U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times

Advertisements

My perspective is:

Publix - generally higher quality products on the shelves, better private label brands, higher level of service (at least the cashiers, the deli people aren't always great), consistenly good stores, better meat and produce, more expensive, inconsistent hours (some close at 10p, some are open until 11p and it's hard to know which is which).

Kroger - less consistent, the stores that are good are great but the ones that aren't run the gamut from terrible to pretty good, wider selection of brands, significantly cheaper, much more convenient hours, wider variety of products.

I am lucky to live near several of the excellent Kroger stores that have huge organic and wine sections. My neighborhood Publix is okay, it's kind of small, but there is a really big nice one not much further. I find that I go to Kroger more often, but there are certain brands that I can only find at Publix. Generally when I go to Publix I am shopping for things that I can't find at Kroger and browsing the BOGO specials which are often good.

However, even at the good Krogers, there are often employees goofing off and a general lack of work ethic that you just don't typically see at Publix. I think Publix runs a tighter ship, but for people that don't require a tremendous amount of service when they shop, it probably doesn't matter much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
My perspective is:

Publix - generally higher quality products on the shelves, better private label brands, higher level of service (at least the cashiers, the deli people aren't always great), consistenly good stores, better meat and produce, more expensive, inconsistent hours (some close at 10p, some are open until 11p and it's hard to know which is which).

Kroger - less consistent, the stores that are good are great but the ones that aren't run the gamut from terrible to pretty good, wider selection of brands, significantly cheaper, much more convenient hours, wider variety of products.

I am lucky to live near several of the excellent Kroger stores that have huge organic and wine sections. My neighborhood Publix is okay, it's kind of small, but there is a really big nice one not much further. I find that I go to Kroger more often, but there are certain brands that I can only find at Publix. Generally when I go to Publix I am shopping for things that I can't find at Kroger and browsing the BOGO specials which are often good.

However, even at the good Krogers, there are often employees goofing off and a general lack of work ethic that you just don't typically see at Publix. I think Publix runs a tighter ship, but for people that don't require a tremendous amount of service when they shop, it probably doesn't matter much.
Agree. I do think it doepends on the individual store. The Publix closest to me has excellent meat. Kroger, not so much. Kroger's customer service, imo, is terrible for the most part. I also need to shop at least 3 stores to get what I need.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
BTW, I meant to say, I used to always shop at Publix because I didn't want to support the Kroger card.

The "discounts" that the card gives you are just the items that would be on sale anyway. The reason they want you to think the card gives you such great deals is because they want you to use it. They use that card to track all of your purchases and you are providing them with free market research when you use it.

I didn't like the idea of not being compensated for providing market research, but I got over it because it just wasn't always convenient to get to Publix before it closed.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
While the Kroger card tracks purchases, it's the tracking that enables them to send specfic coupons for the items I buy every month. I get a package of money saving coupons and use most of them.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Most of my experience revolves around The Toco Hill Kroger and Publix.

Publix - Better customer service, produce, bakery, private label quality.

Kroger - Better meat, prices, pharmacy.

On the island, we have neither...but Harris Teeter is more than adequate compensation for their absence.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
That's because Publix is the largest employee owned store. All those full time employees get stock every year, get quarterly bonuses and holiday bonus. All Publix employees get dental and vision insurance, but only full time get health.
The only benefit I know Kroger employees get is a discount on food, but not even Publix does that.
Again, the Publix bakery is nothing special. All those cakes, cookies, bagels, desserts, pastries all come into the store frozen and are cooked in the store. Most of the bread, except for wheat because it is very difficult to mix, is made fresh the day before. Kroger and most groceries follow this same business model. There is nothing special about the Publix Bakery, I worked in it for over a year!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,348,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I worked at Publix, I refuse to shop there since seeing how they treat their part-time employees.
A friend of mine from way back when used to work at Publix. Her motto was "Publix, where shopping is a pleasure and working is a drag."

Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,348,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Again, the Publix bakery is nothing special. All those cakes, cookies, bagels, desserts, pastries all come into the store frozen and are cooked in the store. Most of the bread, except for wheat because it is very difficult to mix, is made fresh the day before. Kroger and most groceries follow this same business model. There is nothing special about the Publix Bakery, I worked in it for over a year!
Well it may be "nothing special" but it sure is good! Whatever business model they use they sure have figured out how to deliver a consistently good quality product. When we want a cake made to order we always go to the Publix bakery. The cakes are consistently moist and tasty, and their frostings (no matter how they are made) are delicious. I don't think I have ever had a bad cake from Publix, regardless of the store. But I have had bad cakes from Kroger and other places.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
A friend of mine from way back when used to work at Publix. Her motto was "Publix, where shopping is a pleasure and working is a drag."
That's exactly it. The customers get used to having employees bend-over-backwards for them that they starting getting demanding. I had one lady tell me to 'fetch' her some ketchup, when I worked in the Deli. One lady slapped down a Deli order and walked off, when there was a long line of people waiting. We didn't make her order!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
Can confirm, working for Publix sucks. I have no idea why people think it is a good company to work for.

I know so many people that have worked there for 5+ years and had been promised promotions which have never come along.

And there is something a little too "Florida" about it. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or