Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 AM

7 posts, read 10,542 times

Advertisements

Wondering where I can find some laws relating to child custody and division of property among unmarried couples in GA. Are there also any laws regarding affairs/cheating? My long time bf and I have decided to split and we've got 2 kids together. we purchased vehicles together (when it comes to the important items) and also misc, petty belongings of course. He has it in my head that I won't get custody or have no rights as I don't currently work, haven't worked in a while. Me, it's not all about the job/money-kids need time invested in order to further their emotional health and have opportunity to build/maintain relationships, and that i definitely can do. I get that you have to be able to financially support your children (that's why there are organizations and systems set up to help) but will not having a job increase your chances of not obtaining custody? He says he would not take "my kids" away from me because he knows I'm a good mom (and he doesn't "have time" according to him)

Sorry to ramble but there is a lot going on as you may notice, big decisions to make and unfortunately I don't have the money for an attorney to talk this over with, dont know when i will have the money for one...which is why I need to know this information.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
I recommend calling a family law firm and asking for a free consultation. Usually they will provide one by telephone and you can ask all of your questions.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
The moderator will likely jump in and let you know that we cannot provide legal advice on these forums

Don't let him get in your head - that is exactly what he is trying to do. My understanding is the same as yours in that financial support alone is never a reason for a parent to lose custody.

Check out Georgia Legal Aid - there is a divorce section. Here is the link but the site indicated for me it was under maintenance

www.georgialegalaid.org

I have had a couple of friends that looked into divorces where there was affairs. Based on their experiences that made a difference in money (they were the bread winners not the husband) not sure about custody

Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The moderator will likely jump in and let you know that we cannot provide legal advice on these forums
Bingo.

Sorry - but essentially legal advice is being asked for here (or will be given by others) and it's a can of worms not allowed. But a legal advice link was provided to you by the poster above which should help you find more information you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta