Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Hate to tell you, but they all look the same behind the walls, coolers, and doors.
So? As long as my feet aren't sticking to the floor, and the meat is properly wrapped. Kroger just always looks dark and dingy and drepressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
So? As long as my feet aren't sticking to the floor, and the meat is properly wrapped. Kroger just always looks dark and dingy and drepressing.
Hate grocery store feet! The older Publix's of Florida are disgusting. These are new, so that's why they look clean.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM

163 posts, read 431,347 times
I shop Kroger because of the Plus card, but I don't like either of them. I'm down here only five months from the northeast: I want ShopRite! And Stop 'n' Shop! And Foodtown!

Only half-kidding. I was living in Buckhead...Disco Kroger has a great wine selection and some produce that I can't find in my current Kroger (Edgewood? Near Inman Park). But neither is great about produce, and it leaves me scratching my head: where DOES the Boston lettuce go? Why is that weird parsley all over the place, when the Italian parsley isn't? And can I get a decent ****take mushroom?

But both Krogers are not great. I can't find much lamb, or veal (that's a joke, I've seen ZERO veal). the fish selection is slim, and I can't even find San Marzano canned tomatoes. For the record, these are all things in abundant supply in the crappy Foodtown down the street from me in NJ. I know I'm somewhere else now, but I was surprised that the selection is so different.

Publix is always more expensive, and Kroger is convenient. At some point, I'm just going to have to raise a calf or something.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,140 times
Yes, lol! stop'n'shop is such a good grocery store. I've also lived in upstate New York and I miss Wegman's the most

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
The older Publix's of Florida are disgusting.
There is some truth to this.

Back when I lived in Florida, all the Publix stores looked like they were built in the early 60s and never updated. Remember those nasty green curtains? How about that white neon legacy Publix sign? Well, I always kind of liked the neon, but it did look retro....I bet it would be cool nowadays.

Anyway, Publix stores in Florida were disgusting. When I lived there in the early 90s, I avoided Publix like the plague and shopped at Albertsons, which was nice and new and big. When I moved to Atlanta, I was pretty suprised to see Publix stores here that were nice and new and I began shopping there. Publix has since renovated every store in Florida that I know of. There may be some grimey ones left, but it looks like when they decided to leave Florida, Publix really upped its game and decided to compete seriously.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
And can I get a decent ****take mushroom?

Neither chain has a good variety of produce IME. If I want interesting produce I go to Whole Foods (aka Harry's). They're expensive, but the selection and quality is tremendous.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM

329 posts, read 638,164 times
Quote:
I shop Kroger because of the Plus card, but I don't like either of them. I'm down here only five months from the northeast: I want ShopRite! And Stop 'n' Shop! And Foodtown!

Only half-kidding. I was living in Buckhead...Disco Kroger has a great wine selection and some produce that I can't find in my current Kroger (Edgewood? Near Inman Park). But neither is great about produce, and it leaves me scratching my head: where DOES the Boston lettuce go? Why is that weird parsley all over the place, when the Italian parsley isn't? And can I get a decent ****take mushroom?

But both Krogers are not great. I can't find much lamb, or veal (that's a joke, I've seen ZERO veal). the fish selection is slim, and I can't even find San Marzano canned tomatoes. For the record, these are all things in abundant supply in the crappy Foodtown down the street from me in NJ. I know I'm somewhere else now, but I was surprised that the selection is so different.

Publix is always more expensive, and Kroger is convenient. At some point, I'm just going to have to raise a calf or something.
you may want to try Dekalb Farmers Market for your meat and produce needs...

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
my current Kroger (Edgewood? Near Inman Park)
The hipster Kroger. It is in Edgewood, because Inman Park and Candler Park do not want chain stores.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM

37 posts, read 48,072 times
I prefer Kroger, due to prices/plus card. However, Publix cupcakes with the cream cheese icing is the BEST!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
I thought ShopRite was one of the most disgusting stores I'd ever shopped in. LOL Guess we all have our opinions..

I like both Publix and Kroger depending on the area and the store, but lately especially when being up in the north Ga. mountain area, I'm beginning to prefer Ingles. More expensive than Kroger's but a few of the Ingles can compete with both for size, availability of items, and shopping experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta