U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 AM

29,371 posts, read 26,328,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
All those access points on the west trail require using streets or sidewalks. My point was that the east trail has connectivity to many parts of town via paved paths that are separate from roadways. I hope all portions of the beltline will evetually have similar conectivity.
I hope so, too, which is another reason to focus development on the south side.

I know the Freedom Park trail intersects with the NE trail, but what are the other trails that link up with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,070,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hope so, too, which is another reason to focus development on the south side.

I know the Freedom Park trail intersects with the NE trail, but what are the other trails that link up with it?
That is the only one I was thinking of. It connects to the Beltline at the base of the Freedom Parkway bridge. You can get on the Path trail at many places, though. I guess what I was trying to say is that the eastside trail, since it connects directly to the Path, is part of a pretty impressive network of paved pathways. Someone should open a bike rental place at the junction of the Path and the Beltline (there's warehouse space there that would be perfect for storing bikes), and offer return shuttle service from Stone Mountain Park.

I know the Path Foundation has built trails in other parts of the city, but I'm not all that familiar with them. Hopefully they are built, or will be built, in areas that will connect with other portions of the Beltline.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,740,917 times
Quote:
That is the only one I was thinking of. It connects to the Beltline at the base of the Freedom Parkway bridge. You can get on the Path trail at many places, though. I guess what I was trying to say is that the eastside trail, since it connects directly to the Path, is part of a pretty impressive network of paved pathways. Someone should open a bike rental place at the junction of the Path and the Beltline (there's warehouse space there that would be perfect for storing bikes), and offer return shuttle service from Stone Mountain Park.

I know the Path Foundation has built trails in other parts of the city, but I'm not all that familiar with them. Hopefully they are built, or will be built, in areas that will connect with other portions of the Beltline.
Wait a sec. Are you saying Path connects the Beltline and Stone Mountain? If so that's awesome!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Wait a sec. Are you saying Path connects the Beltline and Stone Mountain? If so that's awesome!
Yes, it does. However, some portions of the Path are on the street.

Stone Mountain

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,740,917 times
Quote:
Yes, it does. However, some portions of the Path are on the street.

Stone Mountain
Nice. I can't believe I didn't know that. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
JPD

Quote:
Nice. I can't believe I didn't know that. Thanks for the link.

I've been meaning to ride out there for years. Maybe I'll do it soon, before it starts getting hot.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 86,216 times
Default Eastside Trail HD Video

The Eastside Beltline Trail is truly a gem in Atlanta's crown! I went for a ride down the trail and shot this video:

A roundtrip tour of the trail shot from the first person perspective.

Make sure to watch in 1080p HD to see the full beauty of East Atlanta on a clear winter's day.

Last edited by Immovable_Media; 02-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: URL Fix

Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well, most of the intown portion is actually on city streets. However, once you get out to Clarkston it's a nice ride to the mountain. We rode it a number of times back in our bicycling days.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immovable_Media View Post
The Eastside Beltline Trail is truly a gem in Atlanta's crown! I went for a ride down the trail and shot this video:
Wow, how fast were you going? Maybe it's just the video but it looks like it would be bad news for any pedestrian who failed to get out of the way.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, most of the intown portion is actually on city streets. However, once you get out to Clarkston it's a nice ride to the mountain. We rode it a number of times back in our bicycling days.

There are some fairly new paved paths along parts of Ponce near the Ponce/Scott split. I haven't studied a map, but using these new paths, which begin fairly close to where the Candler Park Golf Course section of the Path ends, and then using Decatur's bike lanes, "sharrow" roads, and quiet streets to get to the next paved section of Path, could be a workable option if the goal is to stay out of traffic lanes for as much of the ride as possible. Could be, though, that it'd require the cyclist to ride on Ponce (the high speed/narrow lane portion), which is an absolutely terrible idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta