U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Thanks for the info. 20 years, ouch. Here's to hoping it's sooner!
20 years is not that long. The Olympics were nearly that long ago and they seem like fairly recent history.

Of course it is all relative. Today's twenty-somethings will be approaching 50 so they may not live intown anymore, but for the next generation or two this will be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
20 years is not that long. The Olympics were nearly that long ago and they seem like fairly recent history.

Of course it is all relative. Today's twenty-somethings will be approaching 50 so they may not live intown anymore, but for the next generation or two this will be awesome.
I'm a mid-late 20-something, so 20 years seems like a long time to me Although, the days do seem to be going by faster and fast now....

Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I'm a mid-late 20-something, so 20 years seems like a long time to me Although, the days do seem to be going by faster and fast now....
Ha, I hear that!

But just think -- when you're 50-something, you can drive in from the suburbs and take the grandkids for a ride on the Beltline. That would not be all bad!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Ha, I hear that!

But just think -- when you're 50-something, you can drive in from the suburbs and take the grandkids for a ride on the Beltline. That would not be all bad!
Oh man...I'm definitely the 20 something who says he will NEVER live in the suburbs. Bought a house intown and ride my bike to the beltline... hoping to never leave the city! That said, I know some late 30somethings who said the same thing at my age, but right now I can't ever picture that happening

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Oh man...I'm definitely the 20 something who says he will NEVER live in the suburbs. Bought a house intown and ride my bike to the beltline... hoping to never leave the city! That said, I know some late 30somethings who said the same thing at my age, but right now I can't ever picture that happening
Well, a lot of people do stay. When we moved back to Atlanta we settled in town and just never saw any reason to move out. A lot our friends and neighbors have done the same, and a good many have been here 50-60 years or more.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,601,041 times
Beltline Altering Life For Businesses, But Could It Use More? - Beltline Beat - Curbed Atlanta

Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM

906 posts, read 1,475,487 times
I'm honestly sort of frustrated that they've put seemingly EVERYTHING in the NW corridor on the backburner. I understand that the rail in this section will need to go last b/c of the right-of-way issues, but there's no reason to tarry necessarily for the parks and trails portions. There's a risk in underdeveloping this side of town to the point that there's less buy-in from citizens who live in the NW corridor, particularly if we do get another T-Splost type of vote.

I'm also perplexed why it isn't an automatic given to extend the streetcar up Marietta Street via Northside or Howell Mill Rd, past Tech and maybe to Atlantic Station, then moving east along 10th and/or 17th to Midtown to connect to MARTA. The Westside is already exploding while being underserved by existing transit. The traffic and demand for transit is only going to get much higher as all these new apartments around Howell Mill and Huff come online in the next two years.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM

I think it could use more. I really like the way it is heading, with businesses making the beltline have that "boardwalk feel" they are describing. While I wouldn't want it to be like a boardwalk in the sense that every square inch should be packed, I would like to see more businesses opening up to it. I want it to realize its goal of being another means of transportation in the city, which means people need easy access to the businesses. The Whole Foods Plaza along it is a great example of what I don't want the beltline to be like-businesses that should be easy to patronize due to proximity, but aren't at all. It's nice for restaurants to have patios facing the beltline, but I wouldn't want, for example, a food stand that would create a line or groups of people standing stationary on the path-that would defeat its purpose.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM

10,477 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm honestly sort of frustrated that they've put seemingly EVERYTHING in the NW corridor on the backburner. I understand that the rail in this section will need to go last b/c of the right-of-way issues, but there's no reason to tarry necessarily for the parks and trails portions. There's a risk in underdeveloping this side of town to the point that there's less buy-in from citizens who live in the NW corridor, particularly if we do get another T-Splost type of vote.

I'm also perplexed why it isn't an automatic given to extend the streetcar up Marietta Street via Northside or Howell Mill Rd, past Tech and maybe to Atlantic Station, then moving east along 10th and/or 17th to Midtown to connect to MARTA. The Westside is already exploding while being underserved by existing transit. The traffic and demand for transit is only going to get much higher as all these new apartments around Howell Mill and Huff come online in the next two years.
They are not putting everything on the back burner. A lot of the parks are in the NW and they will be starting on them. They will also be building out parts of the trail as they have the chance. For example they mentioned a section of the trail in the NW that would be running along side of a street that was getting re=paved and street-scaped by the city. They are planning to get that section of the trail built along with the street-scaping.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM

906 posts, read 1,475,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They are not putting everything on the back burner. A lot of the parks are in the NW and they will be starting on them. They will also be building out parts of the trail as they have the chance. For example they mentioned a section of the trail in the NW that would be running along side of a street that was getting re=paved and street-scaped by the city. They are planning to get that section of the trail built along with the street-scaping.
It looked like a lot of the build-out for the trails and parks in the NW corridor were scheduled for tiers 2 and 3. The two major parks--the Westside Reservoir and Waterworks--are well behind the initial schedules they had advocated for.

I understand that this isn't always the Beltline's fault. Mayor Reed, City Council, and Watershed Management haven't been pushing as hard as they can to open up the Waterworks Park, for example. But I've been to these Beltline meetings in the NW corridor. I've been around town on the Beltline tour. The NW side is definitely getting more "back-burnered" compared to the other sectors of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta