U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM

7,803 posts, read 11,759,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree that those being named the hottest "up and coming" areas is ridiculous, for all the reasons posted above. But, in your opinion, which neighborhoods are the most up and coming? My vote for number 1 is the Old Fourth Ward/Sweet Auburn. I'm not sure what 2 and 3 are, but probably some in the same area. Maybe Summerhill?

What are your opinions?
Those neighborhoods are definitely making a lot of buzz. Adair Park, Pittsburgh and Capital View also are well poised (due to their proximity to the Beltline) to become "hot" neighborhoods as well. I see them as this decade's Cabbagetown, East Atlanta and Kirkwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM

631 posts, read 1,029,112 times
Roswell and Suwanee are "up and coming?" Maybe in the 90s....

Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,418,236 times
1. Inman Park/Va-Hi
2. Midtown

Fall of 2014
1. Buckhead
2. Inman Park/Va Hi
3. West Midtown
4. Midtown

IMO, Atlanta is at a standstill until Mid 2014

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-28-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,161,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Those neighborhoods are definitely making a lot of buzz. Adair Park, Pittsburgh and Capital View also are well poised (due to their proximity to the Beltline) to become "hot" neighborhoods as well. I see them as this decade's Cabbagetown, East Atlanta and Kirkwood.
I agree that as the beltline is further built out, neighborhoods around it will definitely be the ones to grow. I also think the far southern end of Grant Park and Boulevard Heights are poised to grow and increase in property values. Grant Park is obviously already popular, but I feel like people tend to underestimate the area south of Atlanta Ave and just across the railroad tracks (future beltline).

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Quote:
IMO, Atlanta is at a standstill until Mid 2014
I think you're right.

I also agree that Buckhead is going to become a hot neighborhood again, with people realizing that it was never actually "out." But I do think it's going to figure out how to become popular with the young people again and attract more art and culture. The cream always rises to the top.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,418,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think you're right.

I also agree that Buckhead is going to become a hot neighborhood again, with people realizing that it was never actually "out." But I do think it's going to figure out how to become popular with the young people again and attract more art and culture. The cream always rises to the top.
Buckhead IMO will be the hottest spot in Atlanta. There are at least 60 bars/restaurants in the immediate area. BA plans on opening 75-80 stores. There are at least 20 stores in the immediate area that are closed. Once BA is complete that entire area will have at least 100 new businesses. The only thing IMO that area needs is another hotel that isn't as expensive as the St Regis, a huge park and a real plan to deal with all the traffic that this area will have. Traffic is bad in that area now and it's going to be HORRIBLE once BA opens. Traffic during the day is going to be like how the Buckhead club district used to be at night traffic wise.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
Yes, they do have to figure out how to deal with traffic.

But the fact remains that Buckhead is one of the few intown addresses you can have where you can actually send your kids to really good public schools, at least elementary.

I think Buckhead's biggest problem is that it is bisected by GA 400 and there aren't enough ways under it. I think a lot of the residential growth will be around the Chastain area where you are still in Buckhead but immune to all the stuff on Peachtree, or up Peachtree past Lenox where it starts transitioning to Brookhaven. If I could afford a reasonable 3 bedroom home in this area, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 PM

906 posts, read 1,443,361 times
I agree that Buckhead may see some resurgence, but they've got to get a better pedestrian feel going. For how dense it is, parts of Buckhead still seem pretty spread out and car dependent. They also need to figure out how to diversify their draw, as the bar scene has gotten WAY too fratty IMO.

As far as intown goes, West Midtown and Old Fourth Ward seem to have the best combination of momentum and room-for-growth right now. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your perspective), I also think these neighborhoods benefit immensely from proximity to the northern and eastern parts of the city (esp. proximity to Midtown and the northern parts of the Beltline). The northern parts of the city already have more money and development going for them, so it just seems like "gentrification" will happen sooner in nearby areas than, say, SW Atlanta.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,614,770 times
Lol, Atlanta is so pathetic that they name suburban cities for neighborhoods instead of actual neighborhoods within the city limits. I lol'd.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,936,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lol, Atlanta is so pathetic that they name suburban cities for neighborhoods instead of actual neighborhoods within the city limits. I lol'd.
Which suburban cities in the Atlanta metro are named after neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or