U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
 
2,077 posts, read 2,012,407 times
Reputation: 1430

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
BeltLine to extend to Reynoldstown and Glenwood Park coming soon via the Krog Street Tunnel. Better news is the character of the tunnel will be preserved.
BeltLine extension to Reynoldstown, Glenwood Park coming soon - Atlanta INtown Paper | Atlanta INtown Paper
It'll be interesting to see what the permanent solution there is. Funny how the rail corridors both allow for the construction of the trail, while simultaneously creating some of it's biggest obstacles. Additional lighting in the Krog tunnel and repaving are going to be welcome upgrades for anyone (cars included) that use it. I am worried that the lack of protected left turns at Krog and Dekalb is going to create even worse gridlock in that area once Krog Street Market brings even more traffic to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,243 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the permanent solution there is. Funny how the rail corridors both allow for the construction of the trail, while simultaneously creating some of it's biggest obstacles. Additional lighting in the Krog tunnel and repaving are going to be welcome upgrades for anyone (cars included) that use it. I am worried that the lack of protected left turns at Krog and Dekalb is going to create even worse gridlock in that area once Krog Street Market brings even more traffic to the area.
So don't allow left turns. Drivers could continue north along krog and turn onto Edgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,525,287 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So don't allow left turns. Drivers could continue north along krog and turn onto Edgewood.
As someone who uses Krog Tunnel every day, I don't find that left turns onto Dekalb cause a problem. If it did, moving the left turn to Edgewood would only shift the problem by one block. The problem is actually the volume of cars, particularly from the Reynoldstown side of Wylie heading towards Krog.

Now, people turning left into the tunnel from Dekalb Ave. in the afternoon, that causes huge backups since they only have one lane in the afternoon. I've seen it backed up past the Inman Park station once or twice. It's common for only one or two cars to make it through each green light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,243 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Now, people turning left into the tunnel from Dekalb Ave. in the afternoon, that causes huge backups since they only have one lane in the afternoon. I've seen it backed up past the Inman Park station once or twice. It's common for only one or two cars to make it through each green ligh
DeKalb Ave, should be 2 lanes in each direction, bike lanes, and protected left turns at major streets.
The contra-flow lane sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Georgia
1,451 posts, read 1,353,029 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DeKalb Ave, should be 2 lanes in each direction, bike lanes, and protected left turns at major streets.
The contra-flow lane sucks.
Very true. It's hardly enough space though with MARTA flying over RIGHT THERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,525,287 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DeKalb Ave, should be 2 lanes in each direction, bike lanes, and protected left turns at major streets.
The contra-flow lane sucks.
I agree the reversible lane is awful. Your plan would probably be ideal, but creating it would require them to tear down a lot of businesses and residences. The current proposal is to make it one direction each way with a bike lane. That plan would essentailly kill Dekalb Ave. as a commuting option into Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,243 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree the reversible lane is awful. Your plan would probably be ideal, but creating it would require them to tear down a lot of businesses and residences. The current proposal is to make it one direction each way with a bike lane. That plan would essentailly kill Dekalb Ave. as a commuting option into Downtown.
There is no need to tear down businesses, just widen the areas at traffic lights.
There's a rapid transit line that follows DeKalb to pick up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,525,287 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no need to tear down businesses, just widen the areas at traffic lights.
That could be a workable solution. Krog would still be a challenge, though, since thers a residence on one corner and a warehouse on the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Georgia
1,451 posts, read 1,353,029 times
Reputation: 1055
Something I've been wondering for months now: If the next phase of the Beltline is fully funded, why must they wait until after the new Edgewood Ave bridge is finished? You mean we'd have to wait almost a YEAR to see any work get done on up about a mile's worth of trail all because it runs under a bridge for 50 feet? Can't they just do both at the same time? What's the hold up?

Quote:
When the new Edgewood Avenue bridge is complete (scheduled for early 2014, with a ramp and stairs connecting Edgewood Avenue to the Beltline), construction will commence on the current trail from Irwin Street to DeKalb Avenue. Beltine officials have said this extension is fully funded; a Woodruff Foundation grant is helping the trail eventually reach Memorial Drive, near the Glenwood community. Beyond that, funding is pending.
Specifics Unveiled For Betline's Next Extension - Beltline Beat - Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,661,090 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Something I've been wondering for months now: If the next phase of the Beltline is fully funded, why must they wait until after the new Edgewood Ave bridge is finished? You mean we'd have to wait almost a YEAR to see any work get done on up about a mile's worth of trail all because it runs under a bridge for 50 feet? Can't they just do both at the same time? What's the hold up?

Specifics Unveiled For Betline's Next Extension - Beltline Beat - Curbed Atlanta
I asked the same question earlier today on a Curbed post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top