U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 13,445 times

Advertisements

hi I went on here and did a search but they all seem to be from a few years ago Ive only been in atl for about a year and currently live in the brookhaven area recently me and my fiance have been thinking of buying a house in east point, ive always heard its bad with crime but recently people have told me its turning around.. the house were looking at is on jefferson ave any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galice14 View Post
hi I went on here and did a search but they all seem to be from a few years ago Ive only been in atl for about a year and currently live in the brookhaven area recently me and my fiance have been thinking of buying a house in east point, ive always heard its bad with crime but recently people have told me its turning around.. the house were looking at is on jefferson ave any thoughts?
It still has a fair amount of crime, but as you've heard, it is turning around. If I had to guess, I'd say it will continue to improve over the next decade. The public schools in the area are still awful though, so if you two are thinking about having kids anytime soon, you may want to consider another area.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 AM

383 posts, read 716,547 times
Jefferson Park is a very tight knit community where people truly care about their neighborhood. There is some crime in the area (mainly car break-ins) and the schools are certainly not great . I personally love the neighborhood. There are multiple home remodels going on and homes seem to be going fast once they are listed.

The neighborhood has an association with monthly meetings to discuss activities in the neighborhood and there are multiple events each year (5K run in the fall, christmas tree lighting, and progressive dinners).

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM

7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
East Point would be a great place to buy a first home. The Downtown neighborhoods especially have a lot of great housing stock to choose from, a real sense of community at the street level, and very active neighborhood associations as mentioned above. Jefferson Park, Frog Hollow, and Conley Hills would areas to focus your search.

Sure the schools aren't "great", but as someone who grew up in the school system down there, it has less to do with the schools themselves and more to do with the nature of the student base. East Point has a very large working class population not found in other lofty neighborhoods, and because of that many families aren't as focused on the education of their children in the same way you would find in more upper income areas. If however you are very active in your child's education, they will do just fine. There are people that I grew up with who are now engineers, doctors, scientists, owners of their corporations, etc.

As for crime, I really don't see it as being any worse than the intown neighborhoods on the Eastside of the City of Atlanta proper. Car and house robberies do happen (but not at epidemic levels), but a good home security system will be enough to ward off trouble. There is no concern for shootings or other acts of random violence like some would have you believe.

Last edited by waronxmas; 01-29-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM
KWD

4 posts, read 9,902 times
I recently moved to a fabulous house in Conley Hills. The neighborhood is great. I enjoy the small-town feel and the proximity to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta