U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
JPD

11,973 posts, read 14,623,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How do we know they don't want to live there?

Why not simply put a moratorium on permits in the NE until the other sections of the Beltline have a chance to catch up?

Otherwise, we're likely to wind up with the same lopsided development patterns that plague us now.

Look at what happened to downtown when all the businesses moved up to Midtown and Buckhead (and beyond). Is that something we want to repeat? This time we have a chance to stop it early.
You're speaking as if there is no interest in developing the South side of the Beltline. That isn't true. Developers are salivating over the land in the SE Beltline area. Habitat For Humanity is currently redeveloping a huge lot on Memorial that has been vacant and rotting for years. On the other side of I-20 from there, a large mixed use project is in the permiting process.

In my opinion, as more of the Beltline gets paved, we'll see devlopment in more areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 AM

139 posts, read 182,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
On the other side of I-20 from there, a large mixed use project is in the permiting process.
Surely you are not talking about Fuqua's Walmart.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Here's my ultimate take on the inequity of the Beltline.

We all knew the Eastside Trail would be the easiest and most successful. The path is there, the development has come. Stop spending money on the Eastside Trail. There are incredible properties, like JPD said, along Memorial and Bill Kennedy way. Developers are not salivating - they are tepid at best. Start paving the path south to Glenwood Park and the interest will go up significantly. There is great doubt as to when that will happen.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
Surely you are not talking about Fuqua's Walmart.
Yes. That is a development, no?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Yes, but by no means is it mixed use or desirable.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 AM

I fully believe we'd get better proposals and more interest if investors actually believed the Beltline extending to Glenwood was imminent.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM

402 posts, read 572,749 times
Quote:
100's of millions in public investment (O4W) is not a natural occurrence. Getting your own dedicated police precinct (O4W) is not a natural occurrence. These are calculated, political decisions. That O4W got all of this is great for them. It sucks for those of us getting nothing right now in terms of public investment.
English Ave. and Vine City have received millions in investments as well, yet they are (probably) the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta. The idea that restricting development in one area will force development in another is ridiculous. Let it happen, drive up the land value on the East side and development will naturally flow to cheaper land, people will flow to cheaper leases/rents. Basically, we should be rooting for a bonanza of development on the east, south, north, and west. The idea of the Beltline is a connected community. Thus, if this becomes reality, someone wanting to party/live in VaHi, but can't afford it, should theoretically be able to live on the Southside of town, and take the Beltline path/rail to VaHi easily!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM

402 posts, read 572,749 times
Quote:
I fully believe we'd get better proposals and more interest if investors actually believed the Beltline extending to Glenwood was imminent.
I think the success of *just* the trail on the Eastside speaks for itself. In my opinion, the city should drop all other goals and just build the freaking path around the city! If we get that 22 mile loop of trails that would be an excellent platform to grow the tax base for the rail portion.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,175,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
I think the success of *just* the trail on the Eastside speaks for itself. In my opinion, the city should drop all other goals and just build the freaking path around the city! If we get that 22 mile loop of trails that would be an excellent platform to grow the tax base for the rail portion.
Agreed. I don't necessarily think developers should be in any way forced to develop other sections of the beltline, but at the same time, it is not fun watching all of the development happen in one place. Obviously, the main reason for this is the Eastside Trail is the only completed section of the beltline in an already densely built area (in terms of pedestrian access). I would LOVE to see development start on the southeast sections of the beltline, but that will not happen until the City gets the ROW for the active railroad tracks that are there right now. Whenever I ask anything about that ROW to beltline representatives, the answer is always "I don't know" or "we are working on it". But there are never any updates about it. Until the ROW is cleared through the southeast, we won't have any development or link to the new trail. The developers are private, so you can't push them to build in areas they don't want to, but the Beltline is a public investment, and there should be more pushing from the public for them to acquire the ROW and begin building other sections of the path, rather than focusing all of their efforts in one place.

Last edited by CCATL; 02-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: I said it was the only section of the beltline completed - that's wrong. It's just completed in an already booming area.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
JPD

Quote:
Yes, but by no means is it mixed use or desirable.
Not relevant to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta