Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM

38 posts, read 62,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big l View Post
another option would be to hold off on going back to school until you get on with an employer that offers tuition reimbursement. Since you already have a hefty bill for your associate degree, this could be a way to avoid racking up more student loan debt while you finish school.
bingo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,580 times
I recently did some research on the for-profit education industry for other purpose and would like to give you some background first. Costwise, the for-profit schools (including DeVry) sit between state colleges and private institutions but is much higher than community colleges. The industry strives on government grants/loans and agressive marketing practices. However, the congress has noticed the high default rates on its loans and issued multiple rules to the industry. Those include limits on fundings from government, cap on default rates, authorization on state level and regulations on marketing practices. As a result, the industry is free falling and hunger to fill its spaces. To make things worse, North Learning Center (NLC), where most of the for profits get their acceditations from, is underinvestigation for its loose criteria (search for American Continental University) and now is tighting its rules on other for profit schools (look for University of Phenix's accredition renewal issue and BridgePoint).

To answer your question about accredention, I would say that as long as DeVry gets it from one regional accredention center (in this case NLC), it is good for the whole nation, assuming NLC has no problems. But the accredention will be up for renewal in the future so be careful based on recent cases.

Is this a good investment for you? I am not sure. the pro side is that for profit schools offer flexible learning experience and have little requirement for your GPA or any test scores that are usually required by other institutions. But the con side is always on cost, rate of return. I would suggest you to talk to your classmates or other alumini in the same area to get the answer. Another resource will be its website. I think now the government demands all schools to publish some data regarding placements and starting salary base (be mindful that schools can still manipulate them).

My recommendation: Check other alternatives first. Community college will always be a good one if they accept your credits and allow you to move towards a Bachlor degree. If you still decide to go for-profit, ask for a big grant as they are craving for new blood.

Good luck,

Last edited by fzx; 01-23-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Honestly should not your three years of work experience be good enough to move up. I guess that would also depend on rather your landing a job with your current associate degree. $30,000 or more dollars of debt may no be the best solution. An Associate degree with job experience is probably the best option for moving up.
I can't agree enough. Skip DeVry. The quality of education recieved versus the price paid coupled with employer reputation is a giveaway.

I will add that internships are not just for undergrads. Take advantage of beefing up your resume. A diploma from Devry may not carry the same weight as interning with a locally known company or corporation.

You can also take advantage of certificate programs offered by universities. That's always a viable and cheap option.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Have you consider the Air Force, if you still young enough. You could get all the College Level training and plus the GI Bill for school expenses.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Have you checked the online colleges. My daughter got her bachelors online attending Phoenix University. She worked, had 3 children and is a wife to a service person who was often overseas. So, I think you could maintain your fulltime job and finish your bachelors degree. You should explore that option, I think you would benefit greatly.

Last edited by JanND; 01-23-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
I recently did some research on the for-profit education industry for other purpose and would like to give you some background first. Costwise, the for-profit schools (including DeVry) sit between state colleges and private institutions but is much higher than community colleges. The industry strives on government grants/loans and agressive marketing practices. However, the congress has noticed the high default rates on its loans and issued multiple rules to the industry. Those include limits on fundings from government, cap on default rates, authorization on state level and regulations on marketing practices. As a result, the industry is free falling and hunger to fill its spaces. To make things worse, North Learning Center (NLC), where most of the for profits get their acceditations from, is underinvestigation for its loose criteria (search for American Continental University) and now is tighting its rules on other for profit schools (look for University of Phenix's accredition renewal issue and BridgePoint).

To answer your question about accredention, I would say that as long as DeVry gets it from one regional accredention center (in this case NLC), it is good for the whole nation, assuming NLC has no problems. But the accredention will be up for renewal in the future so be careful based on recent cases.

Is this a good investment for you? I am not sure. the pro side is that for profit schools offer flexible learning experience and have little requirement for your GPA or any test scores that are usually required by other institutions. But the con side is always on cost, rate of return. I would suggest you to talk to your classmates or other alumini in the same area to get the answer. Another resource will be its website. I think now the government demands all schools to publish some data regarding placements and starting salary base (be mindful that schools can still manipulate them).

My recommendation: Check other alternatives first. Community college will always be a good one if they accept your credits and allow you to move towards a Bachlor degree. If you still decide to go for-profit, ask for a big grant as they are craving for new blood.

Good luck,

What's the difference between for profit and private?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
What's the difference between for profit and private?
For-profit schools work much like corporations. Their goal is to get the most money from you as possible without regard for your education. You want a degree, and they want money.

Private universities are universities not operated by governments. They don't receive public funding. They may get tax-breaks, but not much else. We give Emory quite the tax break because of how much they bring to Georgia and Atlanta. The Ivies, religiously/racially affiliated school(Georgetown, HBCUs), smaller LACs(liberal arts colleges) are usually private.

For-profits are a hot debate in higher ed. Basically, one said says, "Hey if you're dumb enough to fall for this trap, the corporations-er schools-deserve your money."

On the other hand people think it's unethical. Some believe it to be much like putting lead into water without regulation.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
DeVry and ITT are outrageously expensive for what you get. As you've realized, their credits don't transfer to most places, so you're stuck using them if you want to further your education. As crazy as it sounds, it may be cheaper to start over at a state school than to continue at DeVry

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

23 posts, read 45,212 times
Alot of things to think about (sorry for the long response just came in the house from a lil OT at work :P)

In reference to a couple of people's response's questions.

1.I'm 23.
2.Currently split an apartment with my dad. (Stockbridge)
3.No wife, no kids (yay lol)
4.I'd just like pursue a career in computer field. Trying to learn more about computers in and out....even plan to build one from scratch...although according to my friend it's like lego for big kids lol
5. For that brief moment out of graduation only jobs I had was Blue Bell (09-11) Six Flags (2010) and Teacher's Assistant at my mother's school (wasn't anything official but I was there enough to might as well)

So yea....not looking all promising on my resume
6.Also trying to get a new car...

So yea alot on my plate at the moment...

My problem was I didn't apply myself like I should have

Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
Alot of things to think about (sorry for the long response just came in the house from a lil OT at work :P)

In reference to a couple of people's response's questions.

1.I'm 23.
2.Currently split an apartment with my dad. (Stockbridge)
3.No wife, no kids (yay lol)
4.I'd just like pursue a career in computer field. Trying to learn more about computers in and out....even plan to build one from scratch...although according to my friend it's like lego for big kids lol
5. For that brief moment out of graduation only jobs I had was Blue Bell (09-11) Six Flags (2010) and Teacher's Assistant at my mother's school (wasn't anything official but I was there enough to might as well)

So yea....not looking all promising on my resume
6.Also trying to get a new car...

So yea alot on my plate at the moment...

My problem was I didn't apply myself like I should have
You're 23, single, and childless. That alone gives you more options than a lot of other people. You don't have to rush to a day care when you get off from work or get your wife's input about how going back to school.

Since you don't have a wife or child to come home to after work, you can easily go to class just about anywhere in Metro Atlanta if you need to. That includes driving up to Alpharetta or Kennesaw if it comes to that. Sometimes you have to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gain. It would be better for you bite the bullet and spend some nights in class now rather than being in your 30s or 40s wishing that you had done so when you had the chance.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of people that are successful didn't have great resumes when they were 23. Some people in your age group have only worked at fast food jobs and have never even stepped foot on a college campus. Your situation is actually better than you seem to think. Your future can be bright if you get more confidence in what you are doing in the present. A new car is actually the least of your worries at this point, especially if you are working in a call center and not making a lot of money.

Do some research on degree programs in the area that interest you and then go from there. Don't worry about not applying yourself in the past since life is a marathon and not a sprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta