U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM

1,061 posts, read 883,310 times

Advertisements

That's great to hear, especially the portion near Morosgo near where I used to live. Anything that leads people in Buckhead to walk more is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,529,513 times
Georgia Supreme Court decides funding case in favor of the Beltline:

BeltLine project wins court ruling | www.ajc.com

Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,404,685 times
Was this holding development back on the Beltline? Should we expect more movement now that this case has been decided?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Was this holding development back on the Beltline? Should we expect more movement now that this case has been decided?
I don't have enough info to answer that, but if the Beltline had lost, it certainly would have made it much more difficult going forward.

EDIT: Interested in reading the court's opinion? Go here:

Case No. S13A0333 Sherman v. Atlanta Independent School System, et al.

http://www.gasupreme.us/sc-op/forthcoming.php

Last edited by JPD; 06-03-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 03:10 PM

9,954 posts, read 6,957,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

EDIT: Interested in reading the court's opinion? Go here:

Case No. S13A0333 Sherman v. Atlanta Independent School System, et al.
Being named Sherman is not going to gain you any bonus points in Atlanta. lol

Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 AM

402 posts, read 570,460 times
They should throw a keg party! Wait.....

Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM

9,954 posts, read 6,957,017 times
New CEO of Atlanta BeltLine Inc. is Paul Morris from North Carolina | SaportaReport

Quote:
The Atlanta BeltLine Inc. has a new president and CEO — Paul Morris from North Carolina.

The ABI board met Wednesday morning when it voted to approve Morris, the former deputy secretary of transit for the N.C. Department of Transportation, as its next executive. Morris is expected to begin his new role within the next several weeks.

ABI Chairman John Somerhalder, CEO of AGL Resources Inc., said that Morris’ wealth and breadth of experience made him the top choice among the five finalists for the position.

“We ended up with the candidate that we believe is absolutely the best candidate for this role,” Somerhalder said.

In addition to serving as deputy secretary of transit for N.C. DOT, Morris also has worked for 30 years in consulting and line management roles focusing on transportation, urban regeneration and development, natural resource management, public parks and the development of corporate and institutional facilities throughout the United States and Canada.

It also didn’t hurt that Morris likely will have some well-placed friends in Washington, D.C. — namely President Barack Obama’s nominee to be U.S. Secretary of Transportation — Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM

402 posts, read 570,460 times
I like that he knows the Sec. of Transportation, but 'supposedly' Reed already had a good relationship with him. It says that he "...worked for 30 years on... transportation, urban regeneration and development, natural resource management, public parks..." but I didn't see any marquee projects identified. I'm sure there are some in there - but can someone point to a project on this scale? The Beltline is a career making development because its vision is so grand, and practicality, it will take at least 10 years to reach anywhere near the scope of the project. Is he in it for the long run, or is this a stepping stone to a fed job?

I don't like that he's not from Atlanta and probably does not have a grasp on Atlanta's neighborhoods and politic's as other candidates may have had (I have no idea who the other candidates were, but I'm sure there were Georgian's in there). We don't need someone that will enhance or bring new vision we need someone that will raise money, execute existing plans, and get this built in a timely manner.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post

I don't like that he's not from Atlanta and probably does not have a grasp on Atlanta's neighborhoods and politic's as other candidates may have had (I have no idea who the other candidates were, but I'm sure there were Georgian's in there).
Frankly, I'd rather have someone from anywhere as the CEO than someone from any part of Georgia that is outside the Atlanta City limits.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,143,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Georgia Supreme Court decides funding case in favor of the Beltline:

BeltLine project wins court ruling | www.ajc.com
That would seem to suggest that the city schools have more than enough tax revenue. If money is re-allocated to the Beltline, the school board certainly cannot plead for more funds to run the system. In fact, cuts in school taxes should be in order.

I wonder if the constitutional amendment passed through deceptive wording on the ballot? Wouldn't be the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta