U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

Well this is the issue I am having with the family. I have told them by sending the two younger note (age 2-3) is telling the older girls that the black school it wrong or bad in some way and say to them that they might be bad in some way too. The school they attend now is Renaissance as have high scores compared to other south Fulton schools. I am perfectly fine with there school and feel no issue with the other kids attending.
I grew up in NY where everyone is a different race in just one block. I never had a issue. LovelySummer had perfect points which I was hoping someone would make so I can show him it isn't just me who see splitting them as a screwed up system. I am positive if it was a all white school his parents wouldn't be pushing this issue. I never once even worried about it prior since I planned on entering our three year old in the new prek they have at the girls school.
I can understand having a sense of community with other kids who remesembe them but then it draws into if we move the other girls will be the odd one out. I told him i refuse to move to a district unless it has more diversity. So I will def. look at Tyrone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,977,616 times
I think your mother's intuition about how to *collectively* handle all of your children is right. This is a delicate situation so good luck. I would put my children first and consider in-law contributions in thought as you and your husband find appropriate. If you are going to move, Fayetteville is also in the area and may provide a good mix of lall races so you may want to check those schools also. I would look at the classroom compositions and not just the numbers (on a website, for example) bc the numbers could be outdated. Perhaps there will be some area schools with good mixes.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM

13,106 posts, read 15,911,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensekhmet View Post
Well this is the issue I am having with the family. I have told them by sending the two younger note (age 2-3) is telling the older girls that the black school it wrong or bad in some way and say to them that they might be bad in some way too. The school they attend now is Renaissance as have high scores compared to other south Fulton schools. I am perfectly fine with there school and feel no issue with the other kids attending.
I grew up in NY where everyone is a different race in just one block. I never had a issue. LovelySummer had perfect points which I was hoping someone would make so I can show him it isn't just me who see splitting them as a screwed up system. I am positive if it was a all white school his parents wouldn't be pushing this issue. I never once even worried about it prior since I planned on entering our three year old in the new prek they have at the girls school.
I can understand having a sense of community with other kids who remesembe them but then it draws into if we move the other girls will be the odd one out. I told him i refuse to move to a district unless it has more diversity. So I will def. look at Tyrone.
I think you're making this more complicated than it is. For starters, both sets of kids are MIXED race right? I can't understand why anybody in this day and time would have a problem with that -- especially in Fayette County. Tyrone and Fayetteville are both diverse, far far more so than PTC. Fayetteville schools are about 10 percent "mixed race" according to the state DOE. You will not have any problems there and your kids will get an excellent education.

BOTTOM LINE: If you sincerely care about this issue, move to Fayette County (or even Coweta). Problem solved.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,639,295 times
I also think that you are overthinking this. Send your kids to the best school possible (search greatschools or some other site). My kids are half-Asian in a high acheiving school district. Race is not a problem for them.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

27 posts, read 30,606 times
If you are happy with the academics in the schools, one possibility is to send your children there, but look for other settings fro them to meet others who share their heritage. (Possibilities include diverse places of worship, sports leagues, etc.) If this is difficult, then another possibility is to move to a more diverse location. In Duluth, for example, there are high performing schools with large Asian, Black, White and Latino populations.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM

26 posts, read 30,692 times
This is a very interesting thread.....
I have three little ones, pre-school, Kinder, 1st grade...they are siblings but you would never know it by looking at them...their bio-mom was Blk/mxn...one is dark brown with tight curly hair(Blk father), one is very light skin curls with str8 hair(german/AmericanIndn father) and one is paper white with str8 sandy blonde hair(mxn father), should I send them each to different schools? Never, instead I will find a school that is very diverse and move there....Duluth here we come...
Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or