U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,410,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Is there a huge difference between salaries in dmv area and Atlanta, DC scares me because of the high COL.

I paid $920 for an extremely nice apartment in midtown atlanta, same unit would cost me 1500 in Pittsburgh and 2k in DC, I dont feel wages are much higher in the north.
Just pay off all the bills that you can and plan your move better next time. I wasn't able to move here when I wanted to but once I got a better game plan it made my move better the second time around. I would not visit here again until you move back to make it more exciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I know what you mean. I left in '93 and came back last June. I lived in 4 different locations and let me tell you, they all SUCKED in comparison with my beloved Atlanta. Sure, there are 12 local counties instead of 5 and there are about 4 million more people, but I love it all the same!
wow, that's almost 20 years. what had changed in atlanta by then?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM

97 posts, read 117,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I know what you mean. I left in '93 and came back last June. I lived in 4 different locations and let me tell you, they all SUCKED in comparison with my beloved Atlanta. Sure, there are 12 local counties instead of 5 and there are about 4 million more people, but I love it all the same!
Give me a break.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM

7,877 posts, read 12,908,513 times
Lived in Atlanta for most of '80-'08 and moved to Austin by choice. There are sure times I wish we were back in Sandy Springs; but I don't see us moving back any time soon. The locals out here lament the rapid growth; but they haven't seen anything like the ATL in the '80s and '90s .

There aren't many places(realistically) that I would choose over Atlanta; but Austin is in the running. I was 'exiled' to Greensboro, NC for a couple of years with work and I got back to Atlanta as fast as I could!

To those returning to Atlanta...congrats!!! May the commute gods be with you! It's twice as big as it 'needs' to be; but it's a great place(especially if you happen to be in the tennis business!).

Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM

7,877 posts, read 12,908,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wow, that's almost 20 years. what had changed in atlanta by then?
Wow...those were SOME years! Braves' run had just begun. Olympics were announced and then actually happened! Outer perimeter was built...NO...WAIT...that didn't happen! Lake Lanier ran out of water and then it refilled...'bout a half-dozen different state flags...tore down a baseball stadium, built a stadium...added more counties to the 'metro' than you could shake a stick at...on and on!

It would be interesting to hear what HeyEng considers the greatest changes...

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM

229 posts, read 384,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Wow...those were SOME years! Braves' run had just begun. Olympics were announced and then actually happened! Outer perimeter was built...NO...WAIT...that didn't happen! Lake Lanier ran out of water and then it refilled...'bout a half-dozen different state flags...tore down a baseball stadium, built a stadium...added more counties to the 'metro' than you could shake a stick at...on and on!

It would be interesting to hear what HeyEng considers the greatest changes...
Well, I'd love to comment on this and not the "give me a break" made by Germansomeusername. I am not even sure what that meant.

What has changed? Fulton County Stadium was still there, the Dome was BRAND NEW, The Weather Channel still did weather, I think the Omni was still around (I think). The train at the airport had a super cool robot voice and you could walk to the gates to see your friends off. There was no such thing as 675 and 985 and there were NO toll roads. Speaking of transportation, you could truly get ANYWHERE in the city in 30 minutes or less. Underground Atlanta was still a happening place. Hollowell Parkway was called Bankhead Highway and cops used to accompany the USPS to deliver the mail to Bankhead Courts. And yes, I could really go on and on.

Some of the positive changes I have seen is the improvement of the roads around Cobb County in particular. I know Atlanta traffic really sucks, but if the roads were the same as they were 20 years ago....just forget it. So many of the 2-lane roads are now wide, 4 lane roads that really flow nicely as long as it's not rush hour. I think considering the population boom of the mid-90's and on, they did a half way decent job of trying to keep up. I am sure most of you will disagree, but this is just what I see has happened in the last 20 years.

Worst change? The radio stations. I know technology has really changed the market, but Atlanta radio just really blows now.

Speaking of the outer perimeter...didn't they used to refer to that as the 'beltline'? I know that's not what it is now, but when the plan was being floated for an outer perimeter, I could have sworn that's what it was called. Could you imagine what it would be like if that had been built? The local ATL area would be 34 counties large!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or