U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times

Advertisements

Here's something that annoys me slightly. Why is it that they talk so much about the High line as being the inspiration of these other projects?

What is the Beltline, chopped liver?

Quote:
“The Red Line” could be Cleveland’s answer to New York’s High Line or Chicago’s Bloomingdale Trail, rails-to-trails projects that have captured the imaginations of their respective cities as an answer to questions surrounding transportation, aging infrastructure and urban placemaking.

The Rotary Club of Cleveland is pushing the idea of a three-mile greenway connecting five city neighborhoods to downtown. That would make the old RTA Red Line trail longer than both the High Line and the Bloomingdale Trail.

More...CLEVELAND EYES RED LINE FOR RAILS-TO-TRAILS PROJECT[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's something that annoys me slightly. Why is it that they talk so much about the High line as being the inspiration of these other projects?

What is the Beltline, chopped liver?

Maybe because the High Line is completed and the Beltline is still developing?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM

104 posts, read 109,097 times
There's been talk of adding cameras to the Beltline for security purposes. I know some don't like the idea because it would make them feel like they're living in a surveillance state. But given how crowded it can get, it'd be nice if there were cameras that are accessible to the public so we could check on how busy it is before going out. Anyone know of a construction cam or other publicly accessible camera that shows a part of the Beltline?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Updates on development of the SW and SE portions.
Southwest and Southeast Corridor Design Update // Atlanta BeltLine

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

280 posts, read 293,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Updates on development of the SW and SE portions.
Southwest and Southeast Corridor Design Update // Atlanta BeltLine
A good update. The single track will create significant problems. I have walked the Southwest portion and the corridor is very narrow. There are areas where the ROW is at the bottom of a narrow ditch and tunnels that are only one train wide. I wonder if they will be able to keep the transit and trail next to each other.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
A good update. The single track will create significant problems. I have walked the Southwest portion and the corridor is very narrow. There are areas where the ROW is at the bottom of a narrow ditch and tunnels that are only one train wide. I wonder if they will be able to keep the transit and trail next to each other.
I figured they could widen the trench for 2 tracks. The West End trail is already built, not need for a duplicate trail, above the trench.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,428,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
There's been talk of adding cameras to the Beltline for security purposes. I know some don't like the idea because it would make them feel like they're living in a surveillance state. But given how crowded it can get, it'd be nice if there were cameras that are accessible to the public so we could check on how busy it is before going out. Anyone know of a construction cam or other publicly accessible camera that shows a part of the Beltline?
I don't get all the objection to cameras. London and other cities like it have been loaded with CCT cameras for a long time now. You can't walk from one end of central London to another without being observed by camera most of the way. And it's been good for crime there. In my opinion they need that much more in Atlanta than in London. Criminals here thrive on taking advantage of dark lonesome areas with few or no witnesses to commit crimes. Many commit robberies with mask on because they know cameras are around but then get away in vehicles that can't be identified because there are no cameras where they are driving. The police are overwhelmed by the crime occurring here and cameras would be a huge help to them.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Good Q&A with the new Beltline CEO: New Beltline CEO on Southwest Trail, affordability, and streetcars along the 22-mile parks, trails, and loop | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
I know they have security cameras on the Lilburn trail and they didn't cost very much. That's a really nice place for a walk, once you get there.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If businesses that line the trail could adjust their cameras to show the trail, then that feed can be sent to APD's video surveillance center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta