U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM

10,010 posts, read 9,299,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Interesting that the only time they have condemned property is in southwest Atlanta. In the northeast quadrant they always seem to find a way to work around property owners.

From the article:
Atlanta is preparing to condemn private property to further the development of the Atlanta BeltLine.

Although just a few acres are involved, this marks the first time Atlanta has exercised its power of eminent domain to develop a park or trail related to the BeltLine.
Anybody know if there are homes and families on the condemned land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM

10,490 posts, read 7,479,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I would be interested to know too. The impression the article leaves you with is that it is sketchier investors trying to profiteer because they know the trail has been planned to go through there. In which case, I support the use of eminent domain here. But if it was a reasonable primary residence owner, I might have a problem.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM

284 posts, read 474,065 times
The whole "cloudy title" thing also is why you have so many abandoned properties from absentee landlords between Langhorn and Cascade Heights that mysteriously burn down or become code violation nightmares.
I don't like the idea for families (who rent or own) to be forced to move. But if some of the abandoned structures and tire-dump lots get cleaned up, that is a win for my SW ATL neighborhood.

If you drive down Westmont where The Mustard Seed is located (across from John White Park, which will be connected to the Beltline), almost every house along that strip is burned or boarded up. The city posts its condemned notices, but as we've discussed here before it is a slow process to actually get the structures torn down, which adds to the crime problem,example:

I live not far from where a young mother's body was found dismembered at an abandoned house last fall...scary thing is there are 2 occupied homes on either side. Update: Dismembered body found beneath home identified as missing mother of 2 - Atlanta Crime | Examiner.com

We're starting to see more and more "BELTLINE PROPERTY FOR SALE" signs along the SW area (a little late to the game, but maybe too many investors are being priced out of the NE arc). There are several community groups dedicated to advocating for low-income/seniors/disadvantaged residents, to help protect them from the "flipping/teardown" scourge that has often been a byproduct of revitalization...I hope they don't lose the fight to eminent domain.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,122,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
People like you bending over backwards to bash anything having to do with the Beltline was getting tiresome two years ago and yet you're still at it.
I commute via the Beltline often, and walk portions frequently during lunch. I've attended meetings, and been in contact with project management when I feel I've got valid concerns. I am all for the Beltline and it's continued success and expansion.

I made a reasonable (accurate) assement of current day trail conditions. Somehow, via confirmation bias or the need to be outraged if someone says anything non-glowing about the trial, I'm a detractor? Here are a couple older posts I've made about the Beltline. I sure sound like I'm out to stomp that thing out, whatever the cost, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
As mentioned above, the Beltline trail is a great amenity, and links up with the existing bike path system that could allow bike commuting into Decatur (if that is your thing).
Quote:
My commute from Glenwood Park to Virginia Highlands is easily faster by bike the Beltline than by car. It's such an easy trip I can bang out the morning email flurry on my phone while riding hands-free.
Quote:
There is probably an (expected) influx of people who have been waiting to check it out. There is a lot of enthusiasm for the project and people want to get a look at it now that it's open. I've been using it to commute to and from work and I'm glad it's there.
Quote:
Nominating Virginia Highlands. [...] There are a couple larger gated complexes towards the south end of Virgina Highlands that would put you really close to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Piedmont Park, the new Beltline Eastside Trail while still being a short walk or bike ride to all the nighlife in middle of the Highlands.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,039,030 times
Quote:
I commute via the Beltline often, and walk portions frequently during lunch. I've attended meetings, and been in contact with project management when I feel I've got valid concerns. I am all for the Beltline and it's continued success and expansion.

I made a reasonable (accurate) assement of current day trail conditions. Somehow, via confirmation bias or the need to be outraged if someone says anything non-glowing about the trial, I'm a detractor? Here are a couple older posts I've made about the Beltline. I sure sound like I'm out to stomp that thing out, whatever the cost, eh?
You've been stewing over this all day. Let it go.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM

29,293 posts, read 26,226,966 times
Quote:
Hopefully they will disclose the properties in question. You know there'd be a volcanic eruption if they started condemning private properties in the NE corridor.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM

10,010 posts, read 9,299,456 times
Quote:
Hopefully they will disclose the properties in question. You know there'd be a volcanic eruption if they started condemning private properties in the NE corridor.
Oh, my. But see arjay, the government is far more afraid of that tax and voter base. Shouldn't be that way, but its our sad reality in a political environment motivated for and existing to make money. Besides, Arthur Ferdinand's income would take a hit...

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

29,293 posts, read 26,226,966 times
Quote:
Oh, my. But see arjay, the government is far more afraid of that tax and voter base. Shouldn't be that way, but its our sad reality in a political environment motivated for and existing to make money. Besides, Arthur Ferdinand's income would take a hit...
Har! Spot on, Ansley!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 AM

4,183 posts, read 4,854,172 times
Quote:
Interesting that the only time they have condemned property is in southwest Atlanta. In the northeast quadrant they always seem to find a way to work around property owners.

From the article:
Atlanta is preparing to condemn private property to further the development of the Atlanta BeltLine.

Although just a few acres are involved, this marks the first time Atlanta has exercised its power of eminent domain to develop a park or trail related to the BeltLine.
do you have a map?

i'm only OK with eminent domain if the property is empty land or if the structure on it is decayed beyond repair. in that case it makes sense. however, if this involves just taking houses for the hell of it, i'm not cool with tható they should have to negotiate a price with the buyers.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM

23,317 posts, read 17,484,868 times
BeltLine to extend to Reynoldstown and Glenwood Park coming soon via the Krog Street Tunnel. Better news is the character of the tunnel will be preserved.
BeltLine extension to Reynoldstown, Glenwood Park coming soon - Atlanta INtown Paper | Atlanta INtown Paper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta