U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,943,070 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Falcons could have a pretty decent chance at landing some good talent this offseason.

I already knew the Falcons had at least 1 pick in each of the 7 rounds, but I wasn't thrilled about that because the Falcons have more than 7 holes on both sides of the ball to fill. Falcons have needs at TE, DE, OG, DT, LB, LB, RB, DB, OT (and some say even a backup QB because we're screwed if Ryan goes out) positions and I just didn't see how what looks like a pretty slim Free Agency year, only $7million currently in cap space and only 7 picks were going to solve all of those problems. That almost looks like you need a whole new team.

HOWEVER, after reading this article, it appears that the good ol Black & Blood has 4 extra picks in the draft coming their way. That should give the team 10-11 picks in this year's draft. With all of that to work with, I imagine they could trade up for a better draft pick early, then use the leftover to work on DEPTH at the positions. I imagine they COULD just stay with their orders and go in on depth on both sides of the ball and look at trading for the immediate fill needs like RB and TE. There are many new possibilities to be discussed with having 10+ draft picks to choose from with a team that was 10 yards away from a Superbowl. Things are finally starting to look a little brighter after the Atlanta Syndrome disappointment 2 weeks ago.

MAYBE, Just MAYBE we can come away from this Free Agency and draft with a NEW YOUNG TE Talent, a Good RB and a SOLID Defense and Offensive line with depth...

(Yes, I said Black and Blood because that's what stains the floor after those Falcons go to war!!! OR, is that Matt Ryan's blood? Lol... For those that have never heard the term "Black & Blood" before, it's something that you could seldom hear (never grew big) yelled from the few die-hards out there at tailgating parties and such, back when the Falcons became "The Black Pack" back in 1991. Maybe time to ressurect the "Black Pack" or "Black & Blood?" Or do we continue with "Rise Up" even though they didn't earn it?).

About the Draft Picks:
Falcons Projected To Have Four Compensatory Picks In 2013 NFL Draft - The Falcoholic

Draft Order and mock draft:
2013 NFL Mock Draft Central - NFL.com

2013 Free Agents:
2013 NFL Free Agent Tracker
2013 NFL Free Agents

Can use this to search salaries, free agents, contracts, team caps, etc...:
Atlanta Falcons Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions

Here's a few things to keep an eye out for...

According to some mock drafts, some are choosing the Falcons to select TE Tyler Eifert with the 1st Round #30 pick.

Tyler Eifert is the TE for Notre Dame.
He's a big boy at 6'6" and 251lbs. Compare that to Tony Gonzalez: 6'5"/245lbs or Vernon Davis: 6'3"/250lbs
Apparently, his numbers have declined in 2012, but just keep an eye out for what he looks like at the combine. That MAY be our new guy.

So that's 1 pick for TE
Is it possible to trade Michael Turner to anybody, or will no-one take a chance on an over 30 RB that had such a lack luster year as he did?

As for Free Agent RBs: (1 or 2 picks)
Well, Chris Johnson is off the market, DeAngelo Williams is off the market, Steven Jackson is getting old even though his contract expires next season...
That leaves: Reggie Bush, Shonn Greene, Felix Jones, Cedric Benson, Peyton Hillis, Rashard Mendenhall and Danny Woodhead... I don't think any of them are anything to shout about. They all have either already been worn through with like 7-8 years in and are getting RB old, or they just don't produce.
Anybody have any ideas for RB solutions? Do we HAVE to rely on the draft for this position? MAYBE

The Defensive Back issue: (Pick or FA?)
Brent Grimes contract is up, and he makes $10million/year. He's a Pro Bowler who missed all of last season/his contract season due to an injury. I'm guessing he MAY not be able to be kept. If so, then good on ya. But if not, that poses an extra problem because both Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson are getting old AND neither can tackle. Asante has decent coverage and can catch alright, but CAN NOT TACKLE TO SAVE HIS DAUGHTER'S LIFE. And Dunta is just overrated. His hands suck, he can't tackle, AND he gets burnt on coverage. Oh well, his contract is good til 2015.
So, I'm asking, do we spend draft picks on RB and search the FA for a DB?
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is available and only 26years old.

We're good at the Safety position. But if we could just put a little more DEPTH and size (and hopefully speed) in the backfield for Nolan to play with, we could actually end up with a shut down secondary.

Linebackers: (2 picks)
Not that anything is "wrong" with Weatherspoon, Nicholas and Dent, but their backups don't provide any sort of depth at the LB position and it always causes an issue. We should probably search the draft for a young, ATHLETIC/FAST sideline to sideline LB and maybe use some picks to add depth to that position and give Nolan more weapons to play with. Maybe with more depth, and bigger linemen, we can play a 3-4 as oppose to the 4-3.
Imagine trading up in the draft to pick up Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree or Manti Te'o and placing them where Nicholas is now. And having a Weatherspoon, Dent, Jones/Jordan LB core with Nicholas, James and Peterson AND another draft pick backing them up. THAT might be some good enough depth to keep fresh LBs on the field.
I'm also wondering if the Falcons will revisit resigning Lofa Tatupu. He should be healthy for 2013. Just maybe he could add some more much needed depth.

Defensive Linemen: (1 pick)
After the letdown of Ray Edwards, we need to give Abraham and Biermann some help. Abraham is getting old. Biermann certainly stepped up to the challenge and performed better than Ray after taking his spot, BUT we need to look at the future and have less Abraham on the field. Definitely use a draft pick and early on for this position. It's TOO important of a position to let deteriorate.

Quarterback: (maybe 1 pick)
Matty Ice is human. He CAN get injured. Well, he IS injured. But the issue is, can we trust in McCowan and Davis in the case we have to play a few without #2? Well, from what I've seen of them in the pre-season, the answer is a LOUD "NO!!!!"
Might be a smart investment to take a chance on a young, late in the draft, with something to prove, draft pick on a backup QB and let him start learning the ropes NOW from Matty.
It's looking more and more likely that Matt's contract is about to hit us for $20million+ which is going to eat away that remaining cap space until contract season starts and some things get restructured. But, I don't foresee, even after restructure, us coming away with much to spend. Grimes may be losing a job because of Ryan's contract year. OR, if due to his injury and inability to play, we can negotiate a smaller deal to keep Grimes, then things may work out.

Offensive Line: (2 picks)
Oh, this offensive line... I will say they stood up against the Niners and Seahawks, and gave Matt some decent time in the pocket, BUT they SUCK at the rush game. They are terrible at opening a gap and creating running lanes for the Backs. And, it just got a little worse having to move Konz into Center because Todd McClure is retiring. It's important we spend a draft pick on a RG, and maybe even an OT because Tyson Clabo is already going on 10 years at the position.

So far, that's only 9 picks used of possibly 10-11 picks IF we resort to FA for the secondary, and IF the Falcons DO get 4 compensatory picks. If not, then there will be holes left.
BUT, back to IF they DO have all those picks, we COULD use 1 or 2 of those picks, plus a position player to try moving our draft order UP in the 1st round to insure coming away with Jarvis Jones or Manti Te'o... We'd have to make a HUGE BLOCKBUSTER trade WAAAY up to pull off getting Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan or even Manti, but if we could have done it for Julio, maybe we can pull it off again?

My final dream offseason evaluation goes something like this:

1st Round *Trade up for
#3-12 – LB Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree or Manti Te’o[/SIZE]
1st Round
#30 – Traded for 1st Rd pick

2nd Round
TE Tyler Eifert

3rd Round
DE

4th Round
OG
4th Round
RB

5th Round
OT

6th Round
DT

7th Round
LB
7th Round
RB
7th Round
QB
7th Round
LB

Resign CB Grimes
Sign CB Rodgers-Cromartie

Trade either CB Dunta Robinson or CB Brent Grimes to Lions, Dolphins or Buccaneers + #30 1st round pick, money and a 4th round pick for 2014

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 01-30-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,911,088 times
yeah whatever

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,943,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
yeah whatever
Why?
You feel they have no shot turning this into a team changer?
Still upset with them? I am, BUT I'm searching for hope

And this news, IF used right is a great deal of hope.

Especially if Tony Gonzo decides to stay and give it just one more year... Then we probably wouldn't have to jump at trying to get Tyler Eifert early and can focus on that defense that gives away leads, and that offensive line that can't create a running lane.

10-11 picks?!?!?! Mike Nolan's & Dirk Koetter's mouths must be watering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta