U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,659 times

Advertisements

I am a Clinical Social Worker considering relocating from Ohio to Atlanta, GA. I would love to hear any input from Social Workers, Clinical Therapists, or Mental Health Counselors. Spare no details - good or otherwise. I am interested in hearing from those who are self employed as well as those with agencies. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
One of my good friends is a social worker. He has worked for the county, for Hospice, and a bunch of different places.

What I have noticed is he never makes a big salary, but whenever he gets sick of his job he is always able to line up a new one in under a week. He is an MSW, so I don't know if that makes him more marketable, but he is never unemployed and has the freedom to tell his boss to shove off if anything makes him unhappy. He doesn't change jobs that frequently by most standards probably, but I've had the same job for a really long time and he changes every 2 or 3 years, and that is frequent in my world. I just know as soon as he starts to look for a new job he has one almost immediately.

As with everything, your mileage may vary. I don't know if he has a special skill set or anything that makes him more marketable.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 14,130 times
My husband is an LMSW, and he got an new job with a much higher salary very quickly when he recently decided to change jobs. An LCSW should have even more opportunities open to them than an LMSW. However, an LPC friend of his has been looking for months for a new job with no luck. I know that social workers have more opportunities open to them than counselors, so maybe that's the difference; I'm not sure. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks to both of you (ATLTJL and indigomisha)!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM

61 posts, read 171,674 times
This is a great post I'm a LCSW in NY hoping to move to GA in the future. LISW have you started the process of transferring your OH license to GA? I know GA requires CEU.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM

36 posts, read 115,896 times
I'm an unlicensed MFT in California and am looking to move to Atlanta in the next year. I probably will not be licensed at that point (and was told by the board in Georgia that most of my hours won't count since they weren't under an AAMFT approved supervisor - so it won't matter if I'm licensed or not, I'll have to start over as a LAMFT). Has anyone gone through this process? Going from being a LMFT/MFT Intern in California to a LAMFT or APC or LPC in Georgia? Any information would be greatly appreciated. The board doesn't seem like much help - I was basically told to apply and "see what happens".

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
There are many LCSWs (and allied professionals) in the Atlanta area. Many of them are a member The Metro Atlanta Therapists Network (MATN). There is also a Yahoo! group entitled The Georgia Therapists Network . Both are good sources for answers to questions about counseling in Atlanta and Georgia.

If you have not already done so, I would contact the Georgia Secretary of State ASAP about getting a GA license. As Leela62 said, there is virtually no reciprocity for social work licenseure between states, and GA (like all states) can get picky about whether or not your supervision, qualifications, and experience in Ohio are sufficient to obtain a GA license via. and examination waiver.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

@ Diggy520: Yes, I have started the process. So far I have paid the $30 to the ASWB to send an official copy of my test scores; paid $4 to have my college transcripts sent to the Board; and paid $25 to my State Board to have them send GA a copy of Ohio's requirements. I still have to send out 2 forms each to both of my supervisors to document my hours of supervison AND to complete the application and pay GA $100. The catch to it all seems to be the extra year of supervision that GA requires. In Ohio (and I guess most states), you only need 2 years to complete 150 hours minimum of supervision time; GA requires a minimum of 120 hours BUT they have to be completed in NO LESS than 3 years - therein lies the problem. Hence, the need to document your supervision ALL OVER AGAIN! Fortunately, I didn't get my LISW after 2 years - I applied after my third year - so that should work in my favor.

@ Leela62: I'm sorry I don't have the link handy, but I would suggest you go the the GA Administrative Code and find the chapter about counselors, therapists, social workers, etc. All the legal requirements for licensure will be spelled out there. I had to go to the Administrative Code for Ohio to find clear cut answers about the requirements for receiving the Supervisor Designation for my license because the State Board website wasn't clear. As for the CEU requirement, GA requires 30 each renewal period and ONLY 15 can be online. In Ohio, all 30 can be done online now. That kinda sucks, but....

@ ToucheGA: Thank you for the names of the organizations; I will definitely check them out!

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I will keep you posted on my progress and share any information that I can.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Follow Up to my Original Post

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I promised to follow up. It is now October 29, 2013 and I am still waiting to hear a final word from the GSB. I have checked the website link that they provided me with to see the status of my application. My checklist shows that the background check has not been completed and the subsequent Board Review has not been done. I have no idea why this is taking so long but I have done all that I can possibly do. One thing worth noting here is that I did actually move to Georgia on April 1st. I applied for various jobs via the internet that did NOT require a license. I got absolutely NO response from ANYONE. The most ironic thing is that I got a letter from a previous employer in Ohio asking me if I would be interested to coming back to work for them -lol! Thankfully, I got a temp assignment in Germany and while there decided to move back to Ohio. All of this happened and I STILL haven't heard from the GA state board. All I can say is that if you are planning to move to GA, and you need to go to work quickly, make sure you have your licensing taken care of BEFORE you move. It is definitely a long process. I'm just glad that I had options!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Wink Final Update

In case anyone is still reading this thread, just wanted to let you all know that I FINALLY got licensed as a Clinical Social Worker by the State of Georgia last Monday. It was definitely a long process and took much longer than the same process takes in the State of Ohio. The GA license is valid until 9/30/14. My issue will be finding a way to take care of the CEU requirements that cannot be addressed online. Hopefully these posts will provide some insight for others who may be considering relocation.
Wishing all a happy holiday season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or