U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,243,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm starting to get concerned that the Beltline will be overdeveloped.

The trail is already crowded -- what happens when you add thousands more who want to use it?
I don't think the trail will seem as over developed once it spreads out away from that 2 mile stretch. If they start using this successful portion to start linking other areas, development will spread. IMO, the reason the beltline in the west end area isn't developing as quickly is because it isn't really linked to places a lot of people want to go, unlike the east side trail which links up to gentrified neighborhoods with lots going on. If they start expanding from the successful trail, I think development will move along with it, which will help the currently less desirable areas along the beltline progressively get more desirable. Then, the trail will be longer, and while there will be more people on it than now, it won't seem as crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM

23,465 posts, read 17,610,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I don't think the trail will seem as over developed once it spreads out away from that 2 mile stretch. If they start using this successful portion to start linking other areas, development will spread. IMO, the reason the beltline in the west end area isn't developing as quickly is because it isn't really linked to places a lot of people want to go, unlike the east side trail which links up to gentrified neighborhoods with lots going on. If they start expanding from the successful trail, I think development will move along with it, which will help the currently less desirable areas along the beltline progressively get more desirable. Then, the trail will be longer, and while there will be more people on it than now, it won't seem as crowded.
Work starts soon on extending the Eastside Trail to DeKalb Ave and eventually Glennwood Park and Grant Park neighborhoods. The Edgewood Ave Bridge needs to be replaced.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,243,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Work starts soon on extending the Eastside Trail to DeKalb Ave and eventually Glennwood Park and Grant Park neighborhoods. The Edgewood Ave Bridge needs to be replaced.
I hope it's extended sooner rather than later. They will have to stop at the Fuqua "Development" in Glenwood Park though because that is where the active rail line ends. Hopefully the city will acquire the ROW in Grant Park and be able to extend it further, lessening the burden on the crowded Eastside Trail.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,084,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I hope it's extended sooner rather than later.
Me too. The bridge replacement is going to take a year. They're not going to be able to pave the section between Irwin and Dekalb Ave while bridge work is being done, so that's probably still a couple years out. I would think they'd fast-track that section once the bridge is completed, since the Krog Market project is going to be new and bringing a lot of attention to the area.

I read somewhere that the Reynoldstown portion is scheduled to be paved this year.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,663,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm starting to get concerned that the Beltline will be overdeveloped.

The trail is already crowded -- what happens when you add thousands more who want to use it?
Overdeveloped!?!

If the Beltline was designed so that people can have secluded walks in the wilderness you would be right. Thankfully, the Beltline is about re-building a city - parks, trails, transit and DENSE, walkable neighborhoods that can support that transit. It doesn't matter that the transit is years away. Its still better to have walkable neighborhoods and at least some activity nodes in place along the Beltline that can support transit.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 AM

135 posts, read 481,066 times
Does anyone know how they will connect from Dekalb to Wylie? I know Krog tunnel will be used until something permanent is done, but have they come up with a permanent solution? The CSX Hulsey yard is kind of an obstacle..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM

10,613 posts, read 7,538,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
Does anyone know how they will connect from Dekalb to Wylie? I know Krog tunnel will be used until something permanent is done, but have they come up with a permanent solution? The CSX Hulsey yard is kind of an obstacle..
I think the Krog tunnel will be part of walking trail. They are still looking at options for transit including adding a new connection going under Husley Yard and connecting with King or Inman MARTA stations.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM

139 posts, read 188,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
I think the news from yesterday that ABI is now officially onto cross-town streetcars (which was easily predicted via the TIA proposal) doesn't bode well for any SE extension of the BL.

Crossing Hulsey is a huge obstacle, but possibly even more significant is the lack of ROW in the SE. The ROI on any work south of Edgewood Ave is significantly limited by the ROW dead end. The possible/probable 800 Glenwood development is another significant obstacle/unknown.

What I'm saying is that I don't believe any Hulsey crossing other than Krog St. is anywhere in the near future - maybe 15-20 years away, if ever.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM

29,421 posts, read 26,378,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Overdeveloped!?!

If the Beltline was designed so that people can have secluded walks in the wilderness you would be right. Thankfully, the Beltline is about re-building a city - parks, trails, transit and DENSE, walkable neighborhoods that can support that transit. It doesn't matter that the transit is years away. Its still better to have walkable neighborhoods and at least some activity nodes in place along the Beltline that can support transit.
Yeah but how dense do we want to go?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM

23,465 posts, read 17,610,277 times
Quote:
I think the Krog tunnel will be part of walking trail. They are still looking at options for transit including adding a new connection going under Husley Yard and connecting with King or Inman MARTA stations.
Moreland Ave and Memorial Drive could be used to connect to Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station from NE section to SE section, therefore avoiding Krog Tunnel.
Also, DeKalb Ave, Hillard\Grant Street, and Memorial Drive could be used to connect to King Memorial Station.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...07716,0.013937
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta