U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's right across from the Citicenter Kroger.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gordo...11,184.14,,0,0
So the only way to access it if you don't live in the area is to take a train and a bus, or drive and park illegally at Kroger?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So the only way to access it if you don't live in the area is to take a train and a bus, or drive and park illegally at Kroger?
Well, that's more or less true of the Eastside trail, too, isn't it?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Why not put a moratorium on new permits in the NE quadrant and let the south and west sides of town catch up?
Bad idea. Will just cause developers to go other places besides the Beltline. Let development occur naturally. It will spread.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM

402 posts, read 568,655 times
Quote:
I will have to admit I've only been on it once, and that was shortly after it opened.

However, the trail connects directly to Gordon White park.

Let's also not forget that the Southwest Connector trail (another 4.5 miles) started construction last month.
Honestly, I've only been the the Westend trail once as well for the Beltline running series, but from what I remember, it seemed like it was mainly just sidewalks by the road... not really a stand alone path like the East side trail. Same goes for the Northside trail, I've ran it a few times, but it mainly just winds through established neighborhoods - not much area to develop new stuff.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Honestly, I've only been the the Westend trail once as well for the Beltline running series, but from what I remember, it seemed like it was mainly just sidewalks by the road... not really a stand alone path like the East side trail. Same goes for the Northside trail, I've ran it a few times, but it mainly just winds through established neighborhoods - not much area to develop new stuff.
They aren't actually part of the Beltline loop. They are connector trails. That's why they keep saying the Eastside trail is the first Beltline portion. It is the first portion that is indicative of what the remaining portions of the loop will look like. It is also the first section to be opened that uses rail corridors.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM
JPD

Quote:
Well, that's more or less true of the Eastside trail, too, isn't it?
I don't think it is. The Atlanta Path connects to the Eastside Beltline trail and it can be accessed at any number of places between there and Stone Mountain, including immediate access to the Path at Inman Park station. So you could walk, jog, or ride a bike to the Beltline from many different parts of town without ever traveling on a road (although some portions of the Path ARE on the road).

I'm looking forward to the day the same can be said of the entire Beltline.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Actually I guess there is pretty good access to both the Eastside and West End trails.

Enable "Access Points" in this map there are detailed instructions and (and in most cases videos) for each access point.

http://beltline.org/map-popup/

Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,154,979 times
In terms of development, I am hoping that what I said earlier about no development until the SE ROW is acquired is proven wrong. I drove down Boulevard today, and all of the vacant properties and land lining the beltline and the new Englewood Park are for sale. I think they must be in the beltline TAD and sub area for planning, so I assume mixed use and/or dense development is required there. Really hoping to see those properties sold and put to good use, it would be a big one for the as of now undeveloped portion of the southeastern beltline by Grant Park. Hope something good comes along soon!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Bad idea. Will just cause developers to go other places besides the Beltline. Let development occur naturally. It will spread.
I agree. Naturally the eastern portion will fire up first, but the western sections will follow. If this city has learned anything (I hope), its not to force development but to let it develop organically. I have faith in the future of the entire Beltline.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
JPD

Quote:
Actually I guess there is pretty good access to both the Eastside and West End trails.

Enable "Access Points" in this map there are detailed instructions and (and in most cases videos) for each access point.

http://beltline.org/map-popup/
All those access points on the west trail require using streets or sidewalks. My point was that the east trail has connectivity to many parts of town via paved paths that are separate from roadways. I hope all portions of the beltline will evetually have similar conectivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta