U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM
 
472 posts, read 696,122 times
Reputation: 136

Advertisements

DISCLAIMER: Please keep this thread on topic. Name-calling can be taken to private messages.


Georgia Southern's Herty Advanced Materials Development Center takes University research to the next level

"In a move impacting the future of research and economic development in the state of Georgia for generations to come, Governor Nathan Deal signed legislation transferring managment of the Herty Advanced Materials Development Center in Savannah, Ga., to Georgia Southern University. This merger blends the unique large scale development and manufacturing capabilities of Herty and the scientific expertise of Georgia Southern faculty and students."

Georgia Southern University

GA Southern University also constructed a new 155,394 square ft $37 million biological sciences building, compared to KSU's $21 million, a while back. Classes started up this spring in the new building.
https://my.georgiasouthern.edu/index...ontent&id=1205

GA Southern has some ways to go, but maybe someday they can make the jump from regional university to research University. GA Southern now have two alumni on the BOR. I'm hoping GRU and GA Southern can spur more development in south Georgia.

For comparison of other UGS schools, below is a breakdown from the USG's newly released dataset. I've arranged them by SAT, since GPA can vary due to honors/AP courses, feeder schools and grade inflation.

2012 average SAT score and GPA:

Georgia Tech: 1365 3.76
University of Georgia: 1238 3.76
Georgia College and State U: 1160 3.42
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1141 3.28
North Georgia College and State U: 1117 3.51
Georgia Southern U: 1115 3.18
4-year university average: 1110 3.12
Kennesaw State U: 1089 3.20
Georgia State U: 1082 3.33
Armstrong Atlantic State U: 1016 3.16
Valdosta State U: 1015 3.12

2011 average SAT score and GPA:

Georgia Tech: 1354 3.76
University of Georgia: 1221 3.71
Georgia College and State U: 1155 3.40
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1131 3.27
North Georgia College & State U: 1113 3.50
Georgia Southern U: 1112 3.18
4-year USG average SAT score: 1096 3.08
Georgia State: 1095 3.38
Kennesaw State: 1079 3.21
Armstrong Atlantic State U: 1025 3.17
Valdosta State: 997 3.07

2012 GPAs :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...GPA_fall12.pdf

2011 GPAs:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...GPA_fall11.pdf

2012 SAT scores:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...l_2012_ser.pdf

2011 SAT scores:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...l_2011_ser.pdf
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
 
Location: 30461
2,136 posts, read 1,367,954 times
Reputation: 578
Shouldn't this thread be in the Savannah section or the main Georgia section? Why is it in the Atlanta section?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
 
Location: I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta
1,317 posts, read 1,592,289 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
DISCLAIMER: Please keep this thread on topic. Name-calling can be taken to private messages.


Georgia Southern's Herty Advanced Materials Development Center takes University research to the next level

"In a move impacting the future of research and economic development in the state of Georgia for generations to come, Governor Nathan Deal signed legislation transferring managment of the Herty Advanced Materials Development Center in Savannah, Ga., to Georgia Southern University. This merger blends the unique large scale development and manufacturing capabilities of Herty and the scientific expertise of Georgia Southern faculty and students."

Georgia Southern University

GA Southern University also constructed a new 155,394 square ft $37 million biological sciences building, compared to KSU's $21 million, a while back. Classes started up this spring in the new building.
https://my.georgiasouthern.edu/index...ontent&id=1205

GA Southern has some ways to go, but maybe someday they can make the jump from regional university to research University. GA Southern now have two alumni on the BOR. I'm hoping GRU and GA Southern can spur more development in south Georgia.

For comparison of other UGS schools, below is a breakdown from the USG's newly released dataset. I've arranged them by SAT, since GPA can vary due to honors/AP courses, feeder schools and grade inflation.

2012 average SAT score and GPA:

Georgia Tech: 1365 3.76
University of Georgia: 1238 3.76
Georgia College and State U: 1160 3.42
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1141 3.28
North Georgia College and State U: 1117 3.51
Georgia Southern U: 1115 3.18
4-year university average: 1110 3.12
Kennesaw State U: 1089 3.20
Georgia State U: 1082 3.33
Armstrong Atlantic State U: 1016 3.16
Valdosta State U: 1015 3.12

2011 average SAT score and GPA:

Georgia Tech: 1354 3.76
University of Georgia: 1221 3.71
Georgia College and State U: 1155 3.40
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1131 3.27
North Georgia College & State U: 1113 3.50
Georgia Southern U: 1112 3.18
4-year USG average SAT score: 1096 3.08
Georgia State: 1095 3.38
Kennesaw State: 1079 3.21
Armstrong Atlantic State U: 1025 3.17
Valdosta State: 997 3.07

2012 GPAs :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...GPA_fall12.pdf

2011 GPAs:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...GPA_fall11.pdf

2012 SAT scores:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...l_2012_ser.pdf

2011 SAT scores:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...l_2011_ser.pdf
Georgia has no need for a fifth research university. The current four cover practically all areas of study. If the case is made for Georgia Southern than what about Kennesaw State.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
 
472 posts, read 696,122 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Georgia has no need for a fifth research university. The current four cover practically all areas of study. If the case is made for Georgia Southern than what about Kennesaw State.
That may be true, but that doesn't mean we can't have more research universities. Our neighbors in Florida have many research universities. Not all research universities operate on the same level. Essentially, if we see all of our research universities skiddle up the ranks, we will have room for one more to fill it's place. Similarly, we are seeing a population boom. It's possible that may give us a chance to create a new research U. GA Southern may not become a "research university" at all. They may simply start doing more research and scholarly work. Really, I think BOR will start heavily focusing on GRU.

KSU is another candidate. KSU has made great strides, but they would still need to jump to regional universities before making the jump to research universities. They're still behind GA Southern in terms of student body and academic atmosphere. I think they will though, very soon, jump to regional status. Very likely when GA Southern jumps to research status! No doubt that KSU will continue to improve itself. The reason why I think GA Southern might have a better chance is because of their alumni, two sit on the BOR.

I'm talking maybe 10 years down the road GA Southern may consider research university status, certainly not anytime soon. Their current endowment and expenditure is quite low.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ry_17_2012.pdf

We should see this more as an opportunity for GA Southern to grow and develop rather than competing with other schools. We need stuff like this to happen to bring more jobs to Georgia. My KSU-GSU thread painted a bad picture. A valid and concerning picture, I think, but still we got the wrong idea from the whole discussion. After all the GSU ranting, I'd rather not start on that exhausting topic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 11:40 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,077,538 times
Reputation: 995
Well, It's been 5 years, I'd say KSU is at regional university status. But I don't see Georgia Southern bursting forth to be a research university.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,028,023 times
Reputation: 2745
I recently found out my alma mater is now part of Southern. Hurray

I'm tired of all this consolidation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM
bu2
 
18,508 posts, read 9,011,899 times
Reputation: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Well, It's been 5 years, I'd say KSU is at regional university status. But I don't see Georgia Southern bursting forth to be a research university.
They should be. Georgia, Tech, Georgia St. and Augusta St. are all in the northern part of the state.

South Georgia gets the roads. North Georgia gets the colleges.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 PM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,077,538 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They should be. Georgia, Tech, Georgia St. and Augusta St. are all in the northern part of the state.

South Georgia gets the roads. North Georgia gets the colleges.
If their main campus was in Savannah, I'd say...maybe. But putting a research university in Statesboro?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM
bu2
 
18,508 posts, read 9,011,899 times
Reputation: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
If their main campus was in Savannah, I'd say...maybe. But putting a research university in Statesboro?
College Station, TX? Gainesville, FL? Bloomington, IN? Charlottesville, VA?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 PM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,077,538 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
College Station, TX? Gainesville, FL? Bloomington, IN? Charlottesville, VA?
If it were done a long time ago, and the school had a huge amount of money...maybe. I really think making Georgia Southern a research university now would be a waste of money.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top