will take you down different roads to different career paths. At this point, you need to decide which one is right for you as an individual. Even though many people change careers more than once, it helps to get started in something that you actually wouldn't mind doing for the bulk of your time as a working adult. As some others have stated, if you are looking at the CIS/IT route then you will definitely need some certifications. In some cases, the certifications may actually hold more weight than a BA or BS.

You have to also keep in mind that this is a marathon and not a sprint. If you have a full-time job and a decent living situation, then there is no need to rush into a program without weighing all of your options and the potential outcomes (career paths, student loan debt/payments, quality of life, etc.).

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 50,402 times
You are curious about the rep of Devry with employers...so you've had some negative feedback about it?

Nothing beats direct experience, IMO. Certs are a good addition, and like the other poster said, a cheaper alternative...but your best bet is to work hard, save some money (get a good used car with a few miles on it, not a beefy new car loan), and try to get ahead in your current job. Becoming a call center manager would be way better than more "education", and it would increase your income, not put you into debt.

Ask your current boss for more assignments, or do some kiss-butt work for them. You might be promoted or get a raise because of it....plus you have all of your time off for yourself without having to do more schoolwork.

Also...Devry is a joke. Sorry. I know someone who is in 100k of debt because of Devry, and has nothing to show for it. It didn't help, and actually hurt their career. She was being told through her contacts it was not good to put it on her resume, and has since removed it.

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta