U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM

985 posts, read 1,434,115 times

Advertisements

I can say, as a transplant and a converted DIE HARD Falcon fan, that when attending the DOME you do not have ask people where they are from. If you want to meet original Atlantans, go to a Falcons game. BTW they are not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM

731 posts, read 646,855 times
i dont know why people dismiss this so easily. Teams have relocated overnight before. LA had two teams leave in the same year, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that falcons could do the same.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM

842 posts, read 1,111,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I can understand the sentiment behind the Falcons, but this is a post-1996 Olympics Era now. The old fan base that grew up with the Falcons is gone pretty much, and now the Falcons are forced to compete with a professional sports fan base that have no long-time connections to Atlanta.

Also, I would add that people who love football will come regardless of who is playing. And if the ownership can manage to put together a decent roster of players that can actually win, I'm pretty sure that the few Falcons fans who are left who grew up in Atlanta will grow to love their new team.

In America, everyone loves a winner regardless of the uniform that's being worn.

Oh come now, that's assuming that the customer base is large enough to put up a fuss, or that the diehard professional sports football fans have other choices. Pre-1996 Olympics, your logic would've made sense. But post-1996 Olympics? It's on shaky ground, I'd say.

Too many people with different desires have moved here that go against your presupposition that the traditional Falcon customer is numerous enough to fight any potential changes.

Atlanta tears old things down and put new stuff up all the time. Yeah, the old-timers may yell and raise sand about the changes. But eventually the people who like the new stuff regardless of the change will come around in time and support the new.

Also, look at how the radio station V-103 changed its format around when it was bought out in the late 1990s by a larger corporation. The old-timers fuss and moan, and yet even as V-103 ceded a little to the old-timers the radio station still pushed through major changes anyways and is still a popular radio station today.

I would imagine that this phenomena will be the same with a new Atlanta NFL team. I think you are speaking more with your emotions and sentiments rather than with cold hard logic on this one, but it's understandable. I have longstanding ties to Atlanta and the Falcons myself.

But change does happen, and that, my fellow Atlantan, is inevitable.
For what it's worth, someone called in to 680 The Fan last night and stated that the Falcons could move and the city could just bring in the Jaguars. Naturally, the caller got blasted.

Actually, it appears that you are the one whose logic is flawed on this one. The sticking point against the new stadium is money, namely taxpayer money. If the Falcons leave the Dome and the Jaguars (or another team) comes in, numerous aesthetic changes will have to be made at the Dome. What's it going to take to make those changes? You guessed it, money! (Possibly taxpayer money in the end). On top of that, the new Atlanta team will eventually also want a new stadium. In your scenario, it could very well end up being a "pay me now or pay me later" type of situation. You tell Blank to shove it and leave town and bring the new team in. New team comes in, money is needed to make changes on the fly, and the new owner will eventually ask for either what Blank was asking for a new stadium or possibly more.

Logic tells me that you either pay the Falcons now or either literally end up paying another team later or figuratively end up "paying" by being a city without an NFL franchise. Houston didn't want to pay Bud Adams for a new stadium for the Oilers. Guess what it took to get the Texans to town: A new stadium! The same cycle has repeated in other cities with teams either getting new stadiums to stay in town or cities having to build new stadiums to bring the NFL back.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
i dont know why people dismiss this so easily. Teams have relocated overnight before. LA had two teams leave in the same year, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that falcons could do the same.
That's why I feel that Atlanta needs to get on the ball and at least try to work with the team in getting a new stadium. I was in Los Angeles when the Raiders and Rams left. As a sports fan, it is a sinking feeling when a team leaves town even if you aren't a die-hard fan.

Some people seem to forget that you don't just lose a team when they leave, you lose local access to that particular league. Here's an example: I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I grew up watching the Kings back home. The Kings finally won the Cup last season, but Kings fans here in Atlanta can't catch them when they come to town anymore since the Thrashers are gone. The same goes for transplants from NY, Chicago, Detroit, etc. that would go to Thrasher games when the Rangers, Islanders, Blackhawks, and Red Wings would come to town.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,127,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
For what it's worth, someone called in to 680 The Fan last night and stated that the Falcons could move and the city could just bring in the Jaguars. Naturally, the caller got blasted.
Yeah but that's a Sports radio show. I'd hardly consider that audience representative of the greater Atlanta public. There are plenty of South Americans, Central Americans, Mexicans, Europeans, Caribbean folk, and what-have-you who live here and see the name "football" being made a mockery of in America.

