U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 AM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of the thread on the Falcons having a low value. Is it mainly about not winning?

Forbes: Hawks nearly least valuable NBA squad - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 AM

7,690 posts, read 9,532,497 times
I don't know anything about sports.

But winning would probably help. Though come to think of it, losing doesn't seem to hurt the Cubs.

Maybe what the Hawks need is a player with some kind of personality. I know you can't just wish for a Michael Jordan or anything, but maybe more like a Dennis Rodman. Some kind of character that brings a spark to the franchise? I don't know.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,355,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know anything about sports.

But winning would probably help. Though come to think of it, losing doesn't seem to hurt the Cubs.

Maybe what the Hawks need is a player with some kind of personality. I know you can't just wish for a Michael Jordan or anything, but maybe more like a Dennis Rodman. Some kind of character that brings a spark to the franchise? I don't know.
I understand your point here. However, Cubs baseball is an entire event. It's summertime. It's riding a crowded train to the Wrigley Field. A bad experience in the summer! It's an all day and night event for those who live in Wrigleyville. It's Wrigley Field. It's drinking beer. It's summertime.

To tell you the last time I watched a basketball game, The Hawks roster consisted of Mookie Blaylock, Mutombo, Steve Smith, and others, whom I could recall with a little jarring. You get the picture. Those were the golden years of basketball!

That said, I probably know less about sports than you do.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,376,829 times
Sucks for Atlanta.

But damn happy for their scumbag ownership group.

I hope their value continues to plummet.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
The Hawks may be towards the bottom, but they still make the post-season. There are other teams, worth more, that still don't make the playoffs. Why do we as Americans, put so much value on monetary worth? Shouldn't making the playoffs count more? Also, Philips Arena is one of the best venues.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM

842 posts, read 1,106,158 times
What doesn't help the Hawks is that they are at a point where they are basically stuck in the middle. They have the talent to consistently make the postseason, but they don't have enough to get past the big boys in the East at this time.

This is also another situation where transplants hurt the local brand. Unfortunately, Philips Arena becomes Staples Center East, Madison Square Garden South, United Center South, or American Airlines Arena North when the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, and Heat come to town. When you combine the transplants with the local fans that also root for those teams, the Hawks fans end up being either outnumbered or drowned out by those cheering for the visiting team. They even go as far as having the visiting team's merchandise available in Philips Arena when some of these teams come. There is no way in hell that you could go to any of these other arenas and get the visiting team's gear regardless of who is in town.

I'm not sure what the marketing strategy is for the team, but it obviously isn't working. It seems like they have tried all kinds of stuff (halftime concerts, ticket deals, etc.), but gimmicks and one-offs will not make some people come back on a regular basis. The Hawks are actually a pretty good team with some scrappy players, so a basketball fan should have a good experience at a game even if they aren't necessarily a Hawks fan.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

842 posts, read 1,106,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Hawks may be towards the bottom, but they still make the post-season. There are other teams, worth more, that still don't make the playoffs. Why do we as Americans, put so much value on monetary worth? Shouldn't making the playoffs count more? Also, Philips Arena is one of the best venues.
Part of the issue is that it is easier to make it to the playoffs in the NBA than it is in the NFL or MLB. A team can have a not-so-great record and still slide in as an 8th seed (especially in the East). The Hawks have been a playoff team for the past few years, but I don't recall them ever being higher than a 4th seed in the current era. Conversely, making the playoffs in the NFL is tougher since there are years where you can be 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. Likewise, in MLB a team can go from first place in their division to out of playoff contention in a matter of weeks.

I actually like Philips Arena and feel that it is in a good location. I've never had any major parking issues there and you can literally walk out of the MARTA station and be steps away from one of the entrances.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
I'm sure Charlotte would love to trade places with the Hawks.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
To tell you the last time I watched a basketball game, The Hawks roster consisted of Mookie Blaylock, Mutombo, Steve Smith, and others, whom I could recall with a little jarring.
Hate to admit it but the last time I watched the Hawks was when Dominique Wilkins was playing.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,355,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hate to admit it but the last time I watched the Hawks was when Dominique Wilkins was playing.
Definitely the glory years!

I began to really dislike basketball after Jordan left for good. What can I say? My team couldn't win without him. And the coup de gras that ended my love affair with watching the game was the Allen Iverson type. I apologize if I offend the younger folk. However, the attitudes, tattoos, especially on the neck, wearing street clothes on the sideline, etc. I'd had enough!

I only knew that the Heat won the championship last year because it seemed that every person from Miami congregated in one area to celebrate the victory at my place of work. Who won the year previous is unknown to me. I do recall The Pistons taking it several years ago, however. Before Jordan came to Chicago, a lot of us were Pistons fans because we supported Isiah. Hell, they were winning!

BTW, I was more of a Gerald Wilkins fans! Although I loved Nique!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta