U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Reputation: 1421

Advertisements

So, with all the fuss about IB schools, I'd assumed that this would be the option that any parent would love for his/her child. Me included. However, having just read a comment from a parent who has had a middle schooler in an IB school for 3 years and wants out, I had to post this question. Are IB schools for average kids or for diehard academics? How many hours of homework per night are we talking? What makes the progrm so rigorous.

The parent mentioned that it was extremely rigorous, stressful on the family and just not a good fit bc his/her child is not a diehard academic. Are typical kids (most of whom may be intlligent but are not diehard academics) right for IB schools? Parents of IB schoolers, is it stressful on the child? On the parent?

We've heard of the pros - what are the cons? Anyone willing to provide food for thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM
 
492 posts, read 599,666 times
Reputation: 248
IB is serious business. If your kid is not as inclined academically I would just settle for AP/ Advanced courses and let them grow in what they show productive interest like art, sports, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
 
4,570 posts, read 6,376,601 times
Reputation: 2522
Be sure to check on the type of courses they offer. The IB program ended up being a huge waste of my time, because most colleges ONLY accept HL credit (the majority of IB courses at my school were by far SL classes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Reputation: 7536
There's a pretty large crowd of tinfoil hat wearing lunatics blathering on and on about how IB is anti-American and is some sort of evil international conpiracy to turn our kids into beret wearing, baguette eating softies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Reputation: 1421
I heard someone else complain that, for it to be an international program, there was surprising little about cultures other than western cultures but I'd never heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's a pretty large crowd of tinfoil hat wearing lunatics blathering on and on about how IB is anti-American and is some sort of evil international conpiracy to turn our kids into beret wearing, baguette eating softies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Reputation: 1421
Know anything about IB at the elementary and middle school levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
IB is serious business. If your kid is not as inclined academically I would just settle for AP/ Advanced courses and let them grow in what they show productive interest like art, sports, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM
 
10 posts, read 18,267 times
Reputation: 16
LovelySummer
I think it may have been my comment you read. Either way, we are wrapping up my sons eighth grade year in an IB middle school.
IB is very rigorous. 5-6 major projects each quarter. 1.5-2 hours homework every night. My son was strictly an A/B student thru 5th grade. 6th grade hit and the war in our house started. In all fairness, I believe it was a combination of nearing puberty, middle school and IB all colliding. My son is smart. He had to be to get into the IB school and remain for all 3 years. Our school has entrance and yearly requirements to remain in program. We've made it, sometimes by the skin of our teeth.
Plain and simple my son has been lazy. He admits it but IB pushes kids hard. Very rigorous. Kids can get burnt out. With that being said would we do it again, YES!! But we won't continue onto IB in HS. I would rather he choose AP or honors vs be required to take in all courses.
Some kids are academically motivated at a young age. My son just hasn't been. It's taking him longer and being a single mom, it's been hard on our relationship. But it's been an amazing experience as well. I LOVE his school. And he will be better off in the long run having had done IB GRADES 6-8.
Good luck. Only you know your child's motivation, maturity, intelligence level and readiness for an IB program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Reputation: 1421
KTL, thank u for sharing ur insights. My son is not even 2 yet so I'm not asking for myself, per se. I just thought that the notion that IB was not the end-all-be-all was intriguing as I've never heard the downside. I think that it's perfectly understandable if a kid in 6th-8th grade doesn't want to do 2 hours of hw every night and doesn't want to do 5-6 major projects a quarter. I have to believe the kids who "like" doing that are perhpas influenced by parents or peers. What kid wants to do all of that work (instead of spending time on the telephone, playing sports, video games or other things that kids like to do). I say kudos for recognizing the effect its having on ur relationship and that ur son is perhaps not happy in the program and not compelling him to continue on. We have to be true to ourselves and teach our children to have the insight and courage to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL75 View Post
LovelySummer
I think it may have been my comment you read. Either way, we are wrapping up my sons eighth grade year in an IB middle school.
IB is very rigorous. 5-6 major projects each quarter. 1.5-2 hours homework every night. My son was strictly an A/B student thru 5th grade. 6th grade hit and the war in our house started. In all fairness, I believe it was a combination of nearing puberty, middle school and IB all colliding. My son is smart. He had to be to get into the IB school and remain for all 3 years. Our school has entrance and yearly requirements to remain in program. We've made it, sometimes by the skin of our teeth.
Plain and simple my son has been lazy. He admits it but IB pushes kids hard. Very rigorous. Kids can get burnt out. With that being said would we do it again, YES!! But we won't continue onto IB in HS. I would rather he choose AP or honors vs be required to take in all courses.
Some kids are academically motivated at a young age. My son just hasn't been. It's taking him longer and being a single mom, it's been hard on our relationship. But it's been an amazing experience as well. I LOVE his school. And he will be better off in the long run having had done IB GRADES 6-8.
Good luck. Only you know your child's motivation, maturity, intelligence level and readiness for an IB program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
 
2,599 posts, read 2,975,823 times
Reputation: 1421
And thanks again for spelling out the hw and project requirements. It is good for parents to know what is involved ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL75 View Post
LovelySummer
I think it may have been my comment you read. Either way, we are wrapping up my sons eighth grade year in an IB middle school.
IB is very rigorous. 5-6 major projects each quarter. 1.5-2 hours homework every night. My son was strictly an A/B student thru 5th grade. 6th grade hit and the war in our house started. In all fairness, I believe it was a combination of nearing puberty, middle school and IB all colliding. My son is smart. He had to be to get into the IB school and remain for all 3 years. Our school has entrance and yearly requirements to remain in program. We've made it, sometimes by the skin of our teeth.
Plain and simple my son has been lazy. He admits it but IB pushes kids hard. Very rigorous. Kids can get burnt out. With that being said would we do it again, YES!! But we won't continue onto IB in HS. I would rather he choose AP or honors vs be required to take in all courses.
Some kids are academically motivated at a young age. My son just hasn't been. It's taking him longer and being a single mom, it's been hard on our relationship. But it's been an amazing experience as well. I LOVE his school. And he will be better off in the long run having had done IB GRADES 6-8.
Good luck. Only you know your child's motivation, maturity, intelligence level and readiness for an IB program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
 
258 posts, read 326,792 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I have to believe the kids who "like" doing that are perhpas influenced by parents or peers.
I enjoyed pushing myself and was definitely not influenced by my parents or peers. For me, I was competitive and enjoyed being first. I wanted the best grades, to win the science fairs, etc. This competitive drive kind of faded once I got to MIT...but hey, it was MIT. I wouldn't discount young individuals who have a drive to succeed early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top