Quote:
Actually, it appears that you are the one whose logic is flawed on this one. The sticking point against the new stadium is money, namely taxpayer money. If the Falcons leave the Dome and the Jaguars (or another team) comes in, numerous aesthetic changes will have to be made at the Dome. What's it going to take to make those changes? You guessed it, money! (Possibly taxpayer money in the end). On top of that, the new Atlanta team will eventually also want a new stadium. In your scenario, it could very well end up being a "pay me now or pay me later" type of situation. You tell Blank to shove it and leave town and bring the new team in. New team comes in, money is needed to make changes on the fly, and the new owner will eventually ask for either what Blank was asking for a new stadium or possibly more.
This is all opinion at this point. We don't know one way or another until we actually try. But it looks like even that won't be the case. I would be interested to see if this "Rise up" spirit continues on into the next season.

I have a strong feeling though that this new stadium will end up being just another bitter pill to swallow for the regular taxpaying public who aren't exactly diehard Falcon fans.

Quite honestly, I think Atlanta would be better off chasing FIFA confederation and worldcup bids and building up a soccer audience due to the insane amount of people from overseas who come here. It has been a long time since this city has seen anything that equals to or tops the '96 Olympic games. Our city is leaving waaaay too much money on the table, I'd say.

But due to a current strand of lazy-minded entrenched sports-nativism exhibited by both white and black Georgians, this will not be the case. At least not for the foreseeable future.

Atlanta for now has truly lost its visionary compass.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-30-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah but that's a Sports radio show. I'd hardly consider that audience representative of the greater Atlanta public. There are plenty of South Americans, Central Americans, Mexicans, Europeans, Caribbean folk, and what-have-you who live here and see the name "football" being made a mockery of in America.

This is all opinion at this point. We don't know one way or another until we actually try. But it looks like even that won't be the case. I would be interested to see if this "Rise up" spirit continues on into the next season.

I have a strong feeling though that this new stadium will end up being just another bitter pill to swallow for the regular taxpaying public who aren't exactly diehard Falcon fans.

Quite honestly, I think Atlanta would be better off chasing FIFA confederation and worldcup bids and building up a soccer audience due to the insane amount of people from overseas who come here. It has been a long time since this city has seen anything that equals to or tops the '96 Olympic games. Our city is leaving waaaay too much money on the table, I'd say.

But due to a current strand of lazy-minded entrenched sports-nativism exhibited by both white and black Georgians, this will not be the case. At least not for the foreseeable future.

Atlanta for now has truly lost its visionary compass.
You do know that the new stadium could also be pivotal in obtaining an MLS franchise and possibly seeking FIFA consideration, right?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM

22,243 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Either way its getting built.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,127,705 times
Our current Dome is capable of hosting FIFA matches as well. I have yet to see any leadership from Atlanta or Georgia even make the most minimum of efforts to bring FIFA here.

I am still not sold on this. But it's not as if my opinion matters anyway.

So at any rate...meh...

Quote:
You do know that the new stadium could also be pivotal in obtaining an MLS franchise and possibly seeking FIFA consideration, right?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,260,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
LA doesn't deserve a team Birmingham has a better fan base that takes football more seriously. It's also a good way for Alabama and Auburn fans to come together to root for the same team. Birmingham could build a nice stadium. It's only a few hours away. Move it to B'Ham.
While having an NFL team would be awesome, sadly Birmingham is a college football city/metro, and the people here are content with that. There has been talk of a dome stadium since I was a kid, and there isnt enough taxpayer support to pay for it.

The Birmingham market usually is top 5, if not #1 in TV ratings for college football, especially SEC games. Ratings for NFL games on TV here (even if the Falcons, Saints or Titans are playing) are laughable at best.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Our current Dome is capable of hosting FIFA matches as well. I have yet to see any leadership from Atlanta or Georgia even make the most minimum of efforts to bring FIFA here.

I am still not sold on this. But it's not as if my opinion matters anyway.

So at any rate...meh...
Atlanta and the Georgia Dome were actually included as part of the United States' bid for the World Cup both in 2018 and 2022. 2018 was awarded to Russia and 2022 was awarded to Qatar. It looks like some Gold Cup matches will be hosted at the Dome, so at least that's something:

Atlanta will host part of Gold Cup soccer tournament | www.ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta