U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

4,947 posts, read 3,992,436 times

Advertisements

One of three things may happen:

1. The stadium will be built downtown, presumably in the Gulch. But if so, I really don't see how they're going to put it there. The new stadium will probably be much larger than the Dome, and if so, it's going to take a lot of work to get it in--demolishing the MLK Drive bridge, building on top of all the railroad tracks (which will increase costs), and maybe even taking out the parking deck. IDK--I'm just not seeing it.

2. There has been some speculation that if the state changes its mind and doesn't help publicly finance the stadium, Blank might use his own funds to move out to the suburbs. But where the heck is he going to find space for it? Cobb? North Fulton? Gwinnett? All three of those areas are mostly filled up. And the farther out he goes--for example, if it's way out in Cherokee County--folks at the other end of the metro are going to have a hard time getting there. Speaking of which, what about infrastructure? Hall, Cherokee, Forsyth, etc. counties will struggle to handle 70,000+ fans every other week. Not only do you need roads; you need a LOT of parking space and hotels that can fill up year-round, not just on game day. That is the major advantage of having the Dome downtown, and let's not forget about the TWO MARTA stops as well.

3. Blank could move the team. This I don't see too terribly likely, but I'm afraid it can't be ruled out. Football is a business, after all, and some cities are hungry for a team to support. And let's face it, this is a college football town; pro sports, with the possible exception of the Braves, are a very distant second.

BTW, the Doraville site is not going to happen. The city said not just no, but hell no, to the idea.

Well...all these possibilities miss what I think could be a much simpler solution for the new stadium. Do what Seattle and Chicago did, and what Minneapolis is about to do: Build the new stadium right on top of where the old one used to be, and use a nearby college stadium as a temporary home. There is NOTHING physically in the way of significantly increasing the size of the Dome except for parking lots and a small church. So why not build it there? That way, the infrastructure is already in place. As for the temporary home, the obvious choice would be Bobby Dodd Stadium. Sanford Stadium could work, but it would be risky having even a temporary home two hours away and with a much larger capacity. By contrast, Bobby Dodd Stadium is right here in town and has a decent, but not cavernous, capacity. And smaller events, such as Georgia State football, could temporarily (or perhaps permanently) move to Morris Brown College's stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

28,132 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Cobb is throwing its hat in the ring.

First Slice 1/28/13: State lawmaker says she'd love to see Falcons stadium in Cobb County | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,036,623 times
A lot of the Falcons fan base is on the south side. I don't think a north side stadium would fly well with them.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Atlanta and Reed will do everything to keep the Falcons downtown. I think the Gulch idea is the best, but let's not forget that the Dome is already suspended above roads, railroads, and MARTA lines. Downtown has the infrastructure to handle a stadium and the tens of thousands of people that go with it. There are existing restaurants and bars around the GWCC campus to handle the people. 2 MARTA stops with a short walk to 2 more.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Architect finalists for new Falcons stadium named

The Atlanta Falcons want a new, $1 billion stadium.

Atlanta Business ChronicleAs discussion heats up about how to fund a new $1 billion stadium for the Atlanta Falcons, works continues to select a lead architect.

Five architecture firms were announced Monday as finalists on the Georgia Procurement Registry:

360 Architects
Ewing-Cole
HKS Inc.
Populous + Shop
Tvsdesign/Heery/Gensler
Ten firms had responded to a request for qualifications late last year.

“Each finalist will now prepare a Design Services Proposal and formal presentation that will include the first conceptual designs for the project,” the Georgia World Congress Center Authority said in a statement. “Interviews will be scheduled in the next 30 days.”

A decision on a lead architect could come in February. “However, the schedule for the remaining process is still to be determined,” Richard Sawyer, project procurement director, said in an email.

Design fees could command 6 percent to 11 percent of the approximately $700 million construction budget, Sawyer said in an earlier interview.

The new stadium could be up to 1.8 million square feet, with seating for up to 80,000 fans. It would be built to meet the standards of the NFL, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Major League Soccer and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).

Of the finalists, Kansas City, Mo.-based sports and entertainment architecture firm Populous has one of the largest stadium portfolios on the list. Populous already has been involved with the new Falcons project, conducting feasibility studies since 2010.

Populous has been the architect on about a dozen new NFL stadiums and renovations. Among those are Heinz Field, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers; FedEx Field, home of the Washington Redskins; and Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots.

Populous also designed a replacement for Wembley Stadium, one of the most famous sporting and entertainment venues in Britain. It also worked on the Olympic Stadium for the London 2012 Games, as well as Atlanta’s Philips Arena.

Another candidate is HKS Sports & Entertainment Group, a Dallas-based firm with a large office in Atlanta.

HKS has designed two of the most recent NFL stadiums: Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts, and Cowboys Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys. Both feature retractable roofs — a key design element of the proposed new Falcons stadium.

HKS also recently was selected to design the new home of the Minnesota Vikings.

Another contender is Atlanta-based tvsdesign, which has teamed up with Atlanta-based Heery International Inc. and global firm Gensler to bid on the project.

Among its portfolio, tvs designed the Georgia World Congress Center and the Music City Convention Center in Nashville, Tenn.

In joint ventures with others, Heery was the architect on the Georgia Dome, as well as Turner Field. It’s also worked on several collegiate facilities, including the softball stadium at The University of Georgia.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Well...all these possibilities miss what I think could be a much simpler solution for the new stadium. Do what Seattle and Chicago did, and what Minneapolis is about to do: Build the new stadium right on top of where the old one used to be, and use a nearby college stadium as a temporary home. There is NOTHING physically in the way of significantly increasing the size of the Dome except for parking lots and a small church. So why not build it there? That way, the infrastructure is already in place. As for the temporary home, the obvious choice would be Bobby Dodd Stadium. Sanford Stadium could work, but it would be risky having even a temporary home two hours away and with a much larger capacity. By contrast, Bobby Dodd Stadium is right here in town and has a decent, but not cavernous, capacity. And smaller events, such as Georgia State football, could temporarily (or perhaps permanently) move to Morris Brown College's stadium.
I don't think they could move all of the events that take place at the dome to a smaller, open air stadium. On occasion, there are some very large conferences held at the dome because it is the only venue large enough to accommodate them, which would not be possible in an open air stadium. I doubt the city would want to lose that kind of business.

I'm very much hoping the new stadium is built on the south site, which has better access to transit. I think I saw that the north site puts it decently far from the nearest marta station. Moving it to the suburbs is not an option in my opinion, unless the republicans/tea party in those counties decided that in this case, it is ok to "waste" a huge amount of money on infrastructure upgrades, or *gasp*, a connection to marta. If the falcons do end up making that decision though, I hope the state/city would let the dome remain so that it continues to bring conferences and other sporting events to the city. Those greatly help our economy, and it would be very unfortunate to lose that. I can't imagine suburban counties being able to draw those other large events. Like you said, they just don't have the hotel capacity, or entertainment for before and after a game.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,076 times
As long as it doesn't increase traffic any (i.e. built near transit) and doesn't use one single cent of public money, I couldn't care less where they stick this thing, or what its design is.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,073,877 times
Thats the plan as I understand it, in fact its been made very clear that the dome cannot support itself without the falcons and all these events would move to the new stadium and I assume the dome would eventually be demolished.

The state can't really say no because then you have payments on a dome with nothing to support it.

BTW the state kicks in no money in the deal, all local hotel taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I don't think they could move all of the events that take place at the dome to a smaller, open air stadium. On occasion, there are some very large conferences held at the dome because it is the only venue large enough to accommodate them, which would not be possible in an open air stadium. I doubt the city would want to lose that kind of business.

I'm very much hoping the new stadium is built on the south site, which has better access to transit. I think I saw that the north site puts it decently far from the nearest marta station. Moving it to the suburbs is not an option in my opinion, unless the republicans/tea party in those counties decided that in this case, it is ok to "waste" a huge amount of money on infrastructure upgrades, or *gasp*, a connection to marta. If the falcons do end up making that decision though, I hope the state/city would let the dome remain so that it continues to bring conferences and other sporting events to the city. Those greatly help our economy, and it would be very unfortunate to lose that. I can't imagine suburban counties being able to draw those other large events. Like you said, they just don't have the hotel capacity, or entertainment for before and after a game.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Architect finalists for new Falcons stadium named

The Atlanta Falcons want a new, $1 billion stadium.

Atlanta Business ChronicleAs discussion heats up about how to fund a new $1 billion stadium for the Atlanta Falcons, works continues to select a lead architect.

Five architecture firms were announced Monday as finalists on the Georgia Procurement Registry:

360 Architects
Ewing-Cole
HKS Inc.
Populous + Shop
Tvsdesign/Heery/Gensler
Ten firms had responded to a request for qualifications late last year.

“Each finalist will now prepare a Design Services Proposal and formal presentation that will include the first conceptual designs for the project,” the Georgia World Congress Center Authority said in a statement. “Interviews will be scheduled in the next 30 days.”

A decision on a lead architect could come in February. “However, the schedule for the remaining process is still to be determined,” Richard Sawyer, project procurement director, said in an email.

Design fees could command 6 percent to 11 percent of the approximately $700 million construction budget, Sawyer said in an earlier interview.

The new stadium could be up to 1.8 million square feet, with seating for up to 80,000 fans. It would be built to meet the standards of the NFL, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Major League Soccer and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).

Of the finalists, Kansas City, Mo.-based sports and entertainment architecture firm Populous has one of the largest stadium portfolios on the list. Populous already has been involved with the new Falcons project, conducting feasibility studies since 2010.

Populous has been the architect on about a dozen new NFL stadiums and renovations. Among those are Heinz Field, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers; FedEx Field, home of the Washington Redskins; and Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots.

Populous also designed a replacement for Wembley Stadium, one of the most famous sporting and entertainment venues in Britain. It also worked on the Olympic Stadium for the London 2012 Games, as well as Atlanta’s Philips Arena.

Another candidate is HKS Sports & Entertainment Group, a Dallas-based firm with a large office in Atlanta.

HKS has designed two of the most recent NFL stadiums: Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts, and Cowboys Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys. Both feature retractable roofs — a key design element of the proposed new Falcons stadium.

HKS also recently was selected to design the new home of the Minnesota Vikings.

Another contender is Atlanta-based tvsdesign, which has teamed up with Atlanta-based Heery International Inc. and global firm Gensler to bid on the project.

Among its portfolio, tvs designed the Georgia World Congress Center and the Music City Convention Center in Nashville, Tenn.

In joint ventures with others, Heery was the architect on the Georgia Dome, as well as Turner Field. It’s also worked on several collegiate facilities, including the softball stadium at The University of Georgia.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,654,586 times
I bet they will go with Populous. They have been working with them and they have the experience. I'll have to check out their other stadium builds but I sure hope they don't build anything like the one in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta