Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 13,904 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from the Clearwater, FL area to Atlanta soon (ASAP - job transfer). I read the sticky post so here is our scenario. I would love to hear any advice/recommendations.

Budget - Trying to stay around $1K/month with a hard cap at $1200 for a great place.

Housing type - Prefer a 3br/2ba single family home with a 2 car garage but would be ok with a townhouse and shared wall (no apt with people above/below) and 1 car garage. We don't have a lot of 'stuff' so size isn't as important as the br/ba and garage desire.

Employment - I will be working in Norcross and will commute often if not daily (M-F day shift with start/end time somewhat flexible).

Children - Newborn with a live in family member for daycare so only a safe area is important.

Prefer quiet suburbs - Public transit not important - Demographics not important however safety is very important

We have friends in the Villa Rica area and were trying to live somewhere between them and my job in Norcross. I spent the past 2 days looking around the NE Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta areas and couldn't find anything affordable that fit the 'Housing' above.

Giving up on being between work and friends, we looked at the Lawrenceville today and found a lot of places that fit our budget and housing type but I am concerned about the safety of the area. When I throw many of the addresses into SpotCrime.com I see a lot of activity.

Still looking and appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM

Bump (please help). These are listings I am looking at...

3/2.5/2 - 1100 - 265 Thornbush Lane, Lawrenceville GA - Trulia

4/3/2 - 1195 - 225 Sasnett Drive, Lawrenceville GA - Trulia

4/3/2 - 1095 - 195 Camden Park Drive, Lawrenceville GA - Trulia

3/2/2 - 950 - 662 Shoal Circle, Lawrenceville GA - Trulia

4/3/2 - 1200 - 880 Hillary Lane, Lawrenceville GA - Trulia

Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM

113 posts, read 342,170 times
I don't really have any advice/recommendations. I just saw your relocating up there from Clearwater. We are relocating to the Atlanta area from Bradenton, FL in June. My husband is from Dunedin though. We are also moving up there on a job transfer. Hope your move goes well! Good luck on finding the right area. We are looking into the Woodstock/Kennesaw area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robor007 View Post
My family is relocating from the Clearwater, FL area to Atlanta soon (ASAP - job transfer). I read the sticky post so here is our scenario. I would love to hear any advice/recommendations.

Budget - Trying to stay around $1K/month with a hard cap at $1200 for a great place.

Housing type - Prefer a 3br/2ba single family home with a 2 car garage but would be ok with a townhouse and shared wall (no apt with people above/below) and 1 car garage. We don't have a lot of 'stuff' so size isn't as important as the br/ba and garage desire.

Employment - I will be working in Norcross and will commute often if not daily (M-F day shift with start/end time somewhat flexible).

Children - Newborn with a live in family member for daycare so only a safe area is important.

Prefer quiet suburbs - Public transit not important - Demographics not important however safety is very important

We have friends in the Villa Rica area and were trying to live somewhere between them and my job in Norcross. I spent the past 2 days looking around the NE Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta areas and couldn't find anything affordable that fit the 'Housing' above.

Giving up on being between work and friends, we looked at the Lawrenceville today and found a lot of places that fit our budget and housing type but I am concerned about the safety of the area. When I throw many of the addresses into SpotCrime.com I see a lot of activity.

Still looking and appreciate any advice!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,805,881 times
You will discover after living here a short time that your commute to work is going to be a lot more important than some realize at first, once you experience the traffic on the upper end of the city after a few rush hours. It's good to have a flexible schedule, but it's important to note that we do not have a "rush hour" as smaller cities have - ours last several hours in the A.M., there's actually a lunch rush in some areas, and then of course the PM which again, lasts more than a couple of hours in the heavy spots. So you really don't want "half way" between your friends in Villa Rica and work - you want as close to work as possible since that is something you have to deal with everyday. Lawrenceville has some nice areas, but that does put you even further away from those friends than the areas I mentioned.

I would focus on the areas of John's Creek, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, Roswell, or in a stretch, just South of Alpharetta. You won't be avoiding traffic in these areas but they offer the better safety aspect with "reasonable" commutes to the Norcross area, and once you learn the back roads and have a good GPS (always recommended when moving here) then you should be able to navigate the commute fairly well. I can't say what your budget will get you in terms of housing rentals in those areas as they tend to be higher than some others, but there's a surplus of rentals in SOME areas, so deals are out there.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 19,075 times
You will have a nightmare commute trying to be between Villa Rica and Norcross. Commuting on the north side is the WORST. Don't let anyone tell you different. Doesn't matter if you are trying to go south or east/west. I grew up in Lawrenceville in the 80's/90's. For working in Norcross I would check out Lilburn. It is between Lawrenceville and Norcross and it might have what you're looking for.
BTW Villa Rica is hopelessly far away from Atlanta. I have one friend who lives way out there and we almost never see each other.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to get a place in Lawrenceville. I learned a few of my coworkers live in the area and it's a 20-30 minute drive in normal traffic. I'm doing 30-45 in FL now so that will be fine. I wish I had checked out Lilburn first. Oh well, it is still an upgrade in house and driving distance/time. We will definitely look in Roswell and Alpharetta when we look to purchase in a year or more.

As far as the friends in Villa Rica, we went from my employer to their place in 49 minutes so we would be a little over an hour to visit each other. It's not that bad and we can always meet somewhere in between.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM

56 posts, read 69,258 times
I everyone , i curently reside in upstate ny thinking about relocate to georgia my biggest problem is the safety because i keep hearing mix information about how bad the crime is all over georgia no matter where you live please help me.My budget is $1200 my husband office will be either in duluth or college park i am looking for a good school district where my children will feel welcoming so do the neighborhood i do not want to be far away but i like loganville i also want to know how far is henry county going to be if i decide to live in loganville because i will be attend Mercer university in Mcdonough please i want to year some feedback i just want to be in a low crime area where i don't need to be afraid inside of my home and to go to work in leave my 16 yrs old at home with her sibling while i am at work thank you.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 AM

one more thing i will be relocate by the end of this year 2013 i dont know where i am going to work but we save 12 months just for rent plus my husband's income since he will be transfer with his job i hope to get a job before i make the move like i say just give some advise on where to live my number one concern is safety for my family also i want to know if the crime is really bad because the way some people describe atlanta and the suburb its sound like a war zone where eveyone armed with AK47 lol .Thank you in advance.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,000,686 times
If I were you I would consider looking in Duluth and Suwanee.

I would really want to keep on the west side of I-85, assuming that your job is also west of the highway (most commerce in Norcross is).

You're also going to find more of what you are looking for. Not sure if you can do it on your budget, though.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 AM

Thank you ATLTJL but let me ask you a question how is the crime,school and school also can you tell me about loganville or dacula since i see rental is not that expensive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta