U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,910,539 times

Advertisements

great pictures...makes me want to come home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 AM

858 posts, read 1,091,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The only development I can think of is Olde Perimeter? https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.92907...06968&t=h&z=18 But still even then there is sea of parking lots. PCID is making the sidewalks and intersection pretty, but not much in curbing auto-centric development.
That was built awhile ago, so if that's the timeframe you're thinking of I'm not surprised you have that impression. I think the center Alon's is in was built around the same time, and it too has a large single-level parking lot, although it's mostly in the back and the middle is purely pedestrian-oriented. Looking back, that was probably a transitional stage. Much like Midtown, if you haven't been there for a few years, you've missed a lot.

All the new apartments like Heights, Axis, and Peachtree Dunwoody Place, and even some of the older ones like Savannah and the condos next to it, are being built high and against the street with easy pedestrian access and multilevel parking behind, not like spread-out fortresses with only one entrance. As for retail, there hasn't been anything new save for a few restaurants, but they all have outdoor patios and are at the street rather than hidden behind parking lots. I don't know what the new condos will look like, but I'm willing to bet they're going to have a strong street presence and no visible parking.

PCID's effort to improve walkways and bike lanes is making a difference in how developers and residents are thinking. Everything new is connected to the sidewalk as well as it is to the road, and it's being built up instead of out. If mass transit, bike lanes, wide sidewalks, pedestrian-friendly intersections, and street-facing development isn't enough to make an area non-auto-centric, I'm not sure what is. No, it's not "there" yet, but it's not like this stuff happens overnight, especially during a recession. I can't think of any other OTP neighborhood that's making anywhere near as many strides toward becoming urban, and as a person who's into that kind of thing I'm very interested in watching it unfold. A decade from now Perimeter is going to be a completely different place, meanwhile Smyrna, Norcross, et al. are still going to be hostile to anyone who isn't driving.

Let's be honest... outside of a few main streets Midtown is a sea of parking lots and dead walls as well. There's not much about Atlanta's "urban fabric" to be proud of yet, but things are definitely moving in the right direction, both in town and (in some cases) out.

</soapbox>

Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,232,056 times
The city seemed really gray that day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or