U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM

9,916 posts, read 6,906,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“You feel more in it, not just a faceless guy in a car,” said Duncan, 29, an IT consultant.

According to a region-wide poll conducted for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, MARTA riders have a stronger connection than nonriders to metro Atlanta. More than that, the poll found that MARTA riders had a stronger connection to their individual neighborhood and the county where they live.
Poll: MARTA riders have stronger connection than nonriders to... | www.ajc.com

Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 18,176 times
Quote:
Shawn Poole, 42, of Canton, said he has virtually no connection to metro Atlanta. He does not see his area as being part of metro Atlanta. Born and raised Cobb County, he’s ridden MARTA twice in his life.
MARTA, he says, is simply inconvenient for him to get to. Beyond that, Atlanta “has gone downhill. They haven’t taken care of the traffic problem.”
Lol, well duh. You live in Canton what do you expect?

Last edited by Peachmancan; 01-25-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Quote:
“There’s too many incidents at the train stops and the bus stops of people getting harassed and asked for money,” said Michael Shields, 64, of Kennesaw. He worries that these incidents can quickly escalate into violent confrontations.
I love that they put this comment from someone who doesn't regularly ride MARTA. My wife and ridden it almost everyday for 3 years, all times of the day and have never has incidents or felt unsafe. Atlanta doesn't have a traffic problem, its the whole metro area! Since he lives in Kennesaw, I bet he has a concealed weapon?
The stronger connection has a lot to do with being able to pay attention to people, places, and things outside of the windows because we are not having to concentrate on driving. It allows the user to make mental notes of places to visit and know exactly how to get there.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM

9,916 posts, read 6,906,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachmancan View Post
Lol, we duh. You live in Canton what do you expect?
Yea, My experience has been those that live in the suburbs are the ones that complain about the traffic. By living in the city, I rarely see it. I have not had a commute over 20 mins in years. I don't think many people realize that. I dread going to the suburbs any time around rush hour. It takes hours out of your life. I don't know how people do that every day.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yea, My experience has been those that live in the suburbs are the ones that complain about the traffic. By living in the city, I rarely see it. I have not had a commute over 20 mins in years. I don't think many people realize that. I dread going to the suburbs any time around rush hour. It takes hours out of your life. I don't know how people do that every day.
It's just funny he doesn't realize this and thinks his understanding or viewpoint is valid. Like his whole world is Cobb.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 21,316 times
Quote:
Lol, well duh. You live in Canton what do you expect?
Harsh. I live on the Canton/Milton border and take MARTA from North Springs at least three times a week to work/grad school downtown.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,906,946 times
Quote:
It's just funny he doesn't realize this and thinks his understanding or viewpoint is valid. Like his whole world is Cobb.
What is interesting, to me, is that the center of Canton is 37 miles from my house in Mableton, which itself is 4 miles OTP. Canton is in the center of Cherokee County. No *wonder* he doesn't feel connected to Atlanta. He lives 35-40 miles away! And yet we're both considered "OTP" residents.

I don't go into the city that often, mainly to eat someplace, but it's always right across the river from us if we want to go there. For us, Atlanta is right next door. For him, it's a half hour away even assuming zero traffic.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM

842 posts, read 1,106,869 times
Quote:
To add to that, if he is 42 then he also grew up mostly in the era where Atlanta really was considered to be "dangerous" and "far away" to a lot of people in Cobb. Notice how he moved to Cherokee rather than either staying in Cobb or going ITP.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

I hope he at least realizes that without Atlanta where he lives probably would not be all that desirable. The devide in this metro is silly.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I love that they put this comment from someone who doesn't regularly ride MARTA. My wife and ridden it almost everyday for 3 years, all times of the day and have never has incidents or felt unsafe. Atlanta doesn't have a traffic problem, its the whole metro area!
I thought the same thing when I read that comment. It's ridiculous how people say MARTA is a cesspool full of criminals, but they haven't actually taken it - they have an opinion, but it's not an informed one. While my wife and I don't ride MARTA as regularly as you, we do use it at least once a week, especially for events in downtown or midtown - or to get to work if it's raining (I bike commute). Sometimes with a few people it will cost the same as parking, but I'd much rather pay for MARTA than pay to put my car in a lot. On buses and the trains, we've never felt unsafe, or seen anything bad happen. And if he would actually get on MARTA, he'd see it's not just poor people, but rather a mix of people from working class to white collar. Comments like that get me so worked up!

And also, living in the city, I rarely end up in traffic. Like others have said, though, I dread needing to go anywhere OTP during rush hour. I really couldn't imagine sitting in that everyday, and then see the train fly right by me (on 400 at least), and still think it's a good idea to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or