Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,023,049 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's). Things important to us include:

-Access to travel
-Warmer climate (We currently live in a 4 seasons climate in Wa state)
-Jobs (Accounting and Insurance)
-Range of activities available.

Would prefer to live in the city but understand that both cities are more car towns. Seems to us that perhaps the job market is a bit better in Phoenix and the potential for real estate growth greater. The downside for Phoenix is the hot summers and air quality. Both cities seem to be within 6 hours or so of the beach by car.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times
On this one, I would take Atlanta over Phoenix.
If you can afford two houses, then go to Phoenix. One home in Phoenix and one in Flagstaff. Hotlanta maybe be toasty in July but in Phoenix
Yes, it's a dry heat. But then again, so is a Blow Torch

Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,851 times
Personally I'd pick Atlanta. Considering this is in the Atlanta thread you are probably going to hear a lot of that. If you posted in the Phoenix forum you would probably hear the opposite.

-Access to travel: Atlanta has the worlds 1st or 2nd busiest airport. Phoenix has a large one as well but it isn't quite as big so it won't offer as many options. This also depends on where you are traveling to. Atlanta is closer to the east coast and Europe, Phoenix is closer to the west coast, Asia and Australia.

-Climate: Phoenix is warmer then Atlanta but either is a warm climate and Arizona can be brutal in the summer. I checked averages on weather.com and the average temp June-August is above 100 degrees with a record high of 122 degrees.

-Jobs: Atlanta has a lot, I'm sure Phoenix does too.

-Stuff to do: I'm not really sure how these stack up on cultural amenities. Atlanta has a decent amount of stuff to do but not as much as a lot of the really large cities (such as NY, Chicago etc.). Atlanta's very close to the mountains and about 4 hours to the beach. Phoenix is about 6 to 7 hours to the beach.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Thanks for your response. What beach can you get to in four hours? Worthwhile?

One other factor was real estate appreciation which clearly seems to be higher in Phoenix, of course the prices tend to be higher too.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Thanks for your response. What beach can you get to in four hours? Worthwhile?

One other factor was real estate appreciation which clearly seems to be higher in Phoenix, of course the prices tend to be higher too.
Savannah Beach is about 4.5 hours away but not worth talking about (kinda dirty, really). Charleston, South Carolina is a beautiful city though, about 5 hours away, and Folly beach among others just outside of Charleston are all nice. Likewise, driving South 5 hours or so will get you to the Florida panhandle beaches.

Anyone who's read my posts will understand I no longer like living in Atlanta due to the fact that the air quality, traffic, and crime are horrible here now compared to not long ago. However, I've been to Phoenix and over that, I'd pick Atlanta. Phoenix probably has a slightly lower crime rate, but traffic and that heat and air quality there rival or beat ours... especially the heat.

Atlanta has the advantage of having a limited but somewhat useful subway system that goes right into the busy airport, mountains an hour to the north and the coast a few hours East or South, and while it has four distinct seasons, you don't have prolonged periods of "wet" like in the Northwest or snow like in the Northeast. You need to get used to the thunderstorm/tornado season in the Spring which can get irritating if you're not used to it, and if you're not conservative, the outlining areas may seem a bit "in your face" religious. Most take it in stride. Just don't make fun of grits or the rebel flag in the burbs, or act like scared white tourists intown.

If you're into "flipping" homes - taking older ones, renovating them, and reselling, then Atlanta isn't the market some other cities are. Home prices here are cheaper than most other large cities, and climbs more slowly too... in part due to the fact that unions are nonexistant here, and pay scales are much lower. Over time though, more and more Western and NE transplants are moving in causing things to go up, so eventually it'll catch up to everyone else. Right now it's a bit slow if you're selling a home, but if you're buying you can find a good deal. I live 22 miles West of town and a house on my street with 3BR, 2BA, a basement and bonus room on an acre of land is selling for $159,900... bad for the sellers, but it would easily cost twice that in many other cities so good for buyers moving here from one of those more expensive areas.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,085 times
Default I'm moving from Phoenix to Atlanta

I am being transfered to Atlanta in May. I am really going to miss Phoenix though. This is probably the best city I have been to in the US. I am in the military and have been all over the US. Don't let the heat scare you, yes, the summers can be brutal but almost all the homes out here have pools, and there are lots of lakes for escaping the heat. Phoenix is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in and except for June, July, and August, the weather is great! No mosquitoes!! Stay out by the pool and party all night long and don't get bit once. I have never lived in Atlanta, but I am looking forward to it. Everyone tells me it's a great city, and the homes are way cheaper that's for sure. I'm selling my 2002 2600sf house for 290,000, and am looking at buying a 3800sf home for 220,000. I would hate to be going the opposite direction. And buy the way, I bought this home for 185,000. My family is in the construction business and the homes here are very well built. I have heard that in Atlanta you don't need to be licensed to be a homebuilder. That's just asking for trouble and I am a little worried about the homes there. Both great cities, but if I could have stayed here, I would have. It's not one of the fastest growing cities for nothing. If you have any specific questions, send me an email and I'll be glad to answer them. And if there is anyone in Atlanta willing to do the same for me I would appreciate it.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:39 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,660,619 times
I'd go to Phoenix

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCJRICE View Post
My family is in the construction business and the homes here are very well built. I have heard that in Atlanta you don't need to be licensed to be a homebuilder. That's just asking for trouble and I am a little worried about the homes there.
Well, if you do wind up moving here, home inspectors are VERY recommended, because yes, building laws and licensing is very loose here compared to most other states. Some homes are built very poorly here - even high dollar homes. Not all builders here are sleezy though, some are very good, but I've seen some pretty shotty high-end homes as well. You definately want inspections by a certified and impartial person before signing on the dotted line.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,043 times
Arrow Atlanta or Phoenix

I myself am moving to Atlanta, but I grew up in Phoenix. I have no comment on Atlanta yet, but I will tell you about Phoenix. Phoenix is a huge sprawling city just like Atlanta. The traffic is probably a little better in place but a little worse in others. Phoenix does have a lot of sports and cultural activities and great concert venue options. People can't drive well there and either go really fast or really slow. Public transportation is patchy but the light rail is going to be completed soon. Phoenix has great outdoor hiking options and good parks although in the summer these are not really an option. The worst thing about Phoenix is the weather. Summer is no joke. I know Atlanta gets hot but Phoenix pretty much stays above 100 for several months. It also really doesn't cool off at all at night. The urban heat island effect is atrocious and it feels pretty much like a hair dryer all of the time. I can tell you this much I love Phoenix because I am from there but I ain't moving back.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Thank you for all the responses. We are visiting Atlanta next month to check things out. We would like to live in town (Midtown) and are looking forward to seeing everything. Does anyone have any must see things to check out. Does anyone have experience with MARTA, is it easy to get around on if you are in town (I understand its strictly for the city area) If we head to the beach for a few days which one would you recommend? Florida or Carolina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta