U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Grant Park
139 posts, read 181,376 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Woodruff Foundation donated $3M to extend the Eastside Trail to DeKalb Ave. Majority of that price is replacing the Edgewood Ave bridge. Work is set to begin on the Westside Resivior Park and trails on the westside.
Maybe picking nits here, but I'm not aware of any of the $3mil is going to the bridge. The bridge redo, which is $4.8mil, was announced months before the grant and, I believe, a COA project done in conjunction with ABI. $1.3mil of the grant reportedly bought the O4W Gateway land. The rest, per ABI, "will also support the development of the portion of the Eastside Trail through Reynoldstown" - I suppose that could include some of the bridge, but I've never seen the two directly tied to each other.


Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Weird. I and a few others asked the same thing at some Beltline meetings, as I live on the westside. We were met with general groans and the feeling that it would be several (5-10) years before they even thought about starting.
Ask about the southeast portion or, if you dare, the Glenwood development, and you don't even get a groan - more likely a blank, dismissive stare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
Maybe picking nits here, but I'm not aware of any of the $3mil is going to the bridge. The bridge redo, which is $4.8mil, was announced months before the grant and, I believe, a COA project done in conjunction with ABI. $1.3mil of the grant reportedly bought the O4W Gateway land. The rest, per ABI, "will also support the development of the portion of the Eastside Trail through Reynoldstown" - I suppose that could include some of the bridge, but I've never seen the two directly tied to each other.




Ask about the southeast portion or, if you dare, the Glenwood development, and you don't even get a groan - more likely a blank, dismissive stare.
Thank you for the further insight. I just know part of the money is going to extend the Eastside Trail to DeKalb and assumed part of that was bridge replacement. But it makes sense the bridge would cost that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
1,405 posts, read 1,155,547 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I can't answer, but this might be of interest -

From the Cabbagetown Yahoo Group:

Hello everyone,
Per our normal schedule the HP/Land Use committee meeting will be held at
7pm on Monday, February 4th at the Community Center (177 Estoria Street). This month we will be
hosting representatives from Atlanta Beltline Inc to discuss plans for the
SE portion of the Beltline which includes Cabbagetown.

As always, meetings are open.
Thank you! I hadn't heard about that meeting. Thanks for passing the info along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Thank you! I hadn't heard about that meeting. Thanks for passing the info along.
It's a Cabbagetown neighborhood meeting, not a general Beltline info meeting, but I'm sure there'll be info pertaining to Grant Park, Reynoldstown, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Reputation: 1197
Great Atlanta BeltLine Meetings and Events February 6 & 7 // Atlanta BeltLine Info about a meeting on Ponce improvements and a SW Atl Beltline implementation meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Reputation: 1197
From the above link:Ponce De Leon Avenue is slated for several road improvement projects over the next several years to enhance its efficiency and improve the mobility of pedestrians, cyclist, and vehicles. These projects include: resurfacing, lane reconfiguration, ADA accessibility improvements, and improved access to public transportation as well as the Atlanta BeltLine. Improvements will be concentrated between Juniper Street and Briarcliff Road/Moreland Ave with street resurfacing extending beyond this scope. The City of Atlanta and Atlanta BeltLine are partnering with the Georgia Department of Transportation to coordinate these projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
From the above link:Ponce De Leon Avenue is slated for several road improvement projects over the next several years to enhance its efficiency and improve the mobility of pedestrians, cyclist, and vehicles. These projects include: resurfacing, lane reconfiguration, ADA accessibility improvements, and improved access to public transportation as well as the Atlanta BeltLine. Improvements will be concentrated between Juniper Street and Briarcliff Road/Moreland Ave with street resurfacing extending beyond this scope. The City of Atlanta and Atlanta BeltLine are partnering with the Georgia Department of Transportation to coordinate these projects.
Great news that a major corridor is seeing pedestrian improvements. Maybe Ponce will be put on a road diet to slow traffic, eg: two lanes in each direction, sheltered turns, medians, bike lanes, and bus bulbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great news that a major corridor is seeing pedestrian improvements. Maybe Ponce will be put on a road diet to slow traffic, eg: two lanes in each direction, sheltered turns, medians, bike lanes, and bus bulbs.
Bike lanes have a good future here. It will amazing seeing bike lanes that are seperated from traffic. The ADA improvements mentioned above include Beltline access from Ponce that are wheelchair accessible. I also dig that it says the street resurfacing will extend farther than Juniper and Moreland. I just Googled bus bulbs. Good stuff. In a way it's good that Atlanta has some main thoroughfares that are in need of repair. If we had done it ten years ago it would be crap compared to what it will be in a couple years. We wouldn't have gotten seperated bike lanes in 03'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
 
28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Reputation: 9528
The constitutionality of the Beltline is back before the Georgia Supreme Court. It would be a shame to have it struck down at this point.

Beltline project spending before Georgia Supreme Court - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The constitutionality of the Beltline is back before the Georgia Supreme Court. It would be a shame to have it struck down at this point.

Beltline project spending before Georgia Supreme Court - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Republicans always trying to stop urban progress. If it doesn't have to do with roads, cars , & oil they don't like it. They built freeways through vibrant urban neighborhoods in the name of urban renewal. Now they see all the good the BeltLine is doing for intown Atlanta and they want to stop it because its taking development away from the suburbs. How many projects big projects are currently being built in the suburbs except Avalon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top