U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,141,710 times
Reputation: 1777

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
No transit project is going to touch used/worn rail. It can be purposed in furniture and art, but it's life carrying loads has long since passed.
Why not recycle it? And I don't mean repurpose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,529,513 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I hope that on some part of the beltline they will inset the old rails into the walking path like they do on the highline in NYC...very nice touch to remind people where it came from...
Another good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,529,513 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why not recycle it? And I don't mean repurpose it.
I would be surprised if they didn't recycle most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,661,090 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why not recycle it? And I don't mean repurpose it.
People would rather look green than be green. This shows up everywhere including volunteer vacations, charity 5k runs, Toms shoes, cheap reusable grocery bags etc. People put looking compassionate before being compassionate. None of those things are necessarily bad but most of the time there is a much more effective solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 4,523,358 times
Reputation: 1732
Used rail is probably one of the most frequently recycled materials on the planet. Scrap yards aren't allowed to take rail without certification that it is coming from the legitimate owner--it's so valuable people will steal and scrap it themselves otherwise.

Also, used rail is very commonly reused on freight rail projects. The biggest problem is that rail weights used when many old rail yards were built (<100 pounds per linear yard) aren't suitable for modern railroading--that's the stuff that ends up getting scrapped. But the rail itself lasts a really long time, and if it's a suitable weight will typically be reused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,529,513 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Also, used rail is very commonly reused on freight rail projects. The biggest problem is that rail weights used when many old rail yards were built (<100 pounds per linear yard) aren't suitable for modern railroading--that's the stuff that ends up getting scrapped. But the rail itself lasts a really long time, and if it's a suitable weight will typically be reused.
So it would seem that old freight rail could be reused for the type of passenger rail they intent to build along the beltline or on the streetcar, which is much lighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,661,090 times
Reputation: 1197
Taking A Look At Atlanta's Future (In Trails) - Taking to the Trails - Curbed Atlanta Among other news, cycle track is coming to 10th street. It should be done in the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
 
3,209 posts, read 4,523,358 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So it would seem that old freight rail could be reused for the type of passenger rail they intent to build along the beltline or on the streetcar, which is much lighter.
Honestly whether rail is suitable for a purpose comes down to a lot of really mundane things, but for public transit I'd want to just spend the extra money upfront and have less maintenance. New rail costs about $20 a foot, or $40 per track foot, which means the rail costs of the entire ~20 mile Beltline project will be about $10 million. Chump change in the grand scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,243 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Reputation: 4924
Default 10th Street Cycle Track

Phase 1 of the 10th Street cycle track is almost done.
'Cycle Track' Coming to 10th Street (Like, Soon!) - Right On, Track - Curbed Atlanta
It is a 2-way bike lane that is separated from 10th street traffic by plastic posts and painted green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,590 posts, read 8,687,532 times
Reputation: 5093
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Honestly whether rail is suitable for a purpose comes down to a lot of really mundane things, but for public transit I'd want to just spend the extra money upfront and have less maintenance. New rail costs about $20 a foot, or $40 per track foot, which means the rail costs of the entire ~20 mile Beltline project will be about $10 million. Chump change in the grand scheme of things.
Is that dollar amount include the installation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top