U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,161,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
While I would like for it to be true, what recent changes does Summerhill have going for it? Of the once up-and-coming neighborhoods, it is now foreclosure central. I am not trying to be snarky, I really want to know why you are upbeat about Summerhill.
thanks
Honestly, I threw it out there without knowing a ton about recent foreclosure activity, etc. Mainly, I put it there because if the proposals for the developments in the Turner Field parking lots ever come to fruition, I think it will become a desirable, lively neighborhood. Especially if the streetcar is built connecting the neighborhood more seamlessly to downtown. I also think it is in a generally prime area for development - it is very close to downtown (bikeable), close to large parks (Grant Park, and the other scattered parks around the neighborhood), close to restaurants (again, Grant Park), and there are old storefronts that could be redeveloped there already. The existing homes are also very nice, and the grid patterns lends itself well to urban development. I bike through there often, and on the outside at least, it seems like a very nice neighborhood. I also don't think safety there is as much a concern as some people think, as compared to say, Peoplestown to its south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
The empty parking lots and fans disregard for resident's properties are holding Summerhill back. People would rather have a empty lot except 80 days of the year than build homes on it. Then most of the fans just leave their trash and use residents properties are toilets. Total disrespect for the people that call the area home. The Turner Field development will help turn the area around by making it a destination and livable area year-round.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,651,836 times
My father once owned homes/apartments around Capital Ave. (Summerhill) before the original stadium was built. A bunch of crooked things were going on at the time (urban renewal, the stadium being built etc) and eventually he felt compelled to sell or bulldoze everything. Anyway, I remember going to a Braves game (early 80s I think) and having him trying to park on the one lot that he kept, a guy insited that he had to pay to park on his own lot. The guy told my father that he didn't care who owned the lot, he had to pay. He paid... and sold the lot not too long after that. Looks like the folks who bought in Summerhil in the last 10 years aren't doing any better than my father did.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,577,833 times
I've always thought of summerhill being more of an extension of grant park. Most of the original neighbourhood is gone, having been replaced by the stadium and its parking lots. It can't be more than about 5 blocks from grant park (the actual park) to the stadium. It's prime for redevelopment and crime isn't too bad, but I don't know if I'd call what's left a neighbourhood in its own right.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM

264 posts, read 468,895 times
"The hottest neighborhoods were judged on shrinking inventory and rising prices and sales compared to the rest of the market, and the study also looked at 2012 data to see how those areas have changed."

If you read the article, these were the criteria they used in selecting the 3 areas. I am thrilled to see shrinking inventory.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,940,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You obviously didn't understand what I said. I was saying it's pathetic for Atlanta that people making this decided to name suburban cities instead of neighborhoods in the city limits like Virginia Highlands, O4W, Grant Park, etc.
Apparently I didn't. OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or