U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM

22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Who won the year previous is unknown to me.
Dallas Mavericks over the Heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM

734 posts, read 1,775,869 times
I agree with what everyone has said, all good points. There has just been a perfect storm of factors that have led to the hawks current financial state. I will add with this new CBA which is very owner friendly, the hawks value, if management just keeps coasting along will rise because of the new revenue sharing, which will be fully implemented next season, and then they will be back in the black.

NBA Franchise Values Soar Under New CBA

How new NBA deal compares to last one - ESPN

One thing that could help this franchise, besides going deep in the playoffs would be to improve upon the in-game entertainment and overall fan experience. Teams are competing with an ever growing fan-base that would rather stay at home and watch games from their comfortable couch on their nice high def television, eating less expensive food, with no line for the bathroom or parking fees. Look around the league and see what's working for other teams and try to implement that at philips and you might be able to pry some people from their couch.

Few suggestions:

Make post game concerts a regular thing, instead of once every blue moon, maybe every fri. or sat. night - great way to feature up and coming local talent

Hawks win and score over 100 pts. free tacos for everyone or something similar

Have some dancing troupe of "older" citizens.

Make sure Harry the Hawk visits EVERY section of the arena before the game ends.

Better videos, have the players make a funny skit, I don't want to hear about their latest trip to Lenox.

Maybe dim the lights, so everyone's attention is on the court.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM

7,707 posts, read 9,552,968 times
What if they somehow made the Philips Arena/GA Dome/CNN part of downtown an enjoyable place to come before the game and stay after?

Kind of like what L.A. did with LA Live by Staples. It may be cheesy and touristy, but it provides people with a reason to come down there. Having to walk to a restaurant or have a Wendy's burger in the CNN Center before a game isn't really that great of an experience, and there's nothing to do but go home when the game is over. What if they made some kind of small entertainment district along the lines of LA Live? Could that help?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,529,288 times
Damn, with ATL losing an NHL franchise, these low valuations of the Falcons and Hawks worry me. If these two franchises decide to relocate to some other city, I may have to move out of Atlanta as well..maybe to a sports rich city like Dallas

Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM

7,707 posts, read 9,552,968 times
The Braves are not happy with Turner Field, either. But it seems for the moment, they are stuck there. You never know what the future will bring, though.

Watching the Falcons stadium debate, the Braves pursue something different | Political Insider

Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,358,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
What doesn't help the Hawks is that they are at a point where they are basically stuck in the middle. They have the talent to consistently make the postseason, but they don't have enough to get past the big boys in the East at this time.

This is also another situation where transplants hurt the local brand. Unfortunately, Philips Arena becomes Staples Center East, Madison Square Garden South, United Center South, or American Airlines Arena North when the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, and Heat come to town. When you combine the transplants with the local fans that also root for those teams, the Hawks fans end up being either outnumbered or drowned out by those cheering for the visiting team. They even go as far as having the visiting team's merchandise available in Philips Arena when some of these teams come. There is no way in hell that you could go to any of these other arenas and get the visiting team's gear regardless of who is in town.

I'm not sure what the marketing strategy is for the team, but it obviously isn't working. It seems like they have tried all kinds of stuff (halftime concerts, ticket deals, etc.), but gimmicks and one-offs will not make some people come back on a regular basis. The Hawks are actually a pretty good team with some scrappy players, so a basketball fan should have a good experience at a game even if they aren't necessarily a Hawks fan.
That's a very interesting point. I recall this phenomenon when we lived in Memphis. When the Lakers were in town, Grizzly tickets were hot items! I'm surprised that the team remains in Memphis. I'm happy for Memphis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dallas Mavericks over the Heat.
I appreciate the info. I looked it up after I posed the question. Indeed, Dallas is the biggest surprise. Perhaps San Antonio having FOUR championships since 98 is even bigger than Dallas winning one.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The Braves are not happy with Turner Field, either. But it seems for the moment, they are stuck there. You never know what the future will bring, though.

Watching the Falcons stadium debate, the Braves pursue something different | Political Insider
Love the idea of a P3 project to redevelop the sea of parking lots into a neighborhood. That's the #1 thing holding back the area. The skyline views from Turner are great bring games. Sports is meant to be in an urban setting and developing this plan, along with a streetcar line from Downtown to the stadium will be a great idea.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM

842 posts, read 1,107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The Braves need to stay in that area. I can understand that some improvements will need to be made to both the stadium and the surrounding area, but it is in a good spot in my opinion. The proposed projects could brighten up the place if they ever come to fruition.

Although I am a former Cobb resident and a current Gwinnett resident, I still don't think that moving either the Braves or Falcons to the 'burbs is actually a good move. Although some people may end up feeling "safer" going to a game, you are bound to lose some fans as well as some stadium workers.

What's funny is that some people want Atlanta to be viewed as an international city, yet they also want to move some things as far out of the city as possible. I think that some people forget that by focusing mainly on the fans that drive in from the suburbs, park in the Lexus Lot, and sit in the 755 Club you are forgetting the fans that take the shuttle from Five Points and sit in the cheap seats. Moves have to be made to at least try to satisfy fans across the spectrum.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Although I am a former Cobb resident and a current Gwinnett resident, I still don't think that moving either the Braves or Falcons to the 'burbs is actually a good move. Although some people may end up feeling "safer" going to a game, you are bound to lose some fans as well as some stadium workers.
Is it people's perception of Downtown because I have never seen anything unsafe in parking lots around Turner? I walk to and from GA State station for the games, still nothing. The most dangerous thing is drunk drivers leaving the game!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM

842 posts, read 1,107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Is it people's perception of Downtown because I have never seen anything unsafe in parking lots around Turner? I walk to and from GA State station for the games, still nothing. The most dangerous thing is drunk drivers leaving the game!
I think a lot of it is perception. Don't get me wrong, there are some not-so-nice areas around Turner Field. However, if you park at one of the main lots by the stadium you don't have any issues. I've been going to games at the Ted for years and have never been approached by a panhandler or feared for my safety. You typically end up seeing and walking with other fans both to and from your vehicle, especially if you stay the entire game.

Now if you call yourself trying to save a buck and end up parking further down Hank Aaron or Abernathy, then you may just get what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta